• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

tracfone/mobile phone

alisonbestford

<font color=990066>Can cope with the dentist after
I don't know whether anyone can help on this one but here goes!
My husband, 3 year old daughter and myself will be visiting Florida on 11th April for two weeks.
Does anyone know of any schemes for renting mobile phones whilst we are there? Our mobiles won't work in America and the cheapest ones to buy over here are £199 each plus call time! The reason I feel phones would be invaluable is because my husband tires very easily from a brain tumour and his days will most certainly be far shorter than ours. It would make life much easier if we were able to contact each other to make arrangements about meeting up.
Any ideas would be much appreciated. I have looked at the price of buying a Tracfone-would one be easy enough to find when we are there?
Thanks.
Alison
:bounce:

:smooth:

Hi Alison,
We asked this same question some time ago on the old UK Dis and were told that we would find trac phones at Wal Mart, but we've recently been told that the old price of $19.99 per phone was harder to find as everyone had been buying them, waybe it's still worth a try though.
Wal Mart has a web site that you could have a look at(i think it;s walmart.com)and see if they had any in stock, they will probably have the more expensive trak phones but as we're leaving in a couple of days,we wont have time to send for one so we're just keeping our fingers crossed that there are some left when we go.

Hope that helped a little Alison,I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if i'm wrong.

Luv Audrey
xxxxxxxxxx:bounce:

Hi Alison,
there's a thread half way down this page titled "Two way radio - where to get them?"

Fatman has left a link to trac phones.

Luv AUDREY XXXXXXX

Thanks Audrey,
I did try looking at the Walmart website but got a bit confused-not difficult!!
I don't think 2 way radios will do the job as the biggest distance I've seen them cover is 2 miles.
Alison
:sunny:

Hi Alison

Just done a quick search on Yahoo and have come up with the following website

http://www.mobell.co.uk/motorola-timeport-prices-and-specifications.asp

As you can see, this is a UK website and offers a Motorola Timeport which my DW wife has and works fine in Florida. We're just back a week and she was never off it!!!! It says you can keep your existing number, so that I'm sure would be handy. Call rates would be as specified by your Service Provider at their International Roaming Rates.

They're charging £6 a day with insurance of £1.50 a day.

Hope this helps. Just click on the link above and it will take you through to the page with all the info.

Good luck

jj.......;)

Alison

We have an independant mobile phone shop near us.
The guy is clued up.

He has offered me a Triband phone (unlocked so you can put any sim card in from your own phone and it will work like normal) at 10 pounds/week or 40 pounds to buy outright. I think it is a motorola timeport 250.
A lot cheaper than renting.
Have you got an independant mobile phone shop that does secondhand phones nearby?

I have also heard that you can get cheap SIM cards in the USA with eg 30 dollars of calls on them that are "disposable".
It saves you paying the 1 pound a minute to use your phone in the USA (so long as you have an unlocked phone).
I am investigating this option at the moment.

ATB
Jimmie L

I think I am very confused but will look into the sites everyone has posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thankyou.
I only spoke to someone at 'Carphonee Warehouse' which I suppose is hardly 'independent'!
I shall do further investigations.
Thank you again,
Alison
:pinkbounc

Just a follow up on my question about mobile phones for anyone travelling from the UK.
Carphone Warehouse rent out mobiles (Motorola Timeport) complete with Sim cards, chargers etc for £1 a day. They are delivered to your door for a small fee (£7) and collected again when you return home.
You pay £1 / minute for calls within the USA but, as we want them more for 'piece of mind' this isn't a problem.
Just thought I'd share this option.
Alison

5 days to go!!!!!!!!!

:sunny:
:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter