TR - Solo in November - update 11/5 - LAST day

Day 3 - Second Full Day

The first part of this is really a continuation of Day 2. Watched the World Series Game 7, Cubs won - yippee! It would have been nice to be with my husband during this historic moment, but when I started planning this in March, I couldn't have known this would happen.

The other memorable part of last night was I had part of a tooth break off .. ouch! I wasn't sure what to do, decided that although when it happened was a big OW! it wasn't hurting. I have to admit my second thought (after ***?) was "What am I going to do about my Carthay Circle WOC lunch" and then ... should I be doing something?

Decided to sleep and see how things were in the morning, then call the dentist.

So, got up (closer to my planned time), decided as long as I kept to soft, relatively room temperature foods I would probably be fine, went out for the free breakfast and had yogurt, a banana, and a pbj sandwhich.

Headed over at 8ish for the 9 am MM. When I went yesterday the security lines were open; this time they weren't. They opened at about 8:40 (I meant to write down the time, but I forgot). People then RAN to the DL gates ... I walked.

And ... while it looks like the first few people were in fact by the turnstiles, soon after that it joined into one line per gate. In thinking about this while standing in line, I think it has to do with larger families (and this is NOT saying this is wrong, or a problem). When you get larger families, it gets hard to keep the tighter spaced turnstile lines, so people just line up behind them, and it turns into a single gate line. This actually could have happened yesterday too, but since I was at the front I didn't notice.

When the gates opened there was another mad dash. I ended up here waiting for rope drop:
mmemh.jpeg
At rope drop I went to the right, then towards Matterhorn, and ended up by Alice. I did Alice just about a walk on, Toad (a definite what is up ending? Guess I need to know the book to get it), Snow White (a definite "I think you missed a critical part of the story that makes it happy ever after" ending). Pinocchio was down, but expected to be up, so I rode the carousel, then caught up on some texts about my son (who is having an IBS flare up...). As that was winding down, Pinocchio opened, and I rode that. Had all of that done by 10ish. Walked through Sleeping Beauty's Castle, then headed to Buzz, and my score was down. Oh well.

Headed to DCA, did Monster's inc, and then went to Turtle Talk. Man, I LOVE turtle talk. I could go several times a day and enjoy every time. While there I took a pic of the billboard with the various times/characters for Animation Academy so I could refer to it as needed.

It was 11:20ish, so I headed over the Carthay Circle, only to find it opens at 11:30, so I had to wait until it officially opens. Caught up on more texts, then headed in.

I knew it was really nice in there, but I guess once again I didn't realize how nice. After checking in, I looked at all the pictures on the first floor, of Walt and various stars - pretty awesome. Went upstairs, and perused the seasonal fall menu.
ccWOClunch_fall16.jpeg
With soft and easy to chew in mind, went for the soup, the tri-tip (figured I could cut it into small pieces, and it wasn't going to be chewy), and the Butterscotch Panna cotta. It was all wonderful. The soup is pretty spicy hot, so if you're contemplating it, be forewarned. I took my time (being careful), and while I didn't finish the blue cheese risotto (by then it was a bit overwhelming blue cheese), I thought the price was worth it, especially getting a premium spot for WOC with it. Usually for lunch I wouldn't do an appetizer, entree and dessert; heck, even at someplace like Chili's or Applebees if I had all three things, with two sodas and a coffee, it could easily get close to $40.

After lunch I went out and realized Goofy was right by the entrance, and got in line for a picture. Here he is feeling me up:
goofy.jpeg
Not really, the person using my camera caught him mid-move to hug me, but I thought it weird/funny. I did look at the photopass pics, and there is one really good one there. Not sure it's worth the money, though.

Checked what was happening at Animation Academy, and it was Jack Skellington! And they did him dressed as Sandy Claws! And I am not sharing my attempted drawing because I am not good at drawing even with instructions from a professional!

After that excitement I went shopping ... for the kids. I was really missing them, and thinking about my next two trips, first with my daughter and then with my son, and what they would want to do and wouldn't want to do, etc.

I was pretty hot and thirsty, and it had been almost an hour and half since lunch, and I needed to get back to the hotel so the chocolate I bought wouldn't melt, but I was hot and thirsty so I headed to Ghiradelli for a shake to sip on on the way back. Noticed they still had fast passes for Radiator Springs on the way over there, so I picked one up; it was for 7:15-8:00, which seemed perfect for doing before heading over to WOC. Got my shake and figured out how to sip it and have it stay on one side of my mouth ... not as easy as you'd think.

Headed to the hotel, getting there about 2:30. It seems that about 5-6 hours is when I max out and need a break, based on the last few days. I may plan for that fact tomorrow. Had fun rinsing with salt water, then realized I never called the dentist - and found out they had closed for the day. Ooops.

Took a nap, had dreams of Mickey and Goofy and teeth. I wonder why ..

Headed back out around 4:45, going to DCA. Wandered through the shops again, then went on Ariel. It was just after 6 by then, and the app said 45 minutes for Toy Story, and I thought what the heck. When I got there (only stopping once quickly at one shop), the little placard in front said 25 minutes. Timing it, it was about 30 in line. When I got out, it was getting close to the time for my fast pass, so I headed that way, which is a bit circuitous. Got there just around 7:15, and they let me through. It was dark, and a lot of fun. I was in the second row, and when I went to look at the picture, the person in the front row had their hands up and covered my face completely. I didn't mention it, but the first time I was on Astro Blasters, the pic of me had me with the blaster in front my face and covered me completely as well. I see a theme here...

Decided to get a dinner cone to eat on the way to WOC, and got the chicken verde. UGH. Awful, gross, icky. I am not found of mac and cheese, and I was concerned about the crunchy fritos in the chili con queso (which I really like), or I would have gotten one of those. Ended up throwing half of it away.

Then had the joy of figuring out where I was supposed to go in. Figured it out, it was kinda hard because other lines were blocking the entrance. There was no line for the entrance, just other lines making it seem like there was a line.... Viewing area was very nice, I stood on the top step by a light. (attempt at a panorama)
FullSizeRender.jpg

Didn't win the wheel game, gosh darn it.

WOC (whatever version is playing now) is spectacular - worth every moment of standing on very sore feet after a long day (which was the most pertinent criteria to me at that point). Followed the crowds out, kind of surprised we had to be funneled into the single tent exit points off the esplanade, would have thought they'd have a few more open to get out at the end of the day.

Back in my hotel room, figuring out tomorrow.

Must dos:
Mickey's Magical Map
Pooh ride
Tangled
Pixar Play parade [edited to add: what the heck! It's on the weekly schedule, as running Friday-Sunday, but not on the online schedule.... I'll have to ask tomorrow what's up]

Want to do:
Pirates (again)
Haunted house (again)
Beignets (again)
fireworks ...
soundsational parade (again)
Animation Academy (again)
Turtle talk (again)
Enchanted Tiki Room
Downtown Disney

outside possibility of doing
Toy Story midway mania (again)
Mater's Jamboree
Luigi's tires
Matterhorn (right side)

That's a pretty full day!
(edited to add a few more things to do and some editing for clarity).
(edited to add panorama of WOC viewing location)

Last edited:
Day 4 - Last full day

I was at the security line around 8 ish, about third in line. Was second in line at the gates. Talking with people, the whole gate/turnstile/line thing seems to be determined by the CMs. Today we were lined up by gate, which turned out to be fortunate as some of the turnstile people were running late, and they only opened one turnstile to start. And since there was only one line, there was no grumbling, etc.

While waiting at the gate, talked to a very nice mom/daughter from Canada, and then a Dad/son celebrating a birthday. Yesterday the dad/son went on Hyperspace Mountain five times(!) - they just kept getting a fast pass as soon as they could. Today they hoped to do the same, but for Splash Mountain. Then at the rope, talked with a family that hoped to ride Splash as many times as they could in the three hours they could spend in the park today as well. Clearly Splash Mountain was the place to be (or not).

Me? I headed for Winnie the Pooh, because this was the first day I could ride it. I secretly hoped that Eeyore would be in greeting, but alas nobody was out yet. The one family (by rope drop) saw me ambling over to Winnie, and waved at me; when I was done they were still in the same place, and Splash hadn't opened. I wished them well, then about 15 people down I saw the father/son; the dad was under the impression it could be another hour before it was ready. As I parted from them, I saw a bunch of people carrying tools headed their way ... of course, one of the ways to get to the new Star Wars land is that way too, so it could have been people going to that.

Went on Haunted Mansion, then picked up some beignets. Pirates was a super short wait, so I went on that. Went to the theater, and realized I had the whole when Beauty and when Tangled was on completely wrong; I thought they alternated. Nope, they do Beauty in the morning, Tangled in the afternoon.

Stopped by Indy to get a fast pass and then went to the 'Tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki room". Forgot how much fun that is. Shopped a bit until it was fast pass time, and remembered why I don't like IJ. To add to my bumpy morning, I then went to the Matterhorn, and rode the right side track.

By then it was 11:35ish, and Mickey and the magical map was at 1 - and it was hot. Decided to plan the afternoon out, and then sat and waited for the Magical map show. It was really good, but I wish the sound mixing had been better for the singers. I could tell the vast majority were extremely talented, but they were mixed too low so it was hard to hear them over the rest of the music. Even the one guy I had my doubts about - the guy who did Sebastian - may have been amazing, but I couldn't hear him!

Headed over to catch the 2:30 show of Tangled, ended up having some rest time before that started. Then did some shopping in New Orleans square before a late lunch at Cafe Orleans (I had a 3:40 reservation, but as they weren't busy they let me in at 3:20).

Super quick side note - I spent less than $100 on shopping (and that includes my hat, souvenirs for the kids, and a few stocking stuffers). When I say shopping, 90% of the time its just wandering through the shops. But since there are some items that are only in some shops, I like to wander through all the different ones in the different locations.

Had a delicious late lunch of salad, soup, and french fries. The soup and french fries were based on the reviews I've read online, the salad was an attempt to have something healthy in the lunch. Couldn't finish the fries, but otherwise it was a nice combo. Let the soup cool some to make it more manageable.

After that, headed to Main street, and was able to find a space to watch the parade, thanks to some very nice people. There were two parades today, and it turns out the first one starts at small world, the second one starts at main street - and I was on main street so it took a bit to get to us. Super cute kid who was really into drumming was in the middle of the street drumming pretty much until about two minutes before the parade got to him, and the photographers got some pics of him with the parade behind him, as though he was leading the parade. I hope it made his day!

Window shopped while it cleared out some, then went to DCA. Was considering Animation academy, but instead just wandered down that way, wasn't interested in Animation academy person, went past TOT with the scaffolding, and through Bugs Land. I have never ridden a ride in that area, and contemplating if I should, when I decided I'd rather do the ones in Cars land that I hadn't.

So I went around the corner to Cars Land and did the Junkyard Jamboree (not on my list to do again), and Luigi's ride, which was super fun. I know next time to keep an eye on the times for it and go when it's not not too long. Maybe even a few times!

By this time I had been going for almost eleven hours (I left my room around 7:30 to get breakfast), and was super tired. Decided to use up the last of my Ghiradelli gift card, and by 7:00 was in my hotel room having a sundae and starting this up. Even now, I could go back for the last four hours ... but I'm just not going to make it. I'm not even sure I'll make it tomorrow morning!

Day 5 ... in which I do actually make it back to DLR

I woke up somewhat late (it seems each day I woke up later and later), but figured since I wasn't able to use MM, it wasn't that big a deal. Decided to spend my last hours before I had to head out at DCA, was in line by 7:15, and was 4th in line. Gates opened at 7:30, and it was interesting to see how many people went to the TOT rope, and how many to the carsland/paradise pier rope. Rope drop was at 8.

Another side note: that early in the day, the water area in WOC is drained down and people work on the jets for the WOC show. I have a pic, and will try to get it up tomorrow.
IMG_0963.JPG

I was planning on going to TSMM, and by the time I got there (after all the running people who weren't supposed to run got there ... and everyone who walked faster than me, which was just about everyone) it was still a walk on. I rode it back to back and probably could have done it a few more times, but wanted to get to Ariel. Took the long way around and debated Goofy's fly school and thought to myself "what are you thinking?" so kept on walking. Unfortunately, Ariel was down and they weren't sure when it would be up.

Well, there are other rides I wanted to do, so I went over to Cars Land, to ride Luigi's ride, and rode it twice. Wish I had done this one before this trip!

Decided the smooshed granola bar I had eaten wasn't enough, and went to get some breakfast ... turns out that only Ghiradelli is the only restaurant open in the morning in that food court type area. So I went and had a cinnamon roll from Fiddler, etc. ... frankly, not worth the $. Headed over to Animation Academy, and got distracted by Minnie Mouse pulling someone out of the way of the tram - Minnie saves the day! Watched her hug and interact with kids, and then with Mickey, and then went to the animation academy ... and it was 3 minutes past the time for turtle talk / animation academy - and they are only on the half hour. If I hadn't gotten so distracted watching the character interactions, I would have made it. On the other hand, how often would I see Minnie save the day?

So went to see Monsters, Inc. which I enjoyed again, and on the way out Mr. Incredible was available for pics and signing autographs. But he wasn't saving lives like Minnie!

Decided to head to Red Trolly stop and take the Red Trolly, as I'd never done that. Fun, but not as fun as I'd hoped. However, a few people dressed up for Dapper day, which was super cool.
IMG_0964.JPG

Bought some last minute treats to take home, and headed out of the park.

In general, starting the day at DCA was awesome. Generally less crowded for the first few hours.

Did stop by the ticket booth to figure out if I could/should upgrade to an annual pass. If I knew for sure I was going back within the next 51 weeks, I would have, but I don't have anything planned. The price to upgrade to the lowest pass is less than another five day park hopper. Maybe next time. BTW, the lady at the window said the pass would be backdated to the first day I used by 5 day park hopper.

I then realized I had 15 minutes to get to my room and check out ... made it! Love being on Harbor so close to the Parks!

Checked out, had them hold my bags, and then went out to find Pizza Press. Delicious, and perfect for holding me over for several hours.

Used Uber and had to say goodbye...

I have a few more pics, and will do a general summary and wrap up next time.

Edited to add pics.

Last edited:

I am so sorry to hear about your dog.. We just found out one of ours has a tumor and is getting surgery to remove it on Tuesday. It is always a shock when they take turn for the worst and everything seems to happen so fast.
How did things go?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter