Travel games and toys

TOBS2010

A dream is a wish your heart makes...
We will be traveling to WDW with a 5 and 2 year old. Looking for recommendations on any travel games/toys that you brought with you that are small and travel well to be played with on the airplane and in the hotel room during down time. Both kids will have Kindle Fires---but I would like to try and find some different things that don't always involve screens for them to do too.

Simple coloring books and crayons, though the crayons will hold up better if you put them in an Altoids can or something similar.
Magnadoodle boards that have the attached pen/writer
I Spy Books
Disney Eye Found It Cards
Small I Spy bottle
Small Magnaformers sets
Create-a-scene books

For the 5 yr old, I would suggest plus plus blocks, the Orb Factory sticker mosaics, deck of cards for go fish, colored pencils & paper, and Usborne activity book or a word search book.

When my kids were closer to 2 yo, I would bring a handful of Duplos, the take along Thomas trains, triangle crayons and coloring pages, and fun shaped post it notes. There also larger sized plus plus blocks but I never tried those when they were 2.

HTH!

Sticker books, magnetic play sets, color wonder, books to read to them are all great for the plane. Special snacks can be fun too. A box of animals crackers and the encouragement to create a zoo on the tray, a small box of fruit loops to sort or to string on a piece of string and then eat, tiny colorful candies to sort and eat. For the room I like to take a couple open ended toys. A bag of legos or a few matchbox cars and always a good multi story book. One trip we did DS the first night and we did the LEGO store and did the fill a bucket with legos and the potato head box. Kid played with those two things the whole trip. Don’t forget to save a couple things for the trip home.

My plan is to make my 3 1/2 yr old a special travel fun kit. And she knows nothing about it. So I'm hoping the surprise of new stuff will keep her entertained. I too want other things besides her Kindle. Everything is Disney themed- of course. So play and go Elena and Vamprina coloring/activity books, Moana Magic color, Melissa and Doug water wow (these things are awesome!), Moana playing cards for Go Fish and a few books. All items were found at the Dollar spot at Target or Michaels.

I always go to the dollar store and get a bunch of cheap Disney themed toys (puzzles,coloring books,whatever they have) and make a grab bag of stuff. On the car ride down, when they get antsy we let them pick something. They like the element of surprise and it keeps them busy.

My kiddos have always loved all of the Melissa and Doug Activity Pads...the water wows that someone else mentioned are their favorite. Wikki Stixs are also wonderful entertainment. We have used magnetic travel games and sticker sets as well. I also let my kids pick out a couple of small toys from home to bring...my DS always chooses little cars and DD will bring a mini character set to play with.

Pipe cleaners and/or wiki sticks are great. I like Pipe cleaners a little more b/c they aren't sticky. Not a game - but lollipops are great for the airplane. When my kiddo is getting a bit nutty on the flight these have always been a lifesaver!

Also- MIL just picked up travel Uno and a Rock, paper, scissors card game. Nice to have a few quiet games to play on the plane.

Do you have magnatiles? I have friends that travel with them in a little pouch (not tons of them) and have found them great for planes. We sometimes bring coloring books with crayons/colored pencils or WaterWows (they're great) for long roadtrips. We've also done the magnetic tins with magnets that are themed. I think the manufacturer is T.S. Shure, but we've also found similar ones at World Market (Mickey, Curious George, Ballet, Zoo, trains, etc)

Also- are you flying Southwest? My daughter uses the in-flight magazine to play "I Spy" and we make games out of it (i.e. Find a bus, count how many of the letter B you see on this page, hunt for a certain word, etc). She'll also stack the pretzels on a straw from the beverage service, etc.

Do you have magnatiles? I have friends that travel with them in a little pouch (not tons of them) and have found them great for planes. We sometimes bring coloring books with crayons/colored pencils or WaterWows (they're great) for long roadtrips. We've also done the magnetic tins with magnets that are themed. I think the manufacturer is T.S. Shure, but we've also found similar ones at World Market (Mickey, Curious George, Ballet, Zoo, trains, etc)

Also- are you flying Southwest? My daughter uses the in-flight magazine to play "I Spy" and we make games out of it (i.e. Find a bus, count how many of the letter B you see on this page, hunt for a certain word, etc). She'll also stack the pretzels on a straw from the beverage service, etc.
The I-SPY with the magazine is genius!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter