Trattoria al Forno or Kona breakfast?

Shellbells

DIS Veteran
Our first full day is a resort day. We're staying at WL and booked Kona for breakfast. We planned and walking around the Poly and GF before going back to WL and enjoy the pool.

But Trattoria came up on my reservation finder and I was able to snag it. Now, I can't decide which on to keep. I'd also like to walk around the boardwalk and check out all 3 Epcot resorts. Plus is love to see the characters. And if we're there long enough I'd like to try Ample hills before going back to WL.
My biggest dilemma is the food. The menu at Trattoria is kind of odd to me. It looks like they put tomato sauce on almost everything. Which seems weird at breakfast.

Which would you guys keep? It will be me, DH, DS16 and DS12. DS12 can either eat like a horse or barely eat a thing so he might order off the kids meal at either place but will for sure eat bacon no matter what, lol.

Our first full day is a resort day. We're staying at WL and booked Kona for breakfast. We planned and walking around the Poly and GF before going back to WL and enjoy the pool.

But Trattoria came up on my reservation finder and I was able to snag it. Now, I can't decide which on to keep. I'd also like to walk around the boardwalk and check out all 3 Epcot resorts. Plus is love to see the characters. And if we're there long enough I'd like to try Ample hills before going back to WL.
My biggest dilemma is the food. The menu at Trattoria is kind of odd to me. It looks like they put tomato sauce on almost everything. Which seems weird at breakfast.

Which would you guys keep? It will be me, DH, DS16 and DS12. DS12 can either eat like a horse or barely eat a thing so he might order off the kids meal at either place but will for sure eat bacon no matter what, lol.
Since your plans already revolve around the monorail hotels I'd eat at Kona and save the Boardwalk tour for later in the evening when the buskers are out and the area is livelier.

Never eaten at Trattoria but if you feel many breakfast items are served with tomato sauce and that's unusual to your eating style, it's a no thinker- don't eat there.

Have a good time whatever you choose to do:).

Hmmm, I’m torn for you. We enjoyed Trattoria last December. Not every entree has tomato sauce, but several do. Mine had it and although I find it odd too, I was okay with it after all. The entrees are large and you get the pastries. We thought watching the kids with characters were fun. We rarely do character meals but I do like Rapunzel a lot. Aside from food, I’m torn in my advice because the Boardwalk isn’t super active until the evening. I love that area and Ample Hills, I just can’t imagine having enough to do for more than an hour or so after the meal, unless you went into Epcot or DHS. I personally feel that there’s more to see and do in the MK resort area during the morning and afternoon hours. But I don’t love Kona’s breakfast menu, haha!

Food alone, I’d go to Trattoria. Entertainment focused, I’d stick with Kona.

I don't think Trattoria is worth trekking all the way to BWI on a resort day. Personally, if staying at WL, I would boat over to CR, eat at the Wave and then do the monorail tour from there. The food is better than Kona IMHO and it's much more convenient to get to. If it's truly between Kona and Trattoria, I would pick Kona and save the Boardwalk area for an evening when the entertainers are out. The Boardwalk is a bit boring during the day, IMHO.

I'd go with Kona. Although to be honest, i'd do The Wave breakfast at the contemporary resort. They have a delicious little buffet at a great price ($23/pp for adults). It includes your drinks. You can also order off the menu if someone in your group doesnt want the buffet. Love this place for breakfast way more than Kona. :)

Since your plans already revolve around the monorail hotels I'd eat at Kona and save the Boardwalk tour for later in the evening when the buskers are out and the area is livelier.

Never eaten at Trattoria but if you feel many breakfast items are served with tomato sauce and that's unusual to your eating style, it's a no thinker- don't eat there.

Have a good time whatever you choose to do:).
I agree with this. Eat at Kona and save the Boardwalk for the afternoon or evening. Ample Hills is definitely worth trying! I love their brownie sundae!!!

I'm going with your suggestions. We'll keep Kona. We're going to MK at 7 pm for AH so we're going to try and do the Epcot resorts another night. With all the early extra hours, I'm sure we'll be done with HS early enough to go over at least one night.
Thank you everyone 😁

Not sure where you saw tomato sauce. We had breakfast there recently and none of our food had tomato sauce. Some have tiny bits of tomato, but no sauce.

Ths menu is not updated, but the current one is similar. I got Flynns Feast which was eggs, potatoes and toast.

We also ate at Konas for breakfast. It was A LOT cheaper, at about $15 per person (TaF is $40pp), but of course no characters. We liked Konas food better, but meeting Eric and Flynn for the 1st time was fun. We wont go back to TaF again, but it was nice to do once...like BOG!!!

Not sure where you saw tomato sauce. We had breakfast there recently and none of our food had tomato sauce. Some have tiny bits of tomato, but no sauce.

View attachment 437628

Ths menu is not updated, but the current one is similar. I got Flynns Feast which was eggs, potatoes and toast.

We also ate at Konas for breakfast. It was A LOT cheaper, at about $15 per person (TaF is $40pp), but of course no characters. We liked Konas food better, but meeting Eric and Flynn for the 1st time was fun. We wont go back to TaF again, but it was nice to do once...like BOG!!!
The first three of those menu items include “Sunday Gravy” in the description. That’s Italian-American speak for tomato sauce.

The first three of those menu items include “Sunday Gravy” in the description. That’s Italian-American speak for tomato sauce.
Depending on what region your people come from in Italy the sauce will be cooked with meat. No idea if this restaurant's version is meatless or not.

Im as Italian as you get and never heard of that, but looked it up...its a Jersey thing, which makes sense on the Boardwalk! I guess we lucked out with the 3 entrees we got...not 1 had tomato sauce. I suppose you can ask for your meal without it. My daughter got the tower of pancakes, but when we were there, it was banana sauce, not apple and she asked for hers without and used syrup instead. I got Flynns Feast, typical eggs any style, potatoes, toast and I think choice of breakfast meat. My husband got the Royal Breakfast.

I found Trattoria breakfast fabulous, and won’t go to Kona again (unless a member of my party really wants to go there). But in your instance, I’d get breakfast closer to the monorail...but at the Wave or GF Cafe before Kona.

Honestly we LOVE Konas and do breakfast here every trip (usually the morning before we head home. The Macadamia Pancakes, Tonga Toast and Fruit bowl are awesome. We get a French press and the Juice (which we love). Never had a bad meal or service here. :-) Plus I love the Poly

My multigenerational family ate at Trattoria al Forno for breakfast in June, we completely enjoyed it! Yes, there is a marinara type sauce on some of the entrees but not all. We found the sauce so delicious that we booked a dinner there for our last night on property, cancelling our reservation for Enzo’s Hideaway. We were not disappointed, the dinner was fantastic.
The breakfast was enjoyed by all, the pastries and coffee were outstanding. We all got different breakfast entrees meaning we basically ordered the entire menu and all were pleased, even the picky eaters. The character interaction was the best we have had in many years! I definitely recommend this breakfast! Go for the pastries alone!!!

we really enjoyed breakfast at Trattoria Al Forno this past trip. Grant it, we stayed at Boardwalk so it was very convenient. We asked for the Sunday gravy on the side. Everything was delicious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter