• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transitioning to a group tour

mwebsite

Mouseketeer
We've always done our family vacations with just our immediate family, but we knew for Italy a group tour would be the best option to see the country. We picked ABD because of the family focus and fun activities. Although I feel we are all very personable, we were never anxious to search out other families to hang out with while on our vacations. I wonder if it is an adjustment taking a group tour. Can anyone offer any insight into this transition?

Well, the biggest transition is that you have to give up a certain amount of control. Since it is a group tour with a mostly set itinerary, you go where they want you to go, when they want you to go. There *is* usually a certain amount of free time to go back to that cool shop, or hunt out that museum you wanted to go to, or sign up for an off-road tour, but, for the most part, your schedule is set by them. Personally, I'm cool with that in exchange for them taking care of everything for me. In Italy, I've heard people on their own wait for HOURS to get into some of the places (especially in Rome), whereas Disney (and some other tours) have a "fast pass" to get into a much shorter, tour-only line.

They check you in to your hotels, handle all your luggage (it "appears" in your room and is "magically" picked up for the next destination), they arrange for local tour guides/naturalists to take you around & give you tours. They arrange the majority of your meals for you. Disney, in particular, arranges some unique activities you just couldn't arrange on your own.

But if you don't like the hotel, you don't have the option of saying "No thanks, I'll go find another hotel" (unless you have enough money to pay for 2 hotels!)

They provide all your transportation, and water & snacks while in transit & doing activities. If something goes wrong, they will work long and hard to fix it if at all possible.

I travel solo, so I can't speak to the "traveling with other families" portion, but I've read a LOT of reports where people exclaimed over how much all the kids bonded together & had a really fun time as a group. But you're not forced to do that; you can stay as a family unit, also.

Hope this helps a little bit. Personally, I don't think I'll ever go to Europe unless it's with an organized tour like ABD. It just seems like the easiest, safest way to go.

Sayhello

We were the same. Also, I'm the anal planner in the family so the idea of someone else having control of my vacation was a bit of an adjustment as well.

We found that AbD was perfect for us -- obviously, since trip #4 is coming up. :) The main reasons:

1) There are no big decisions to make, which translates into little to no arguing about what to do next.

2) There always *is* something to do next -- left to our own devices, the boys would sleep half the day away.

3) Having other people on the trip makes the boys (well, okay... one of the three) less inclined to be late -- easy to do when only his family is getting ticked off.

4) I love my family, but it really is nice to have other people to talk with. I find people fascinating -- their jobs, families, backgrounds, and even their religious and political beliefs when it's not a month before the election. ;)

5) Our family is less likely to bicker about silly little things because other travelers keep us on our best behavior. If I don't want my new friends to see what I'm like pre-caffeine in the morning, but family doesn't have to see it either.

I think the tours have enough free time if you feel the need to get away on your own. Honestly, I didn't even think of it as being a transition the first time we did group travel with AbD. Other than extending a few courtesies that you would probably do with your own family anyway (being prompt, not hogging the best seat on the bus, etc.), it just felt like we were traveling with a much larger immediate family after the first couple of days.

Dotti

My husband is not a people person, while I am the classic extrovert. ABD worked for both of us. You can do as little or as much connecting as you would like on these trips. Just because you are on the same bus or doing the same activity doesn't mean you have to become best friends with the people around you.

There will probably be a family or two your family really connects with, but if there isn't, no one will force you to become buddies.

I think giving up controlling the scheduling of events won't be so difficult for me. I'm always the planner of the vacations and family activities, which always has a bit of the stress of whether everyone will enjoy what I spent so much time to plan. Also, not having to answer the questions as to what exactly are we doing, how long does it take, what happens there, will be nice since I am not the organizer. Lots of advantages were noted in the responses here. I think maybe it's more sharing my family vacation with others, though the group activities sound like fun, and my soon to be 13 yo will probably enjoy spending some time with kids her own age instead of just mom and dad.

:) I have gone on alot of group tours in the past . I have also traveled solo and made all my travel arrangements ie hotel stays , transporting my own luggage, activities. Believe me it was a big undertaking and there were days
that i did not plan enough for me to do . I also i had to plan how to get to the various attractions . This was in Germany back in the 90;s and i followed the Fairytale road by train. So i was aware of what group tours had in advantages and stuff.

I chose ABD because of the Name and the tours have alot of activities. As others stated everything is taken care of . The tours offer an unique way of touring a country.

mwebsite,
We had your same reservations about doing a group tour. We had never done one before and were worried about the group dynamics and having enough time to do the things we wanted to do. My husband was VERY skeptical--he is very shy and takes awhile to get comfortable in any group. We have 4 kids, so it's not like we need other people's kids to help entertain them--we are a group unto ourselves!
We did Southwest Splendors in August. We had a blast. Beyond our expectations, and they were high after reading the dis boards. The group so enhanced our experience. We weren't even on board our return flight when my husband told me to book again for next year(we are doing Quest for the West with another family from our adventure). In fact, we are going to Missouri over Thanksgiving to Big Cedar with a family we met on the tour. And we keep up through email with several others.
I know the concept of a group is concerning--it definitely was for us. But be adventurous and embrace it. I'll be willing to bet you won't regret it!

Thanks for everyone's comments. Glad to hear so many advantages to the group tour, and it sounds like it works for all different kinds of personalities. I really think I'll enjoy not worrying about getting from one point to the next and having so many of the activities already planned. I think I can appreciate the "less bickering" idea, too. I guess being "adventurous" is why they call it "adventures by disney".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter