Transporting Treats

I tried to bring home a chocolate dipped pineapple slice and it was a fail. I bought it, put in a baggie and stored it in the hotel fridge then we drove home the next day with it in the cooler and it was yucky. I guess those are meant to be eaten ASAP! I always bring baggies but now I’m going to bring a Tupperware too! I want to try to find the churro toffee (or was it fudge) everyone raves about!

Just some personal experience here. I think that you need to check with TSA about the apple. They have been very focused lately (or maybe always) on food/ drink. I went through 20 minutes of ....inspection... because of a pound of ground coffee...totally sealed, never opened, Disney coffee. Just want to save you that kind of scrutiny. It was uncomfortable at best.
Food items appear like an organic compound similar to explosives in their screening xrays. I think the key is to ensure there are no cords or batteries packed near or in the same bag as the food items to raise the alarm. If charging cords or headphones are packed near your food, it has a higher chance of being pulled for additional screening. YMMV

I brought home 2 of the Minnie apples last year, the last week of September. We had to drive home to Northern California (6-hours). They were in the plastic boxes that they put them in at the candy shop and I just left them in the shopping bag. They traveled well in our trunk. I put them in the refrigerator when we got home and we ate them a day and a half later. They were still perfect! I plan on doing the same thing again soon. :love:

I brought an apple home for my daughter several years ago. It was kind of a pain, but I had it in my carryon. It survived just fine.

Last trip we saw a dad open up 6 sandwich size Tupperware containers and put one of those huge Jack Jack chocolate chip cookies from Cal Adventure in each one. What a prepared guy! It fit perfectly, he stacked them up and put them in his backpack and was on his way.

Went through TSA last week at SNA with WOC desserts, fudge and some other treats. They didn’t blink an eye. The snow globe I totally spaced putting in my checked bag required serious begging.

Just some personal experience here. I think that you need to check with TSA about the apple. They have been very focused lately (or maybe always) on food/ drink. I went through 20 minutes of ....inspection... because of a pound of ground coffee...totally sealed, never opened, Disney coffee. Just want to save you that kind of scrutiny. It was uncomfortable at best.
Coffee grounds are also used to hide the smell of drugs from drug-sniffing dogs. That may have been the reason youbwere scrutinized so much.

While I didn't travel on a plane, I did ask a CM to wrap up a caramel apple for me as it was going to be a gift for someone at work. They had a clear plastic container in the shape for an apple, so they are prepared for it.

Last summer, I bought a Minnie apple the day I went to the parks, which was a Monday. I left CA on Wednesday, flew back to NYC with it and started eating it on Friday. It was fine! I bought the apple itself at the end of the day at the park, kept it refrigerated while still in CA, packed it in my carry-on bag that I keep under my seat, then popped it back in the fridge once I got home. It was still in great shape! I ate half and then ate the other half the next day.

Food items appear like an organic compound similar to explosives in their screening xrays. I think the key is to ensure there are no cords or batteries packed near or in the same bag as the food items to raise the alarm. If charging cords or headphones are packed near your food, it has a higher chance of being pulled for additional screening. YMMV
This exact thing happened to my husband when flying to Hawaii this summer! He packed a giant bag of gummy bears and they were next to his charging cords and he got pulled aside for extra screening. It was no big deal as we always arrive super ealry to the airport just in case. He said the TSA agents were really cool about it and laughed when they discovered the giant bag of gummy bears. LOL. But yeah, lesson learned! On the way home he made sure to separate his charging cords. ;)

I don’t like hearing this craziness about Disneyland churros being available elsewhere. In my mind they’re made with pure pixie dust magic flown in by Tinkerbell herself. 🧚‍♂️

It's pretty magical to pop these into your toaster oven at home and have the SAME experience for 1/5 the cost.

I also think this is the reason why WDW churros are not as good. AFAIK, Tio Pepe's is a west coast, sort of local, brand. I don't think they distribute to the east coast, so WDW likely has a different vendor for their churros, and everyone knows Tio Pepe's are the best.

My family wants some of the popcorn from Galaxys Edge. I guess I'll bring a ziploc and see how it goes.

Don't ziploc! It will get soft. Buy a popcorn tub in the park (the classic round one with a lid) and transport that way. We bring caramel corn home every trip that way. You could bring a tupperware but I like the ease of having the popcorn tub with a handle, now I just take my tub back every time to refill it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter