Transport wheelchair question

Splashboat

Always looking for cheap airfare
I was in PT today and they therapist advised me to get a wheelchair for our upcoming trip. I read a lot about not using a transport chair but I am wondering if it is good under my circumstances. I do plan on walking a good amount. We will be in disney for almost 2 weeks and the therapist said I am going to be miserable after too much walking so she thinks I should have it.

I don't want to use anything electric because I don't want to have to keep gong back to get it. I also am very nervous about using the scooter. I have seen too many come too close to all the people who cut right in front and I think I would be very anxious.

I found a transport wheelchair for $145 with 12 inch back wheels and 8 inch front wheels, aluminum frame. I like that it folds up and is portable.
I certainly can walk up hills and in any situation where it would be tough on someone to push me. I have never used a wheelchair so please let me know if you think this still doesn't make sense.

would really get a normal wheelchair where you could self-push some and walk some and if need me have someone else push you some with a transport chair there is no self-pushing at all. I think most if not all wheelchair fold up.

Coincidently,we just bought a wheelchair yesterday (to go with my fractured pelvis). It's nothing fancy, but has the big wheels so I can self-propelled, which I love. I just wish I'd gotten a hook or a cup holder. It cost me about $200-$300.

My wife has MS and we use a transport wheelchair. You are correct that you can't self push but it works very well for us. It is lightweight easy for me to push. When we get on a bus it very easily folds for me too hold in front of us while seated.

It really depends on whether you’re comfortable being dependent on others to push when you are in the chair. My personal opinion is that transport chairs are only a good option if the user can’t or doesn’t want to self push. You may be ok with that, or it may drive you crazy.

It's true that it's very difficult to self-propel in a transport chair, but my 93-year-old mother "scoots" herself around in hers by flipping up the footrests and "walking" it around while sitting in it. She can handle moving in lines perfectly on her own and can really get around a store. She also uses it as a walker when she feels like it.

I like the idea that it doesn't seem too cumbersome and we were used to taking a double stroller back in the day so I feel like it is similar for lugging around. If I planned to spend a good amount of the day in it, I would definitely think I need something sturdier. My hope is that this will just relieve me by getting off my feet more than I would without.

Coincidently,we just bought a wheelchair yesterday (to go with my fractured pelvis). It's nothing fancy, but has the big wheels so I can self-propelled, which I love. I just wish I'd gotten a hook or a cup holder. It cost me about $200-$300.

Ouch, sorry to hear about your injury. Sounds painful. Hope you feel better.

It's true that it's very difficult to self-propel in a transport chair, but my 93-year-old mother "scoots" herself around in hers by flipping up the footrests and "walking" it around while sitting in it. She can handle moving in lines perfectly on her own and can really get around a store. She also uses it as a walker when she feels like it.

Love this. My son does the same thing. If he is tired of waiting for me to finish talking to somebody, he will just scoot along giving me a hint to stop talking so much!

We have had a transport chair for many years for my son and as long as you have the 12 inch back wheels, I think you will be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!