Trash will now be taken every day

This sort of hyperbole weakens the overall message. Is it an inconvenience to do all of these things? Yes. Are they randomly arresting you, and throwing you in prison without letting your family members even know whether or not you are alive? Not quite...
Referring to moves like this as being a 'police state' seems almost disrespectful to people in history to have had to deal with actual police states.

As for the magic bands, they are optional. You can just request a card ticket and put it in a RFID proof wallet if it bothers you so much.

What is a card ticket? I have an annual pass for park entry and FP+, but does the front desk still have strictly key cards available?

Last edited:
A common theme of tour guides is to hit parks at rope drop, take a long mid day break, and go back in evening.

THIS is the chief advantage to staying on property, the ease of taking a mid day pool/nap break.

If Disney has decided that interrupting the mid day break is acceptable, then they are destroying one of the chief benefits to staying on property.

This, btw, is exactly how we park commando. We are normally lounging at resort mid day.

Oh we take breaks but never nap. Our children did when they were small, but not now.

An email I just sent off to Mr. Potrock et al:

As a DVC member from year 1 and currently owning over 800 points, I don't appreciate the newly implemented daily security checks of the Member’s rooms, particularly under the guise of daily trash removal or the extra monies it will require to implement out of my dues. When my family and I check in, unless absolutely necessary, we never use “Mousekeeping” as we prefer to do our own housekeeping, and I would prefer to keep it that way. Unfortunately, that no longer seems be an option, even though DVC Members would be the least likely of any guests to cause a problem. I resent the fact that housekeepers are more trusted than the Members as far as safety/security is concerned. Who knows what a team of housekeepers could be up to with such unfettered room access?

My degree of ownership allows me the luxury of using DVC as a 2nd home, not just a bed to sleep in after hopping around the parks all day long. This is the foremost reason for purchasing DVC, the ability to book villas, rather than a hotel room, with separate living/dining/bedroom areas and laundry facilities within each unit. I, and others, frequently sleep late, take naps, and don’t leave the room until late in the day. To be able to live with this objectionable new policy, housekeeping needs to be ordered to not knock, call, or attempt to enter my room when the “Room Occupied” sign is up. If the sign remains up at the end of their day (4:00 PM or later), then the housekeeper or security, at that time and not before, should be allowed entry. I realize Members apparently don't have the right to keep you out, but we at least have the right to not be disturbed when sleeping, in-room dining, getting dressed, or taking a shower.

Please inform me who I need to communicate with at check-in or before to alert housekeeping of my wishes for their daily room entry time frame. If this isn’t possible or acceptable, I guess my future visits to WDW are numbered as it is becoming a police state. Between wrist monitors (Magic Bands?), bag checks, metal detectors, and now unscheduled daily room searches, the Magic is quickly evaporating!

What kind of letter are you going to write if someone ever actually knocks on your door? Maybe you should hold a little something back.

Can you still enter your room with a card?
When they first started with the magicbands we'd have to be persistent when checking in to get a card rather than use the magicband. Most of the front desk cast members weren't told it was an option. In the last couple years we just ask for a card and they are issued with no problem.

What kind of letter are you going to write if someone ever actually knocks on your door? Maybe you should hold a little something back.

I'll write a letter that is specific to the incident. Here are a couple of examples that I read about from another board. The room occupied sign was up, but housekeeping knocked at 9 AM. The person said they were in their underwear and the rest of the family was sleeping. Housekeeping still demanded entry. Another person did not have a sign up all day but put one out at 3 PM to take a nap and informed the concierge of it. The phone starts ringing demanding entry simply because the housekeeper's shift was coming to an end. This is ridiculous. As I suggested, if we must endure this nonsense, then a better policy has to be put into effect.

As an American, there is a LONG list of letters I will take the time to write before daily trash removal earns my time.

This is a non-issue for me. If I’m in the room, and fully clothed, I’m fine with housekeeping coming in to grab the trash. And if I’m not there - out valuables are always in the safe anyways so I do not care if someone comes in.
And if you aren't fully clothed? What if you are sick? It does happen. And you spend most of the day in your room, in bed? Are you going to hop right up and answer the door with a smile?

I can say, I won't. They won't get a smile, they won't get a welcome. And they won't get a tip.

What they will get is a trip to the front desk to demand a supervisor to explain to me why it is against Disney policy for their guests to sleep in their rooms during the day.

My understanding is that the Vegas bad person had visits to his room by hotel staff and it didn't stop the nut from doing what he did. Just because other hotels have a policy doesn't mean that Disney has to have the same policy. Sometimes we need to think and not do what the rest of the sheep are doing.

:earsboy: Bill

My understanding is that the Vegas bad person had visits to his room by hotel staff and it didn't stop the nut from doing what he did. Just because other hotels have a policy doesn't mean that Disney has to have the same policy. Sometimes we need to think and not do what the rest of the sheep are doing.

That's where this is actually the preferable option. Security theater can be less unpleasant than security itself. To truly prevent something like the "bad person" (I have much less Disboards appropriate words to describe people like that), security would have to strip search and/or metal detect everyone entering the buildings. If they check the rooms for garbage, they can at least say they tried something. If they choose to do nothing, they will face accusations of being negligent in the case something actually does occur.

That's where this is actually the preferable option. Security theater can be less unpleasant than security itself. To truly prevent something like the "bad person" (I have much less Disboards appropriate words to describe people like that), security would have to strip search and/or metal detect everyone entering the buildings. If they check the rooms for garbage, they can at least say they tried something. If they choose to do nothing, they will face accusations of being negligent in the case something actually does occur.
I’d rather go through a metal detector at the entrance to the resort than be disturbed in my room.

The only way to detect weapons in the room is to do a thorough search of the room, taking out the trash is a farce.

The only way to detect weapons in the room is to do a thorough search of the room, taking out the trash is a farce.
Maybe, but people can often be careless and leave them in plain sight. Either way, the daily room check is becoming a worldwide standard with most lodging companies. And there are other things people don't normally think about that can raise suspicions.

Regardless of why Disney is doing it and we will probably never know that in detail, it is what it is. We can accept it and make the best of it or stop going. I personally intend to make the best of it. We are out of the room enough to allow them to come and go. The only change is I might pick up my undies and put things away better. :)
Of course one could hide a gun, but any security expert will tell you that the first defense against any crime is to do things that make a criminal choose an easier location.
If nothing else maybe now members will quit being slobs and tearing things up.

Last edited:
Yeah right, the managers are going to take out the trash... as they say "When Pigs Fly"

Of course not to empty trash, but I can see reasons where a manager would need to enter the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter