Trailer in tent site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Fran

Earning My Ears
Will a 23 foot trailer fit on a tent site? We made reservations for Halloween a year and a half ago and just bought a trailer. Not worried about the hook up for sewer, we will just use the comfort station.

Fort Wilderness rule is no hard sided campers in the tent loops, pop-ups and van campers are allowed. So if its a regular travel trailer the answer is no but the big question is will they enforce the rule. With it being Halloween week I would think they would. I would call the Fort directly and see if you can change your site to a premium, preferred or full hook up site even though its a very busy week you never know.

Oh no. We got the trailer so we could bring our Corgi. We have camped in tent sites about 10 times and have had regular trailers on our loop at least 4 times
I guess it is another example of the inconsistent enforcement of rules. I will call and see what happens. TY

Dis Fran,

Below is a screen shot of the actual reservation page to reserve a camp site at the Fort. It states "room for..." and "accommodates ...", but no where does it say "Restricted to...". Other may have links to specific rules that do state restrictions, but as you've already seen on prior trips, rule enforcement is arbitrary, at best, at the Fort.

If you are challenged at check in (I doubt you will be), your 2 defenses are, the reservation site doesn't say anything about not allowing hard side trailers and you have a long history of tent camping in the Tent loops next to other folks with a similar hard sided camper. The description says "accommodates equipment on a concrete pad 10 X 25." Your camper is "equipment" and a 23 ft TT will fit on a 10 X 25 concrete pad.

Camping Type.PNG

I would't sweat it, but be prepared for the conversation. My experience has been if you are polite, have a logical argument and maybe cry :-), you'll be fine. Actually, I doubt it will even be mentioned.

Now, if I showed up with my 42ft 5er, it could be a different conversation... It would probably start with the CM asking, "Really?!!!" :D

j

Also interested in this topic. My 20.5 foot, hitch to bumper, KZ 180BH is shorter than some pop ups with their bunk extended.

We are former tent campers and so far have only had full hooks once. I also can't imagine everyone getting ready for a day in the parks in our tiny bathroom so we would mostly use the comfort stations.

received_1967287390004493 (1).jpeg

We have had a 20' hybrid on the tent sites more then once. Had no problems.

But do they somehow call that a "Pop Up" because it has I don't know canvas? And if your box is 20 foot, when you extend your bunks you are going to be what 8 to 10 feet longer than my TT? Not a matter of not fitting but just not allowed.

2nd thought --- Do you tow with the Cherokee? If so, is it the 4X4 Limited Model?

Thank You.

Yes, its a 2014 V6 4x4 latitude but for towing this large you just need V6 and the factory tow package installed when built. With V6 and factory tow your tow spec is 4,500 lbs.

Oh and the trailer, a KZ 180BH, is 2,750/3,500 gross and I hope its not too much over 3,000.

Last edited:

Yes, its a 2014 V6 4x4 latitude but for towing this large you just need V6 and the factory tow package installed when built. With V6 and factory tow your tow spec is 4,500 lbs.

Oh and the trailer, a KZ 180BH, is 2,750/3,500 gross and I hope its not too much over 3,000.

Much appreciated your reply. I looked up the KZ line, nice size/weight specs. BTW, DW special ordered a 2017 Overland 4x4 but we should have gotten the optional transmission for actual off-road usage. Good to go for the towing I've already done but not to tow behind the motorhome. :rolleyes: Took the word of the salesperson-big mistake.

ENJOY THE MANY TRIPS AHEAD !!!

But do they somehow call that a "Pop Up" because it has I don't know canvas? And if your box is 20 foot, when you extend your bunks you are going to be what 8 to 10 feet longer than my TT? Not a matter of not fitting but just not allowed.

Of course if you ever want to know what your trailer weighs, go to a truck stop while hooked up. Go inside and tell them you want to weigh your camper, it is about 10 bucks, you go out pull on the scale. Placing your tow vehicle on the first pad, and trailer on the second one. you then go inside and they will give you a slip with the weights. Of course you want to do this when it is loaded as you would for camping, clothes, food, etc.

BTW, DW special ordered a 2017 Overland 4x4 but we should have gotten the optional transmission for actual off-road usage. Good to go for the towing I've already done but not to tow behind the motorhome. :rolleyes: Took the word of the salesperson-big mistake.

Yes you need AD II or a Trailhawk to tow 4 wheels down. My sales person when I said we needed a tow package said they could add one but I said no. I follow a KL specific forum and heard some stories of how the dealer added a tow package but not factory package *. They sent it to U haul and the slapped a hang below Reese aftermarket hitch.

* But either way according to Jeep, only a tow package added at the factory gets you a 4,500 tow spec.

Of course if you ever want to know what your trailer weighs, go to a truck stop while hooked up. Go inside and tell them you want to weigh your camper, it is about 10 bucks, you go out pull on the scale. Placing your tow vehicle on the first pad, and trailer on the second one. you then go inside and they will give you a slip with the weights. Of course you want to do this when it is loaded as you would for camping, clothes, food, etc.

Yes seen many videos on how to weight a TT at a CAT scale. Never felt I needed to do it.

Yes you need AD II or a Trailhawk to tow 4 wheels down. My sales person when I said we needed a tow package said they could add one but I said no. I follow a KL specific forum and heard some stories of how the dealer added a tow package but not factory package *. They sent it to U haul and the slapped a hang below Reese aftermarket hitch.

* But either way according to Jeep, only a tow package added at the factory gets you a 4,500 tow spec.

The car was built for DW with her name on build sheet so the factory installed the tow package as ordered; HOWEVER, since the Overland bumpers are fully painted, the factory installed hitch was not an option. The hitch had to be installed after delivery to dealer with the cutout made by the person installing the hitch. First time around the installer missed cutting the opening properly and a new bumper had to be order, painted and reinstalled after the cut. That one also was messed up so another bumper had to be ordered. Believe it or not, the opening is still not factory perfect.

The car was built for DW with her name on build sheet so the factory installed the tow package as ordered; HOWEVER, since the Overland bumpers are fully painted, the factory installed hitch was not an option. The hitch had to be installed after delivery to dealer with the cutout made by the person installing the hitch. First time around the installer missed cutting the opening properly and a new bumper had to be order, painted and reinstalled after the cut. That one also was messed up so another bumper had to be ordered. Believe it or not, the opening is still not factory perfect.

I keep forgetting that the Overland was Tow Package prepped and you just had to add the hitch.

I just left the tent section in the 2000 loop today and saw 2 regular hard side campers in there. They were 19-20' long.

I just left the tent section in the 2000 loop today and saw 2 regular hard side campers in there. They were 19-20' long.

Perhaps someone knows, but I would question why there would be a rule against this? I understand if rigs are too big, but in the world of small box trailers, hybrids and teardrops, what would be the justification for NOT allowing small trailers on those sites? Disney gets the same money and it doesn't impact facility usage in significant ways. I'm just trying to come up with a reason that hard-side trailers (small enough to comfortably fit) would not be allowed. Anyone?

Perhaps someone knows, but I would question why there would be a rule against this? I understand if rigs are too big, but in the world of small box trailers, hybrids and teardrops, what would be the justification for NOT allowing small trailers on those sites? Disney gets the same money and it doesn't impact facility usage in significant ways. I'm just trying to come up with a reason that hard-side trailers (small enough to comfortably fit) would not be allowed. Anyone?

Because there are no sewage facilities there, and 'most' trailers have sewer hook ups, there is nowhere for those hook ups to be used.

Tents on the other hand do not need sewage hookups, nor would the majority of pop ups -
Just a general answer, maybe there are other reasons also--

Because there are no sewage facilities there, and 'most' trailers have sewer hook ups, there is nowhere for those hook ups to be used.

Tents on the other hand do not need sewage hookups, nor would the majority of pop ups -
Just a general answer, maybe there are other reasons also--

Campers don't need sewer hook-ups either, they have their own black and grey tanks so Idk if that is a reason the wouldn't allow them.
I wonder if it is about size, as they say they can accomodate pop-ups and camping vans, which can come equipped with tanks as well.
When you get in to RV territory they can go as long as 40+ feet. It may just be easier to say "no hard sided" RVs than to deal with people who will want to squeeze one in that really doesn't fit so they don't have to pay the full hook-up site rate.

Campers don't need sewer hook-ups either, they have their own black and grey tanks so Idk if that is a reason the wouldn't allow them.
I wonder if it is about size, as they say they can accomodate pop-ups and camping vans, which can come equipped with tanks as well.
When you get in to RV territory they can go as long as 40+ feet. It may just be easier to say "no hard sided" RVs than to deal with people who will want to squeeze one in that really doesn't fit so they don't have to pay the full hook-up site rate.

Agreed that no sewer would not be a reason - as MANY campsites across the country do not provide it. We generally try to have sewer where we stay, but can certainly do without (at least for a few days).

You may be right on the 'ease of application' when it comes to the rule. Ruling out all hard-sided trailers might be easier. But, their inconsistency in enforcement (at least as suggested on here) simply makes it hard again. If they try to refuse the site to someone with a hard side trailer by saying 'No hard sided trailers allowed,' and that person can point to another parked in a site 4 spots down, it's hard to enforce. They might be better to set a max length (hitch to bumper) and call it a day.

Nonetheless, it's all pointless to me (we are 35' and there's no way we'd be fitting), but I do continue to wonder what the mindset really is for enforcement.

This pop up is a foot longer than my TT closed up and almost 8 feet shorter opened. Its dry weight is also 1,000 lbs heavier.

ImageHandler.ashx

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=157&Image=5042&ModelID=797#Main

I've only camped at one full hook up site so far but in the future I think we will maybe only have full hook ups 25% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!