Trash will now be taken every day

Wakey

DIS Veteran
Fy0mivoDpMRGtFT9eqAputGRFAenlNuOYNLGeeQfyzo3o_9fNxEBBVi7IEnHjfqSwrWv5CyWAkl291LCKXaW8KKl_U_lHp5OiZHt3JU1S1VJj6JVrF_6rxB5mfdeNQ=s0-d-e1-ft

• Your in-room experience has never been more important to us. That's why we will begin removing trash from your rooms at Disney Vacation Club resorts on a daily basis in addition to regular housekeeping visits. The daily service begins December 22, 2017, at five resort properties (Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian, Disney's Grand Californian and Aulani). The service extends to all other Disney Vacation Club resorts on January 7, 2018

I think this is DVC's way of having the interiors of the rooms checked daily for security purposes. I read somewhere else that all rooms will now be checked daily. No more do not disturb signs.

Ya it sounds like every room will be looked at every day, I assume if you have a do not disturb sign up they wont do anything other than check the room.

It isn't about our in-room experience.

It is about snooping in the villa. Problem is, people that own DVC tend to in the room more than the average guest. So they are going to have a hard time keep track of where they have been.

Ya it sounds like every room will be looked at every day, I assume if you have a do not disturb sign up they wont do anything other than check the room.
I read they will remove all "Do Not Disturb" signs and replace them with "Room Occupied" signs, which will alert the employee entering your room to knock and announce their entry well before coming in.

So now housekeepers are security???

Interesting. Since they aren’t security-minded. (If you guys are on dvcnews FB this night sound familiar lol) Housekeepers at Wdw have a horrid tendency to be in one room with the door closed while blocking an open room with their cart. Which is on wheels.

Anyone can sneak in quietly with little chance of being caught while the housekeeper is vacuuming in the other, closed, room.

And now making sure the latch is on while you’re sleeping (or otherwise in the room wanting to be private) is even more important so they don’t barge in on you.

If it is indeed for security reasons, then you won't be able to opt out.

Either it is, as speculated, a reaction to the Las Vegas shooting where the guy put a Do Not Disturb sign on his suite door and then filled the place up with firearms over three days, so they want to have someone enter the room daily to make sure nobody's up to anything criminal in there, or it's to make sure that nobody has had a medical emergency and is incapacitated inside the room. Or both.

If it's the first, I'm wondering if they will train the housekeepers to spot what is "off," because housekeepers are not security personnel, and if so who will be doing that training, or if they are planning to have personnel other than the housekeepers check the rooms once a day.

DVC won't be getting daily housekeeping, just daily trash removal, likely just so there is a reason for someone employed by Disney to enter the room every day.

I'm fine with it either way. We don't accumulate much garbage so it's not necessary but if it truly is for security purposes then I'm alright with the change. I wonder if it is more to keep the liability insurance in check as a response to Vegas.

I love it!!! But are we gonna pay more in dues for it? Because if we don't, then it will be a big added cost onto Disney, wouldn't it? And I am just wondering if Disney was alerted to a potential threat? I am really wondering if they know something more to backtrack from offering gift cards for no housekeeping? Do they even have enough housekeepers for this?

I love it!!! But are we gonna pay more in dues for it? Because if we don't, then it will be a big added cost onto Disney, wouldn't it? And I am just wondering if Disney was alerted to a potential threat? I am really wondering if they know something more to backtrack from offering gift cards for no housekeeping? Do they even have enough housekeepers for this?

If it increases housekeeping costs, it will come out of dues.

It isn't about our in-room experience.

It is about snooping in the villa.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

I'm in full agreement with you. I despise people wandering through my hotel room. Might be time to start travelling with a nestcam or similar.

It has always been commonplace for hotel workers--both Disney and elsewhere--to enter rooms as needed to complete housekeeping tasks, maintenance, etc.

I love it!!! But are we gonna pay more in dues for it? Because if we don't, then it will be a big added cost onto Disney, wouldn't it?

Yes it will be factored into dues but I'm not sure that it will cost all that much. Emptying trash is a 2-3 minute task per room. They're already visiting villas a minimum of every 4 days for Trash & Towel service. Having every housekeeper attend to a half-dozen room as they make their rounds doesn't seem like it would add a lot to their routine.

I just called Member Services & my gal spoke with a Supervisor.
They insist it has absolutely nothing to do with security!
I mentioned twice about the DO NOT disturb signs being taken away!
She insisted that you may OPT OUT of the trash removal by keeping your DO NOT Disturb Sign out!
She claimed that a separate email about new security for boarding the Monorail just came out!
Again,
MS claims the new trash removal daily has absolutely nothing to do with security!!!

They insist it has absolutely nothing to do with security!..."

This makes sense. In another lifetime, I was a Corporate Security Director, and we would never lay this kind of responsibility on anyone who was not a security professional.

They insist it has absolutely nothing to do with security!
I mentioned twice about the DO NOT disturb signs being taken away!
She insisted that you may OPT OUT of the trash removal by keeping your DO NOT Disturb Sign out!
She claimed that a separate email about new security for boarding the Monorail just came out!
Again,
MS claims the new trash removal daily has absolutely nothing to do with security!!!

Things we know to be true:
1) "Do not Disturb" signs are being replaced with signs that read "Room Occupied."
2) Until now, most Disney hotel rooms were entered by CMs on a daily basis (housekeeping, maintenance)
3) Until now, most DVC villas went 4 days between CM visits--perhaps 7+ if trash & towel service was declined or handled by the guest
4) The Las Vegas shooter spent 6 days stockpiling weapons in his room, uninterrupted thanks to the "Do not Disturb" sign.

I wouldn't necessarily expect Disney to announce this as a new security procedure but I don't think one has to be a conspiracy theorist to make a connection.

I have no idea how aggressive Disney will be about performing the room checks...ahem, I mean trash removal. Obviously there are times when guests will be irate if they are disturbed, and Disney will have to be prepared to address that. And nobody expects a gun-toting housekeeper to take matters into his/her own hands. IMO, this is about a creating visible staff presence--going from a published procedure in which rooms go days without any CM entering the room at all to a published procedure where all rooms are theoretically visited every day.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter