Trash will now be taken every day

Hopefully in a few months this new policy will be rescinded and DVC will announce that daily trash removal has been discontinued due to member feed back. Bad enough that our dues now pays for security lines all over property, paying for daily trash is just another expense.

:earsboy: Bill

Hopefully in a few months this new policy will be rescinded and DVC will announce that daily trash removal has been discontinued due to member feed back. Bad enough that our dues now pays for security lines all over property, paying for daily trash is just another expense.

Hopefully, but doubtfully. When things are done in the name of 'security' (more security theater in my mind), they are rarely rescinded. Taking our shoes off at the airport due to one dopey failed bomb attempt, even though I have dogs sniff me every time I go through Chicago airports, is one example of security theater.
What Disney has to lose by keeping the service is a few irritated guests who are still locked into a decades-long contract. If they stop the service and then an event happens, then Disney has a whole lot more to lose.
I do hope/think it will be refined to be a bit less intrusive over time.

I don’t think that they can afford to back down now. If they did and something happened . . .

But, here’s a proposal (DVC feel free to steal this):

Housekeeping will try twice to empty trash, both before and after cleaning rooms. They will try from 8-10 am and from 3-5 pm. If the sign is up, they will not enter.

If the sign is down during either period, done.

If up for both periods, then escalated to a supervisor who’ll check the room between 6-8pm regardless if sign is up or not.

Massive education to both guest and staff about what this means:

The only way you get disturbed is if sign is up all three times. Only management is knocking on doors with signs and guests can easily self-arrange not to be disturbed by managing signs display. No attempts during mid day downtime.

(This also means housekeepers will have to stay until 5 so no more rushing through to leave early. Might improve cleanings.)

I could live with this because I could easily work around it. Or, if I find I’m in the room all three periods with sign up, at least I’m not cringing about when I’ll be disturbed about it. I’ll fairly well know when the knock is coming.

One way or another, DVC/Disney needs to bring some predictability to how the policy is implemented. You can’t have guests napping at mid day paranoid that their break is going to be disturbed.

Last edited:
We should focus on letting Disney know that this policy is a bad one. What do they hope to achieve, why are they really doing it? It isn't to keep someone from using their room as a snipers perch. That doesn't make any sense and bad people have plenty of ways to do harm at Disney should they decide to do so.

Spending our time making signs, coming up with room inspection schedules, are a waste of time. Email Disney to all of their addresses and let them know how you feel. If you don't share your feelings nothing will ever change. While you are at it, cc the news media.

As an American, there is a LONG list of letters I will take the time to write before daily trash removal earns my time.

This is a non-issue for me. If I’m in the room, and fully clothed, I’m fine with housekeeping coming in to grab the trash. And if I’m not there - out valuables are always in the safe anyways so I do not care if someone comes in.

It's not about just this trash issue, it's about inspecting my room when I did nothing wrong and doing so really won't make the public safer. Another freedom slowly being eaten away. What's next, pay a pre-check fee to Disney to bypass security checks?

It is doubtful DVC will rescind this policy due to customer feedback. If it is suddenly a policy at most other hotel chains, it is not just a DVC or Disney decision, the policy is required either as recommended by a government agency due to a credible threat (unlikely) or is a new insurance requirement because of the lawsuit filed in Las Vegas against Mandalay Bay.

Last edited:

It's not about just this trash issue, it's about inspecting my room when I did nothing wrong and doing so really won't make the public safer. Another freedom slowly being eaten away. What's next, pay a pre-check fee to Disney to bypass security checks?

Unfortunately we are just counting down time until we have to go through metal detectors just to enter the hotel buildings. There are many middle and high schoolers who have to do it just to go to school, and they are more innocent than even you and I. It is the dad reality of the world where people are always looking to place blame when one or two out of the hundreds of millions of us in America, plus billions elsewhere, do something wrong. It would always come back to "what should Disney have done differently? How irresponsible of them to not have taken every possible step."

As I have previously stated, I don't want housekeeping in my room at all; particularly under the guise of daily trash removal. Unfortunately, that no longer appears be an option. What housekeeping needs to be told is to not knock or call or attempt to enter anyone's room when the Room Occupied sign is up. If the sign remains up at the end of their day (4:00 PM or later), then the housekeeper or security, at that time and not before, should be allowed entry. We don't have the right to keep them out, but we at least need the right to not be disturbed or woken up during hours when rooms are mostly likely to be actually occupied.

"...but we at least need the right to not be disturbed or woken up during hours when rooms are mostly likely to be actually occupied."But aren't rooms at Disney most likely NOT to be occupied from 9am to 4pm daily, with 99% of guests heading to the parks?

"...but we at least need the right to not be disturbed or woken up during hours when rooms are mostly likely to be actually occupied."But aren't rooms at Disney most likely NOT to be occupied from 9am to 4pm daily, with 99% of guests heading to the parks?

I doubt it's 99%. Most DVC members are experienced Disney goers, and know the huge benefits of the early morning, mid-afternoon nap, then late evening touring plan. It is the biggest open secret about visiting the parks. Touring Plans tries to shout to people to do it.

I agree the most hotel guests are ignorant to it, but probably 20-40% of DVC people know about it and take advantage of it at least once a trip.

Unfortunately we are just counting down time until we have to go through metal detectors just to enter the hotel buildings. There are many middle and high schoolers who have to do it just to go to school, and they are more innocent than even you and I. It is the dad reality of the world where people are always looking to place blame when one or two out of the hundreds of millions of us in America, plus billions elsewhere, do something wrong. It would always come back to "what should Disney have done differently? How irresponsible of them to not have taken every possible step."

Disney doesn't have to become a "1984" police state. Between "Magic Bands", bags checks and metal detectors for the parks and and monorails, and now room checks, they are quickly sucking the enjoyment out of visiting a place that is supposed to be a fun vacation spot.

For one, we stay in the parks or visit Disney Springs late, and don't even get up until 10 AM. Then we always eat in the room, and never leave before 1-2 in the afternoon. There are always plenty of people around in the resorts at these times.

Disney doesn't have to become a "1984" police state. Between "Magic Bands", bags checks and metal detectors for the parks and and monorails, and now room checks, they are quickly sucking the enjoyment out of visiting a place that is supposed to be a fun vacation spot.

Do a quick google search for 'Mandalay Bay' and see why they are so paranoid about security. Yes, they want to avoid ruining your trip, but even more so they want to avoid someone else ruining their name.

And if a DVC resort were to be involved in a similar incident (heaven forbid) who do you think would be paying for the lawsuits? Hint: Not Disney.

We usually get up at 9 am. When we are there we are on vacation and do not always go into the parks. Or we are sleeping in after a late night from a party etc. No body's business why we are sleeping in but we usually do.

An email I just sent off to Mr. Potrock et al:

As a DVC member from year 1 and currently owning over 800 points, I don't appreciate the newly implemented daily security checks of the Member’s rooms, particularly under the guise of daily trash removal or the extra monies it will require to implement out of my dues. When my family and I check in, unless absolutely necessary, we never use “Mousekeeping” as we prefer to do our own housekeeping, and I would prefer to keep it that way. Unfortunately, that no longer seems be an option, even though DVC Members would be the least likely of any guests to cause a problem. I resent the fact that housekeepers are more trusted than the Members as far as safety/security is concerned. Who knows what a team of housekeepers could be up to with such unfettered room access?

My degree of ownership allows me the luxury of using DVC as a 2nd home, not just a bed to sleep in after hopping around the parks all day long. This is the foremost reason for purchasing DVC, the ability to book villas, rather than a hotel room, with separate living/dining/bedroom areas and laundry facilities within each unit. I, and others, frequently sleep late, take naps, and don’t leave the room until late in the day. To be able to live with this objectionable new policy, housekeeping needs to be ordered to not knock, call, or attempt to enter my room when the “Room Occupied” sign is up. If the sign remains up at the end of their day (4:00 PM or later), then the housekeeper or security, at that time and not before, should be allowed entry. I realize Members apparently don't have the right to keep you out, but we at least have the right to not be disturbed when sleeping, in-room dining, getting dressed, or taking a shower.

Please inform me who I need to communicate with at check-in or before to alert housekeeping of my wishes for their daily room entry time frame. If this isn’t possible or acceptable, I guess my future visits to WDW are numbered as it is becoming a police state. Between wrist monitors (Magic Bands?), bag checks, metal detectors, and now unscheduled daily room searches, the Magic is quickly evaporating!

Much ado about nothing and it will soon be the new normal everywhere. Remember this is already worldwide policy at Hilton owned venues...Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites, Conrad, Waldorf Astoria, Homewood, Double Tree, Hilton Grand Vacations timeshares among others...and no one seems to be complaining about it there.

I guess my future visits to WDW are numbered as it is becoming a police state

This sort of hyperbole weakens the overall message. Is it an inconvenience to do all of these things? Yes. Are they randomly arresting you, and throwing you in prison without letting your family members even know whether or not you are alive? Not quite...
Referring to moves like this as being a 'police state' seems almost disrespectful to people in history to have had to deal with actual police states.

As for the magic bands, they are optional. You can just request a card ticket and put it in a RFID proof wallet if it bothers you so much.

From the InterContintental Hotel Group site (a high end hotel chain): Safety checks and room inspections are non-negotiable. Ensuring the health and safety of guests and staff can never be ignored.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter