Training question from a 1/2 marathon newb. Help!

Violet Parr

DIS Veteran
So my teen daughter and I are running the half on January 7. We are slightly off of the runDisney training schedule. Last week was supposed to be a 3 mile long run on Sat, but we did an 8 mile (on Sunday.) It was 8.5 with warmup/cool down.

This week, we have not run once. It was a rough week with my daughter getting sick, election chaos and sleep schedules getting thrown way off. I just don't have it in me to run today, even a 30 on the treadmill. My husband is out of town, we homeschool, and it was such a rough week. Not making excuses. It just wasn't a good week for running.

I've been told taking a little time off or adjusting the training program is fine. My question is, I am wondering what we should do this weekend. The schedule has a 9.5 mile long run. We breezed through our 8 last week. I ran the whole thing without stopping, at an 11 min mile average, and when I was done, I wasn't at all out of breath, and felt like a million bucks and like I could run another 3 miles.

Since I did not run at all this week, should I make this weekend a 3 mile and then do the 9.5 next week after making sure I do my maintenance runs during the week? I don' t really want to do that. Would it be completely terrible to do the 9.5 this weekend with no maintenance run this week? I might be able to squeeze in a 30 this evening.

Grateful for any suggestions!

VP

The key to a training plan is the long run ... if you're truly feeling up to the long run, go for it!

But you know your body - I would say go out a little slower than you would originally have liked. And if you feel like you're feeling bad or struggling, don't hesitate to cut your mileage short and try again next weekend.

We're still weeks away from Marathon Weekend, so you definitely have time to make up the mileage.

Good luck!

I second what @Keels said. If you can do the 9.5, great. If not, just pick the schedule back up next week. Don't try to make up missed runs - just start again with what you have on the schedule for that day.

I know it's panicky to skip runs, but it's important to take care of yourself too. If you feel sick or run down, it's okay to take a few days off. It won't derail all of the training you have already done. :)

Thank you! I think I will go for it! If it turns out to be too tough, I'll switch to walking for a bit. I really think I can do it, though, as long as I get some good sleep tonight and tomorrow. Honestly, I had so much fun last week and felt absolutely amazing getting through the whole thing. I actually started crying when I was done. I've never run that far before in my life. I want to do it again!

VP

Good luck! A great run feels ... well, great - and empowering!

Just don't freak out and feel bad if it doesn't go as well as the previous run - just put in the miles and you're good to go.

Yeah, I told my daughter after the last one that I would have to not expect the next one to be amazing. The weather was also stunning on that run and my playlist was feeding me really good songs. All of the conditions were just perfect.

VP

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter