Training between runs??

alicat8

DIS Veteran
Currently training for the princess half. I'm just about to finish the couch to 5k. I like the program but I'm hoping for tips on what I can do on my "off" days. I've been in mediocre shape for a few years now, and I've never been a runner. But when I am in shape I tend to work out 5-6 days a week. I feel like I could be doing more than the C25k 3 days, but I don't know what to do that would help my endurance and not set me back.

Any tips from pros??

My first half marathon that I trained for I was new to running and ran almost every day and my knees gave out 2 weeks prior to the run and then at about mile 9. I was limping the rest of the way it hurt so bad. The next run I did was the Princess Half 2015 and I followed one of the Galloway plans through the runDisney site and I improved a lot and did not get injured during the race. I ran every other day, mostly two runs during the week and a long run on the weekends. On the off days, I do a total body pump class, pilates, zumba, or kickboxing. When I'm not in those I will get on the elliptical, bike, step, or rower. I feel the cross-training strengthens my legs and core and thus makes me less prone to injuries and also helps with endurance. My first half was ran at 12:45/mile, second at 11:00/mile, third at 10:27/mile, and fifth at 9:49/mile. My sixth will be in November and I hope to make it under the 2 hour mark!

My biggest tip - don't rush the training. Make sure you feel comfortable with something and then push it little by little.

I haven't run anything bigger than a 5k yet, but I do cross-training on my non-running days. Right now that involves some lifting and body exercises with a trainer 2 days as well as daily walks I take at lunch during the work week and a hike on the weekends (if I can squeeze it in). I'm thinking about adding some biking and/or swimming in the mix to help with overall cardiovascular health.

I took my wife from the couch (had never run before in her life) to a half marathon in 8 months a few years ago. I only allowed her to run 3 days/week that entire time, and built her mileage very gradually. I really do not recommend more than that for new runners unless the runner is 30 years old or younger.

In between we did a number of other things, but her primary "off day" exercise was walking. She walked 5 miles on most off days.

Good luck, and keep working. You are worth it.

I took my wife from the couch (had never run before in her life) to a half marathon in 8 months a few years ago. I only allowed her to run 3 days/week that entire time, and built her mileage very gradually. I really do not recommend more than that for new runners unless the runner is 30 years old or younger.

In between we did a number of other things, but her primary "off day" exercise was walking. She walked 5 miles on most off days.

Good luck, and keep working. You are worth it.
Well that's not me! I'm 35. :rotfl:

Everything I've read says not to run more than a few times a week. I was thinking yoga or cross training, so thanks for the tips everyone!

Well that's not me! I'm 35.

Everything I've read says not to run more than a few times a week. I was thinking yoga or cross training, so thanks for the tips everyone!
My wife was in her late 40s when we went through this. It created injury prevention challenges, but she made it.

Just keep it fun and you will do great!

When I started running ( I had been a walker) in 2008 and in my late 40's, I loved it and made the mistake of running 5 or 6 days a week and ended up with IT Band issues. I saw a PT for a while and got over it, but learned that I needed to incorporate cross training in....core strength etc. I am a lone wolf so I use online videos. I hope it is ok to say the sites I use, if not the mods can delete. Anyway I use youtube video by Jessica Smith, and Fitness Blenders. Listening to my body is my biggest asset. I can adjust or skip an exercise that is not for me.
You have plenty of time to build miles 3 days a week. Currently with the hot, hot weather I am walking and will beginning running again when it gets colder. Good luck and have fun!

When I started running ( I had been a walker) in 2008 and in my late 40's, I loved it and made the mistake of running 5 or 6 days a week and ended up with IT Band issues. I saw a PT for a while and got over it, but learned that I needed to incorporate cross training in....core strength etc. I am a lone wolf so I use online videos. I hope it is ok to say the sites I use, if not the mods can delete. Anyway I use youtube video by Jessica Smith, and Fitness Blenders. Listening to my body is my biggest asset. I can adjust or skip an exercise that is not for me.
You have plenty of time to build miles 3 days a week. Currently with the hot, hot weather I am walking and will beginning running again when it gets colder. Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for the suggestions! I've always been a random gym machine user, but I'm not one for classes or group training either.

I love Bob Harper or Biggest Loser workout DVDs for core strength building, etc, however I don't think they help with endurance, just strength, but that then helps with running. Biking is always good for endurance or swimming.

I'm training for my first half. Never a runner before March this year. I'll be running the wine and dine half and I've been following Galloway. I strength train with the 21 day fix.

Currently training for the princess half. I'm just about to finish the couch to 5k. I like the program but I'm hoping for tips on what I can do on my "off" days. I've been in mediocre shape for a few years now, and I've never been a runner. But when I am in shape I tend to work out 5-6 days a week. I feel like I could be doing more than the C25k 3 days, but I don't know what to do that would help my endurance and not set me back.

Any tips from pros??

Agree with others. Stick with 3x/week running for your first buildup (reduces injury risk). I like to do the following Medicine Ball routine (link) twice per week. It only takes about 15 minutes, but it's a nice small workout. It helps build the core so that I can use proper running form for longer periods of time.

Endurance running is something that is best built over long periods of time (like 3-7 years). So slowly increase your training load over years and years of effort and you will reap the most benefits.

Agree with others. Stick with 3x/week running for your first buildup (reduces injury risk). I like to do the following Medicine Ball routine (link) twice per week. It only takes about 15 minutes, but it's a nice small workout. It helps build the core so that I can use proper running form for longer periods of time.

Endurance running is something that is best built over long periods of time (like 3-7 years). So slowly increase your training load over years and years of effort and you will reap the most benefits.

What size medicine ball do you recommend working out with? I need to work on my core and that looks like a good, simple, quick method. I do have rotator cuff issues in my shoulders, if that plays into the size recommendation. Thanks!

What size medicine ball do you recommend working out with? I need to work on my core and that looks like a good, simple, quick method. I do have rotator cuff issues in my shoulders, if that plays into the size recommendation. Thanks!

I am by no means a medicine ball workout expert. In fact, the only experience I have with it is the workout I linked. With that being said, I started the plan using a 4 pound ball. In the beginning, that was difficult. Once I got comfortable with that, I started using a 6 pound ball. If I ever start to feel a diminish on returns (which I haven't yet), then my next step is to double the workout (go through it once and then recycle and do it all over again, as per the instructions). My choice of a 4 and 6 pound ball was merely based on what I currently own though. The only additional workout I've made is the following (it's similar to #9, but I do both legs at the same time):

-Lay on floor with ball behind head.
-Raise body such that only your rear is touching the ground (i.e.. legs off ground and crossed, and torso/head off ground)
-Simultaneously raise the ball to the middle of your body, while also bringing your knees to your head.
-The ball always stays above my head.
-Lower ball and legs simultaneously back to original position.
-However, between reps neither the legs or the ball ever touch the ground. Only the rear continues to make contact (and maybe a little of your back).

I made this one up though, so can't say what exactly it's doing, but it's definitely the hardest out of all of the moves I do.

You can strength train on the days you don't run. Running on its own, believe it or not, is not going to give you super strong legs and you need to work your core and arms as well. It will give your body a break from the days you run, while working on different muscle groups and providing variety to your training. A lot of folk see strength training as an extra to add to running. I used to look at it that way. Now I see it as my foundation and the running goes on top of that.

Well done on getting through the Couch to 5k! Awesome accomplishment and you should be very proud! :)

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I'll probably get a medicine ball! I definitely need core work. (Especially for a bridesmaid dress I'm not currently getting along with)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter