Transfer vs Rent vs Other Options Question

mikeymc1115

Earning My Ears
Hi there -

First time, long time

If this should be posted on the Rent/Trade board let me know but I think those rules said I should put it here.

Anyway, the Fiance and I would love to go to Aulani for our Honeymoon in Nov19. We have our home at OKW with 150 points and a December use year. (See the crappy timing of it all) We have already rented out our 2018 points (current UY) as well as 49 from Dec2019 to assist in paying for the shindig in November. That leaves 101 Dec19 points and obviously 150 Dec20 points. Those points combined would be enough for what we are looking for - Studio or 1Bdrm for about a week at Aulani.

The issue is clearly that I can't get or use the Dec20 points until Dec 1 2019; 1 month too late. What are my best options? Should I try to find a member who would swap 150 points with me so that I can use them prior to Dec and they get a free bank basically? Or should I borrow and rent out the Dec20 points, while also renting/transferring-in points for myself now and eat whatever the difference in $$ might be? Or is there any chance at all that DVC would let me borrow 2 UY in advance (really 1 month in advance) if I explain to them the situation and what we'd be using them for?

Let me know what you think and if you've ever gone through a similar process.

Thanks!

You cannot borrow two years, only one year. You can't borrow transferred points only use current or banked. That means you'd need 2019 points, but not Dec 2019 points. Rent out your points and pay cash.

So I think I can borrow from 2020 under normal conditions. Just not sure if there was anything about a resale specifically that delayed borrowing. Which seems not to be the case based on all responses. So thanks guys! Now I just have to wait to close and get membership set up.
No DVC will not allow this. What you could do is - first see if there is anything available for your time frame at Aulani -- you are now under 7 months so rooms are getting booked by all DVC members. If there is availability then i would look for a transfer of 2019 points from another member. You can borrow the 2019 points to help. You can also look at the time share store -- they often have points for transfer too. But before you go through trying to get points take a look at availability first and act quickly. Standard rooms will book the quickest so i would look for getting point to cover an ocean view studio.

Hmm, is there any way you could postpone your honeymoon until December? I know it isn’t ideal and not sure if your schedules would even allow it. But you would be able to use all your Dec ‘19 and ‘20 points. (DH and I had to wait a month after our wedding before we could honeymoon due to his work schedule. So we made the wedding weekend a short little local “staycation” and had a great honeymoon later. Not for everyone though.)

Otherwise, I agree with PP, check availability for the room/dates you want, and then look for a transfer.

Congratulations, BTW! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!