Trail's End bread pudding

Stratman50th

Loving all things Fort Wilderness!
I'm going to tackle the Trail's End bread pudding for one of the desserts tomorrow. Really looking forward to it, especially if it's a success!
Regardless as to how it turns out, I just want to thank @bama_ed for taking the time to convert the industrial size neighborhood feeding original recipe to something more reasonable.
In other news, it's Christmas eve. Merry Christmas to all. Even if you don't celebrate, Merry Christmas to you anyway! It's more than a day, it's a feeling.

I'm going to tackle the Trail's End bread pudding for one of the desserts tomorrow. Really looking forward to it, especially if it's a success!
Regardless as to how it turns out, I just want to thank @bama_ed for taking the time to convert the industrial size neighborhood feeding original recipe to something more reasonable.
In other news, it's Christmas eve. Merry Christmas to all. Even if you don't celebrate, Merry Christmas to you anyway! It's more than a day, it's a feeling.
I made it last year...it came out great!!

I made it last year...it came out great!!
Good to know! So, forgive my ignorance since it's been a long time since I had it at Trail's End. Does the praline sauce get poured over the top when it comes out, or is it on the side? (Which would probably be a bad move in my house!).

I serve the sauce on the side, Don, as it was done in Trails End. There was the the big pile of bread pudding one would serve out of then a table top warmer pot/jug with a ladle for the sauce. Some people like more/less pecans and more/less sauce so people work it out on their own.

The TE Bread Pudding recipe is in a PDF in this 2021 thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-real-authentic-trails-end-bread-pudding-recipe.3852344/

That link above also has a link to another thread from 2017 when our poster, @SamRoc, put out a request for the recipe and I just HAPPENED to be camping in loop 100 at the moment. So I went over and got the recipe and the rest is history.

Ed

PS - good luck Don!

Thanks for the clarification Ed.
Also, I apologize for not linking the thread but I printed it a long time ago, put in my trusty cookbook and promptly forgot where you had posted it.

That's okay, Don. Some folks may be seeing the topic mentioned for the first time so I wanted everyone (again) to have the chance to taste a piece of Fort Wilderness history.

I printed a copy too a long time ago. Besides all the cookbooks I have, I have a 3 ring binder that I keep all my internet recipes in that I print off. I like to have a physical copy (full size) to refer to rather than squint at a phone, tablet, or lap top screen while cooking. The printouts get put in clear sheet protectors so they can withstand the frequent flipping and handling.

The Trails End Bread Pudding recipe is Page "Numero Uno" in my binder.

Ed

PS - Dang, Don. Now you and Jimmy are making me hungry. We have another family gathering for out-of-state family on Wednesday (they've all been to the Fort) so I might offer to make up a batch to take over there. I hosted in-state family two days ago. (Did a peanut butter cheesecake drizzled with chocolate syrup and sprinkled with chopped Reese's chocolate peanut butter cup pieces). :thumbsup2

Not Fort related, but I frequently make the @bama_ed Crock pot pulled pork! Its excellent, and to quote Ed, "stupid easy"!
Imake Cole slaw and baked beans Togo with it.
Standing rib roast tonight, which is no longer standing. (Outside bone fell of and it's a laying down rib roast now).
Taters and salad.
Tomorrow Honey baked ham, green bean casserole, baked cheese potato casserole including corn flakes. Trail's End bread pudding and pecan pie.
Tomorrow night ill soak a couple pounds of beans. Tuesday I'll strip the ham and simmer the bones and beans all day, add all the leftover ham and we'll do. Ham and bean soup!

Not Fort related, but I frequently make the @bama_ed Crock pot pulled pork! Its excellent, and to quote Ed, "stupid easy"!

Stupid is right in my wheelhouse, Don. I have learned, though, when reheating leftovers it's a fine line. You don't want soggy meat but not dry either.

Oh and the white bbq sauce recipe I use is the cat's meow. In my family, not all want red bbq and not all want pork on a bun (sandwich). So I found a good white sauce recipe to offer with a red sauce recipe on bun or on plate. That's a 2-by-2 matrix meaning 4 offerings. White or red sauce, on or off bun.

I did a crock shoulder last week with potato salad, beans, and slaw. And cheesecake for dessert <chef's kiss>.

Enjoy the experience.

Ed

Last edited:
My grandma used up all the stale bread she had baked by making bread pudding. She was born in 1896 before cars and electricity. She would stick her hand in the wood fired stove to *test* the temperature. That bubbly, buttery goodness brings back memories minus the praline sauce! I can smell it now just thinking about it...

Enjoy!

Imake Cole slaw and baked beans Togo with it.
Standing rib roast tonight, which is no longer standing. (Outside bone fell of and it's a laying down rib roast now).
Taters and salad.
Tomorrow Honey baked ham, green bean casserole, baked cheese potato casserole including corn flakes. Trail's End bread pudding and pecan pie.
Tomorrow night ill soak a couple pounds of beans. Tuesday I'll strip the ham and simmer the bones and beans all day, add all the leftover ham and we'll do. Ham and bean soup!
Please forgive my impertinence for hijacking the thread, but you mentioned ham and beans. You may want to try this recipe for Red Beans and Rice which cannot be beat on a cold, rainy winter night in the South. I've made it several times, and it is to die for. It is the beating heart of New Orleans food.

https://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html

Please forgive my impertinence for hijacking the thread, but you mentioned ham and beans. You may want to try this recipe for Red Beans and Rice which cannot be beat on a cold, rainy winter night in the South. I've made it several times, and it is to die for. It is the beating heart of New Orleans food.

First off, no impertinence taken... if that's a thing? LOL. I always make the ham and beans so that tradition will continue.
I am a huge fan of red beans and rice so I will try it in the future. In fact I'm a fan of all the food I tried in New Orleans. I love Cajun cooking also!
Thanks for the recipe.

Please forgive my impertinence for hijacking the thread, but you mentioned ham and beans.

No problem.

I have a recipe in my 3-ring binder for "red beans and rice". 2 cans of red beans, a pound of sausage diced or chunked, spices and bay leaves, and served over rice.

If you want to start a DIS Campers Cooking thread you could lead with that and we could go DEEP in the weeds about spices, seasonings, and making a great roux.

I cook that recipe about 6x a year. South Louisiana is a great region to talk food recipes. Long ago I worked that region and it was a wonderful time.

Bama Ed

Well, the results of the Trail's End bread pudding are as follows.
Taste of the pudding and praline sauce was excellent. Texture, I'm not sure. It wasn't as wet as I remembered it. Mine came out with a cake like, or cinnamon bun texture. Am I remembering it wrong? Anyway, it really tasted like I remembered and I'll make it again! Thanks again Ed.

Well, the results of the Trail's End bread pudding are as follows.
Taste of the pudding and praline sauce was excellent. Texture, I'm not sure. It wasn't as wet as I remembered it. Mine came out with a cake like, or cinnamon bun texture. Am I remembering it wrong? Anyway, it really tasted like I remembered and I'll make it again! Thanks again Ed.
Hmmm... I don't recall mine being dry, but then again, I never had it without something over it, so I suppose I couldn't speak to a bite of just the pudding with nothing else on it :confused3

Heck I wrote a whole post about this and it didn't get uploaded for some reason. :headache:

On the PDF recipe in the linked thread I also include the ORIGINAL bulk recipe for the FW kitchen. I note that it called for 350F for 30 minutes in a CONVECTION oven with 'high' fan. I don't cook with a convection oven so I had to try to 'translate' that time/temp to a CONVENTIONAL oven. I didn't find a consistent way to do so and I ended up doing the best I could.

Also some of the ingredient conversion don't migrate well. 96 ounces of eggs? I buy my eggs by the piece (6/12/18). Too, the bread portion calls for "assorted pastries" which in its essence is the origins of bread pudding. Bread pudding was originally a way to use up the bread products (loaves, pastries, etc.) that were getting old/stale and use them in some fashion (folks didn't waste anything in those days). Some 'products' are more/less dense than others and thus absorb milk and eggs differently.

I included the original bulk FW kitchen recipe for a reason. My menu is 1/16th of the bread portion. Anyone is free to go behind me and true up/tweak the recipe to make it better/closer to the original. I gave it my best shot but I am by no means an expert in convection oven recipe conversions. Make a suggestion and I can update the recipe.

Don, the first time I made this recipe, it came out same as yours. In later iterations I cut back on the bake time and it was better. I didn't know if I screwed up the first time or what. But if anyone has a contact who is better at converting convection recipes to conventional recipes, I'm open to it.

I have a lemon cheesecake up next on my bake list this week but I will get back to the Trails End Bread Pudding in about 3 weeks max when we have another gathering.

Ed

EDIT: oh my post is on the main FW board and I re-wrote this on the Community board. Don is so quick I can't keep up with him (@Stratman50th ).

Last edited:
Bring some bourbon with a shot of eggnog. :drinking1

We will be at the Fort very soon.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter