Transfers and Palo/Remy going up...

Anyone remember High Tea at Palo?....that started out at either $5 or $10. We went a few times but didn't think it was worth taking the time away from other activities. It didn't last that long on DCL.

MJ

Anyone remember High Tea at Palo?....that started out at either $5 or $10. We went a few times but didn't think it was worth taking the time away from other activities. It didn't last that long on DCL.

MJ
We never got a chance to do that, I would have liked to try it once.

The more I think about this the more I think the 30 PP we would pay at Palo was too much and it could be where we are from. We have a great restaurant, very elevated comfort food, we go to around home and our eating time puts us there at happy hour, 2$ cheese curds and 3$ old fashioneds. The 2 of us with tip we are out under 50 bucks. For us this is at the edge of what we want to spend but the food is spectacular.

So paying 40 PP on a cruise for a meal that isn't really that much better then what we get back home is overpriced especially when you consider you are giving up a 25$ meal in the mdr. Remy and some of the pricier specialty spots on other lines are even more ridiculous.

Maybe this is because we are from the midwest and we don't have a lot of expensive places to eat or just that we have some reasonably priced spots with good food. No idea what it costs to eat out on the east and west coasts.

I do think though that when we get on a cruise we sometimes forget the value of money and toss it around more than we would back home. We have seen more than a few people on the last night at guest services flipping out about the cost of everything on their bill;)

The more I think about this the more I think the 30 PP we would pay at Palo was too much and it could be where we are from. We have a great restaurant, very elevated comfort food, we go to around home and our eating time puts us there at happy hour, 2$ cheese curds and 3$ old fashioneds. The 2 of us with tip we are out under 50 bucks. For us this is at the edge of what we want to spend but the food is spectacular.

So paying 40 PP on a cruise for a meal that isn't really that much better then what we get back home is overpriced especially when you consider you are giving up a 25$ meal in the mdr. Remy and some of the pricier specialty spots on other lines are even more ridiculous.

Maybe this is because we are from the midwest and we don't have a lot of expensive places to eat or just that we have some reasonably priced spots with good food. No idea what it costs to eat out on the east and west coasts.

I do think though that when we get on a cruise we sometimes forget the value of money and toss it around more than we would back home. We have seen more than a few people on the last night at guest services flipping out about the cost of everything on their bill;)

Oh yeah, that bill adds up quickly. The line at guest service the last night and departing morning is crazy.

Our bill ended up almost identical to our fare. It was a shock and a half but we didn't go to guest services.

when I first read about the increases, my first thought was that I wonder whether reasoning behind the Palo/Remy increases (which are substantial) was at all influenced by the increasingly large number of Platinum cruisers qualifying for free Palo? The laws of Supply & demand say that would make any remaining reservation slots at either upcharge restaurant more valuable

when I first read about the increases, my first thought was that I wonder whether reasoning behind the Palo/Remy increases (which are substantial) was at all influenced by the increasingly large number of Platinum cruisers qualifying for free Palo? The laws of Supply & demand say that would make any remaining reservation slots at either upcharge restaurant more valuable

Possibly or I could see them taking it away as well from platinum cruisers and making an Unobtanium level and moving the free palo there;)

Possibly or I could see them taking it away as well from platinum cruisers and making an Unobtanium level and moving the free palo there;)
Good Point. I just turned Platinum and hope to be able to try free Palo brunch one time on our cruise in November.....we'll see. :-)

It used to be $350!

I don’t think it is worth $40 but many things I pay for on the cruise are overpriced...such as the spa and bingo. It is nice occasionally, but I love the MDR as well, so unless it is included, I probably won’t go.

Remy is crazy for us non rich folks, but I would like to try it once just to see what the fuss is about.

They should create a new CC level and have free REmy or discount Remy and if going on the classic ships it could be an extra Palo, or tasting.

I think there are a lot of things on a cruise that are expensive, but we are often willing to shell it out due to it being vacation and all. I'm contemplating the photo package on our cruise ($340) - that's over $450 CAD. For pictures. I can't imagine paying this when not on vacation. Even as I type it out, it seems crazy ... yet I'm still mulling it over. Sigh.

I think there are a lot of things on a cruise that are expensive, but we are often willing to shell it out due to it being vacation and all. I'm contemplating the photo package on our cruise ($340) - that's over $450 CAD. For pictures. I can't imagine paying this when not on vacation. Even as I type it out, it seems crazy ... yet I'm still mulling it over. Sigh.

We were guilty too;) To this day I still wear a lot of DCL stuff to work:)

It definitely adds up, but I feel like Palo is definitely worth it, even with the increase.Especially given that that is app, entree and dessert for each person, plus anything extra you might want. We live in the deep south, low cost of living,ect and we definitely spend at least $150 bare minimum here to get a meal comparable to Palo in quality, more in bigger cities like New Orleans. We have elevated comfort food type restaurants like you are describing with similar cost, but Palo is a whole other level. If you are familiar with Ruth's Chris I would say the atmosphere, food, and service are comparable to that, which easily costs us $200+.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!