Transportation with special needs child

999miles

Earning My Ears
hi!

We have years of camping experience, years of Disney experience and will be combining them for the first time this summer at the Fort.

Our youngest daughter has cerebral palsy among other health concerns and does not walk. Are we allowed to drive our car from
our campsite into a park everyday or would we have to take a bus? She has a handicapped parking tag if it makes a difference.

She does not have a wheelchair that can be tied down on the busses yet so we would have to fold down her current stroller and carry her for every bus transfer. It’s physically demanding and having our car makes everything much easier.

Thanks!

hi!

We have years of camping experience, years of Disney experience and will be combining them for the first time this summer at the Fort.

Our youngest daughter has cerebral palsy among other health concerns and does not walk. Are we allowed to drive our car from
our campsite into a park everyday or would we have to take a bus? She has a handicapped parking tag if it makes a difference.

She does not have a wheelchair that can be tied down on the busses yet so we would have to fold down her current stroller and carry her for every bus transfer. It’s physically demanding and having our car makes everything much easier.

Thanks!
:welcome: to the camping forum!
Yes you are free to drive in and out of the fort to visit the parks.
Driving around the fort is another issue. There is no car parking near the boat dock/settlement area of the campground. There is a limited parking area at the meadows trading post that is just for a quick stop at the trading post. So if you will plan to use the pool, go to the campfire, or go to any of the restaurants you couldn't drive and park there. You could request a site near the pool for easy access.
Enjoy your trip!

Be sure to place your parking permit in your vehicle and you will be exempt from paying the aditional parking fees at each park for the duration of your stay. When you check in they will provide one for each vehicle if you need more than one. For the most part, the handicap parking is very convenient.
Have a great time!

hi!

Thanks!
the handicapped parking for MK has a slight uphill walk from parking lot to either ferry or monorail. there is no tram and you walk in walkway beside cars coming in to park. with other kids this would be the one park that I would use internal bus and boat to. there is not car parking at boat dock. most likely would only have to break down for bus as wheelchairs/ stroller do not have to be tied down for boat ride and boat leaves you at the gate not TTC as parking lot does

Are we allowed to drive our car from
our campsite into a park everyday or would we have to take a bus?

1) You have space to park ONE (1) car at your campsite or cabin.
2) So, yes, you can drive that car to the parks.
3) You can use the handicap placard, but at most parks, the benefit is limited - at MK, I think parking is worse for handicap than using the tram.
4) As for The Fort, do not plan to use your car to get around, as there are few if any parking spots for vehicles other than at your campsite . . . use internal buses.

Let's keep this thread on the topic for the OP.

From what you are describing, I would request a site close to the Settlement that would be walkable to that area. I would also be very explicit as to WHY you need it, as I imagine CM's would go well out of their way to make it work. If you do this, you will have access to the Settlement Trading post and dining options within walking distance of your site. You would also have access to the boat to MK, which you can simply roll on and off with no transfers or strapping needed. This boat drops you at the dock right near the front entry of MK. Then, if going to other parks, you drive (that's what we do anyway).

This would mean your only issue would be the Meadows area. In that case, if the internal buses are too difficult, you could have one parent drop the others off there and then return the car to the lot and walk/use the internal system to meet up with the family.

From what you are describing, I would request a site close to the Settlement that would be walkable to that area. I would also be very explicit as to WHY you need it, as I imagine CM's would go well out of their way to make it work. If you do this, you will have access to the Settlement Trading post and dining options within walking distance of your site. You would also have access to the boat to MK, which you can simply roll on and off with no transfers or strapping needed. This boat drops you at the dock right near the front entry of MK. Then, if going to other parks, you drive (that's what we do anyway).

This would mean your only issue would be the Meadows area. In that case, if the internal buses are too difficult, you could have one parent drop the others off there and then return the car to the lot and walk/use the internal system to meet up with the family.
they would have to park in parking lot and walk to bus stop. cars are not allowed to stop in bus area even at the Meadow area

they would have to park in parking lot and walk to bus stop. cars are not allowed to stop in bus area even at the Meadow area

The idea would not to be dropping anyone at the bus. The idea would be to drop the family at the trading post and allow them to go where they need from there. The driver could then drop the car back at the site and then return by use of the internal buses.

The idea would not to be dropping anyone at the bus. The idea would be to drop the family at the trading post and allow them to go where they need from there. The driver could then drop the car back at the site and then return by use of the internal buses.

they would still have to change buses as that would be the internal bus to either the front bus station or the boat dock as trading post is in the middle of campground not either end

they would still have to change buses as that would be the internal bus to either the front bus station or the boat dock as trading post is in the middle of campground not either end
The poster was giving a suggestion of how to get to the swimming pool or campfire area. There is a small, limited time use car parking lot at the meadows trading post. One parent could drive everyone over and drop them off there and they could go to the pool or campfire.

The poster was giving a suggestion of how to get to the swimming pool or campfire area. There is a small, limited time use car parking lot at the meadows trading post. One parent could drive everyone over and drop them off there and they could go to the pool or campfire.
there is still a walk I would not call it close if handicapped walking from that same lot to the pool having walked it. looks close on map but not when there and yes I use a cane or ECV

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!