Transportation Suggestions

slpeters

DIS Veteran
So we are doing a week at Universal in December. We are doing a day at SeaWorld early in the week and MVMCP on the day before we fly out. We are staying at the Royal Pacific. What's the most efficient/cheapest way to get to the other parks? I had just kind of assumed Uber, but I'm starting to wonder if it would make sense at least for the Disney part to just rent a car for out last day or two and take it to and from Disney and then drop it off at the airport. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Though you have to reserve in advance, Royal Pacific has a free bus to and from Sea World. Otherwise, I'd say Uber for that. But for the Disney, yes, I'd rent a car, pay for the one night parking at Royal Pacific, then return it to the airport. If you use Uber to Disney, I would think the price would not be that bad, it's the end of the night where you would get surge pricing, and traffic will be not so fun. I'd rather come and go in my own rental, then rely on uber, to get to and from the Magic Kingdom.

I rent a car from and back to the airport the whole time. While we don't also do a day or night at Disney, we do like to eat at other then Universal parks, and visit Disney Springs one day. Plus, we want to do the Eye, and other lesser than parks around Universal.

What ever you do, I hope you enjoy your stay at the Royal Pacific. We really like that hotel, and the convenience it is to City Walk and the Universal Parks.

Oh, and by the way, SW is closer to Universal than Disney. Give yourself at least 45 minutes to get to the parking lot for the Magic Kingdom. SW is about 20 minutes or so, depending on traffic. You could take the free bus to SW, and Uber back, if you didn't like the return times.

I would use Uber/Lyft to Disney. By the time you rent a car (and take the time to pick it up), pay for parking at Royal Pacific, pay for parking at Disney and return it to the rental car place, you've already paid for your Uber - plus some! Also, when using Uber/Lyft, you can asked to be dropped off at the Disney Contemporary and just walk to the Magic Kingdom as opposed to going through the TTC and having to take the monorail or ferry over.

We used uber to/from the Magic Kingdom for the Halloween party - on Halloween night! - and had NO issues getting a car. It was about $1 more for the return trip (I think around 12:30ish). Our driver to Disney explained that the drivers are alerted/plan ahead for party nights so availability just isn't an issue. For Halloween parties, they love it because they just shuttle people back and forth between Universal and Disney and they usually can get a return rider almost as they are dropping their current fare off.

I usually do a private car to and from the airport (just because I like the predictability and level of service at the ends of my trips), but wouldn't hesitate to use Uber/Lyft again for a party.

The 2 big issues I found with rental cars and Universal is that there are no agencies close by, and expensive parking at their resorts. Plus you'll pay for day parking at WDW too.

If you aren't going anywhere else but to/from MVMCP and MCO, I think Uber would definitely be cheaper and save time picking up and dropping the car.

PHXscuba

The 2 big issues I found with rental cars and Universal is that there are no agencies close by, and expensive parking at their resorts. Plus you'll pay for day parking at WDW too.

If you aren't going anywhere else but to/from MVMCP and MCO, I think Uber would definitely be cheaper and save time picking up and dropping the car.

PHXscuba

There is a rental desk at every Universal resort, plus a few close by in other hotels. I agree though that between the price of parking at the resort and the Disney park, Lyft would be the way to go (I don't use Uber).

There is a rental desk at every Universal resort, plus a few close by in other hotels.

Agreed.

We found it to be an easy (though warm) walk over to the 4Points for Alamo/National/enterprise. I’ll admit we took a $7 cab back after returning the car though. :)

There is a rental desk at every Universal resort, plus a few close by in other hotels. I agree though that between the price of parking at the resort and the Disney park, Lyft would be the way to go (I don't use Uber).

Good to know. The way I could see the options it didn't look very convenient to rent or return in that area. But it makes sense they'd have a way. Next time I will call the resort and ask what they have available for options. But I still think using Uber/Lyft would be cheaper than all of the places you pay to park!

PHXscuba

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter