Transporting Treats

Erin M

Mouseketeer
My coworkers (some of whom travel with me to DL in the spring every year) have given me a list of things to bring back next week. Most of these are totally manageable, like pins and mystery packs and such, but there is also a request for candy apple. Now I think I can make this happen if I buy it on Sunday before we head home that afternoon. I'll take it carry on and be careful with it. My worst enemy would be heat I think.

But this got me thinking, has anyone attempted to take home treats that aren't all that easy to transport? Or that risk going bad if you're not careful. I mean I would love to take a churro or five home, but will they be stale and not worth it by the next day? Would tupperware solve this?

What have you successfully brought home?

If I can add a suggestion. I just shipped homemade merengue cookies from California to Florida. I put in a cup of uncooked rice wrapped in cheese cloth , just placed in the ziploc container with the cookies to absorb any moisture. It really helps with the longevity. Ive heard that a slice of bread also works. Hope that helps!

I have purchased apples as teacher gifts in the past. They have special apple shaped plastic clamshell containers, so they are actually very easy to transport. That said, they ARE supposed to be refrigerated. They told me they will be safe outside of refrigeration for "a few hours" but not like, all day. If you carry it on, it should stay cool enough. You could also bring an insulated lunch bag and throw it in there to keep it from heat extremes.

DO NOT take a churro with you. Those will get hard and nasty within a couple hours. You can revive them somewhat by warming them in an oven, but it just won't be the same.

Where do you live? Are you in CA by chance? If so, you can buy the DL churros at Smart and Final and many supermarkets. They are Tio Pepe's brand. I buy them all the time and they literally taste just like the ones at the parks. I have seen the cardboard boxes of them when they stock the churro carts. When I buy them at S&F, they end up costing like $0.75 each...

The easiest things to transport are the prewrapped cookies and rice krispy treats, the bagged candy (like the homemade peanut brittle and toffee from the candy shops), and things like cookies that are hard, like the Mickey sugar cookie, the Mickey chocolate chip cookie with the dipped ears, the big chunky Selma's cookies at the candy shops, the fudge, the chocolate stuff like the S'mores bars and PB sandwiches, the dipped marshmallow wands, and the cake pops. I would recommend disposable plastic containers for taking home stuff.

DO NOT take a churro with you. Those will get hard and nasty within a couple hours. You can revive them somewhat by warming them in an oven, but it just won't be the same.

I had thought this might be the case so I will skip that!

I would buy your friend the candy apple, eat it for her right there in the park with the castle in the background, and take lots of photos -- maybe even a video -- to share with her when you return home.

I'm sure your friend will enjoy experiencing the fresh candy apple vicariously through you. This just seems like the most sensible approach to me.

I've brought home the pre-wrapped things many times and I will definitely do that again. That toffee!! I just love the crazy lengths some people will go to get things home. One of my friends who is known to eat any and all leftovers, even when the date is questionable, brought her WoC dessert leftovers home once. She had to set the very large container, with clear plastic top, in its own plastic bein. The TSA agent did a double-take when we walked through security.

I would buy your friend the candy apple, eat it for her right there in the park with the castle in the background, and take lots of photos -- maybe even a video -- to share with her when you return home.

I'm sure your friend will enjoy experiencing the fresh candy apple vicariously through you. This just seems like the most sensible approach to me.

Hahahaha! Yes, I will just tell her that it was best for me and the apple .

Yeah, churros don't travel well. I tried bring one home once (Bought it in the park before leaving for the airport. By the time I got home, it was cold, hard, and stale.) I kinda figured that would happen, but I HAD to try! I have had good luck with confectionary items, though. Just pack it well enough that it doesn't get squished, and of course, don't leave it anywhere that it may melt. I like the idea of bringing home a candied apple! Please let us know how that works out... I just may try it next time. : )

Candy Apples don't stay nice for long Carmel ones do but Candy Apple ones the coating starts to dissolve.

Oh wow, I can get a box at places that sell the confections?!?!

Marcelines, even? Holy cow, that's exciting.

I take home Matterhorn Macaroons! I just take a little tuppeware box and put them in that and throw that in my backpack. They are good the next day but kinda greasy the day after that.

Just a little tip if you're bringing chocolates home. It was extremely hot on my last trip, so I made sure to purchase any chocolate items the night before while the weather was cool, and pack it in the middle of my suitcase. I was travelling in the middle of the day, had my luggage in the sun intermittently and the weather was hot when I arrived home, but the chocolates didn't melt at all. The people I gave them to were surprised they held up so well.

Where do you live? Are you in CA by chance? If so, you can buy the DL churros at Smart and Final and many supermarkets. They are Tio Pepe's brand. I buy them all the time and they literally taste just like the ones at the parks. I have seen the cardboard boxes of them when they stock the churro carts. When I buy them at S&F, they end up costing like $0.75 each...

Annnnddd I'm off to Smart & Final...🚶‍♀️ 8-) I also purchase Dodger Dogs there. We are in Northern CA, so get them for my LA loving husband.

I'm also noting all the treat suggestions. Our kids are staying home this trip, so I should probably bring them home a treat!

I don’t like hearing this craziness about Disneyland churros being available elsewhere. In my mind they’re made with pure pixie dust magic flown in by Tinkerbell herself. 🧚‍♂️

I take treats home all the time. I bring the nice ziplocks and and then just put them in my tote bag. Tupperware is a great idea though! We’ve taken home cupcakes, fudge, cookies, etc. and they were fine. We took our candy canes home last Christmas and I just wrapped them up in the bubble wrap and a scarf to put in my bag. And sprayed them and I’m making them into a wreath... much to my son’s indignation. 😂

My coworkers (some of whom travel with me to DL in the spring every year) have given me a list of things to bring back next week. Most of these are totally manageable, like pins and mystery packs and such, but there is also a request for candy apple. Now I think I can make this happen if I buy it on Sunday before we head home that afternoon. I'll take it carry on and be careful with it. My worst enemy would be heat I think.

But this got me thinking, has anyone attempted to take home treats that aren't all that easy to transport? Or that risk going bad if you're not careful. I mean I would love to take a churro or five home, but will they be stale and not worth it by the next day? Would tupperware solve this?

What have you successfully brought home?
Just some personal experience here. I think that you need to check with TSA about the apple. They have been very focused lately (or maybe always) on food/ drink. I went through 20 minutes of ....inspection... because of a pound of ground coffee...totally sealed, never opened, Disney coffee. Just want to save you that kind of scrutiny. It was uncomfortable at best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter