TR: And now for something completely different - a WDW Family did DLR *(new - 4/15: HK Disneyland)*

Cinderella Castle is the centerpiece, not just of the Magic Kingdom but of the entire Florida Project - it was meant to be seen beyond the park and draw you in from the TTC and build anticipation as you travel around on the monorail. To me, Sleeping Beauty Castle doesn't do that - it is more the entrance to Fantasyland - something that appears to be off in the distance down Main St. and just changes the tone when you move from the "world of yesterday" to the "world of Fantasy" - and it serves that purpose well.
I like this description and agree. Of course, walking through the Sleeping Beauty castle exhibit is a nice bonus (though our experience was cut a bit short by a head bump in the dark :sad2:).

Space Mountain: This obviously had an overlay on it but even without that, you could tell the ride was smoother. But the fact it can have an overlay add to it for me as well. Winner: Disneyland
I loved the overlay (Hyperspace Mountain for us), as it really added a "story" element vs. the regular version. However, I think I am a bit of an outlier in that I really prefer the actual coaster/track design at WDW - I am a fan of those quick drops and there were almost none at DLR - just a bunch of circles, which I don't love.

Splash Mountain: The one at Walt Disney World feels a bit more impressive and bigger - also larger boats. This one though has so many more animatronics and they all seemed to be working. It's close, but I go Disneyland
I really enjoy them both and would have to ride DLR's more than once to really compare - but I did get to ride it all by myself and that made it memorable - you can sing your heart out to the songs, talk back to the characters, etc. Fun!

Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road: So much smoother at Disneyland and the explosion effects are awesome! Disneyland wins again!
Totally agree. I think I could have literally ridden that all day. But I think I only went on like 4 times. :rotfl: This has always been one of my WDW favorites, but the new effects at DLR made it even better.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Not even close - getting to pass Blue Bayou and the entire beginning part ... just shows what Imagineering can do with the time and money they need. While WDW has the mermaids, this is still all Disneyland.
I agree and, much like Splash, I also got a solo ride here, which was pretty amazing. pirate:

It's a Small World: Disneyland has the Disney characters and a much better facade and you get to load outdoors.
We really enjoyed the character spotting on the inside. Though, I didn't find the outdoor loading to be an advantage because it also meant an outdoor queue and it felt like we were melting in the direct sun forever while waiting. :sunny:

Little Mermaid: Basically same ride, but much better queue at WDW
Our experience is probably a little skewed - we only went on the DLR one once, but we were probably on it for nearly half an hour, due to three separate breakdowns (one particularly long). I think the queue was just a queue, from my memory (of having skipped most of it to jump in with Dug and Izzy).

Atro Orbiters: up high at WDW so that makes it better
One of my favorite DLR memories from going about 10 years ago was seeing the fireworks from Astro Orbiters. And I don't really care for the ride in general at either park, so that memory keeps DLR's as my "favorite."

Tower of Terror: Has the extra inside scene at WDW
Yeah, very lacking without the forward movement. But I still enjoyed it. What surprised me (only because I hadn't thought about it beforehand) was how DIFFERENT the view is when you are up high and the doors open! You see landscape and stuff - not just trees and WDW bubble-ness, but mountains! It was pretty cool.

Peter Pan: The queue is better at WDW but I heard the ride itself is better at DLR
Having spent 40 minutes in the DLR queue, I can tell you there is nothing of interest there - just switchbacks. The ride, however, had some recent updates/refreshes and was really sparkly and vibrant. If the line was ever less than 40 minutes, I would've liked to go again.

This one there are two angles to - on one hand, it feels like "pure" Disney when you see the light on in Walt's apartment and Characters wandering around at the Disneyland Hotel or eat at the Plaza .... but on the other hand, the bubble bursts a bit when you ride the monorail and see outside the park. And as cool as it was to see the monorail and Tower of Terror from our hotel, knowing it wasn't a Disney hotel also made it a bit odd.

And walking back from the park and seeing cast members in their work outfits getting onto regular buses to go home, seeing people hawking cheap trinkets on the corner, and (on a few occasions) seeing a homeless person in the bus stop, definitely intruded on that bubble
Yeah, we saw some of this too - but only for a very limited time. Staying across the street at BWPPI felt very bubble-like. It was really only the few minutes at the crosswalk that made you feel out of the bubble and then you crossed the street and the music was playing and it transported you right in.

A big plus for me was that you could easily walk between the parks, hotels, and Downtown Disney without all those annoying waits for buses. (Though I did miss riding boats). Not having any time on the road felt bubble-like to me.

Though, if I reflect I think I have to say that we really are a Walt Disney World Family.
I would agree with you on this, HOWEVER, I have to admit that I uttered something early on in our trip that will likely end up being the title of my TR, "I think I might be a Disneyland person!" I really, really enjoyed the trip - to the point that I would even consider going to DLR again before WDW. But, in my heart, I am definitely a WDW person - I mean, there is no Epcot at DLR! But I was surprised at how "at home" I felt on a first more-than-1-day visit. I can see us going back if Dug's company keeps their annual retreat in the area.

Thanks for sharing your views and your TR! As always, I've loved reading along! :goodvibes

I agree that while DL is smaller, it never felt that way while I was actually there.

Regarding CMs, I also felt they are much nicer at WDW. Maybe, like you, I've just been lucky in that aspect! I did encounter some not so enthusiastic CMs at Disneyland that did make me a little sad. But at the same time, we encountered some that went above and beyond! So I guess it just depends on who you come across.

Agree- lots more food options at DL!

I agree that I loved Space, HM (probably only because of the overlay), BTMRR and Small World better at Disneyland!

There were a couple of rides I didn't get to ride at DL that WDW has. But I do think a lot of them are better at DL! For the ones you didn't get to ride, I will say:
-Little Mermaid is definitely the same but does have the better queue and facade at WDW
-Tower of Terror (in my opinion) is hands down better at WDW
-Peter Pan- maybe I was too tired when riding it at DL but feel it is pretty similar to WDW so the winner can go eithe way

I think it's true you are not in the bubble the way you are at WDW. But at the same time, I also didn't mind that. It was exciting leaving your hotel and walking under the Disneyland sign and hearing the loop music start to play. I feel like it made me appreciate heading to into the park more, if that makes sense. It was funny to see CMs walking freely in their costumes though!

Thank you so much for sharing! I really enjoyed hearing about your first DL trip! Only a few more months until your back at the World now!

I think all trips have hiccups it's just the way it is, especially with kids...
Absolutely! And it definitely didn't prevent us from having a great time!

Just finished reading your closing thoughts and wanted to say thank you for the insight! I really enjoyed the TR overall and your final thoughts and comparisons are very interesting!

Thank you so much! Thanks for contributing throughout!

Have you gone to Tokyo Disney yet? Will you be able to do a mini-TR on that!? I'm not ready to say good-bye yet to your awesome TRs!

Thanks for your sentiments and glad you enjoyed the TR! It's actually Hong Kong, not Tokyo and I leave on Wednesday with plans to got to Hong Kong Disneyland on Friday. Hope to do a separate mini-report for that!

I'm sad your trip report is over but I can't wait to hear about Hong Kong Disneyland!

I agree with a majority of your DL vs WDW feelings. I like that you were able to appreciate the good and not so good of both resorts. I am obviously a huge fan of both for different reasons.

Thanks for sharing your trip and your great pictures!

I like this description and agree. Of course, walking through the Sleeping Beauty castle exhibit is a nice bonus (though our experience was cut a bit short by a head bump in the dark :sad2:).

I loved the overlay (Hyperspace Mountain for us), as it really added a "story" element vs. the regular version. However, I think I am a bit of an outlier in that I really prefer the actual coaster/track design at WDW - I am a fan of those quick drops and there were almost none at DLR - just a bunch of circles, which I don't love.

I really enjoy them both and would have to ride DLR's more than once to really compare - but I did get to ride it all by myself and that made it memorable - you can sing your heart out to the songs, talk back to the characters, etc. Fun!

I do like that they have an "attractions" in Sleeping Beauty Castle. I know they have the stained glass and a few other elements to Cinderella's story at WDW, but maybe add a bit more to it. Sorry to hear about Izzy bumping her head - or at least I assume it was Izzy though could have been someone else who bumped their head.

I agree with you about the dips at WDW - I think the smoothness and the overlay outdid that element for me, but can totally understand why you would like the WDW better

Guess I will read about it in the eventual TR, but when you say you rode Splash "by yourself" you mean there was no one else in the boat at all? that is pretty cool!

Totally agree. I think I could have literally ridden that all day. But I think I only went on like 4 times. :rotfl: This has always been one of my WDW favorites, but the new effects at DLR made it even better.

I agree and, much like Splash, I also got a solo ride here, which was pretty amazing. pirate:

We really enjoyed the character spotting on the inside. Though, I didn't find the outdoor loading to be an advantage because it also meant an outdoor queue and it felt like we were melting in the direct sun forever while waiting. :sunny:

4 times is pretty good - we only got on BTMRR twice ... it is really a good ride and the explosions really add to it. I understand they are bringing that to the WDW version at some point which will be great!

That is true about the outside queues, especially the one at IASW as far as the sun/heat ... I love the facade though and the idea of getting in the boat outside and going into it

Our experience is probably a little skewed - we only went on the DLR one once, but we were probably on it for nearly half an hour, due to three separate breakdowns (one particularly long). I think the queue was just a queue, from my memory (of having skipped most of it to jump in with Dug and Izzy).

One of my favorite DLR memories from going about 10 years ago was seeing the fireworks from Astro Orbiters. And I don't really care for the ride in general at either park, so that memory keeps DLR's as my "favorite."

Yeah, very lacking without the forward movement. But I still enjoyed it. What surprised me (only because I hadn't thought about it beforehand) was how DIFFERENT the view is when you are up high and the doors open! You see landscape and stuff - not just trees and WDW bubble-ness, but mountains! It was pretty cool.

Having spent 40 minutes in the DLR queue, I can tell you there is nothing of interest there - just switchbacks. The ride, however, had some recent updates/refreshes and was really sparkly and vibrant. If the line was ever less than 40 minutes, I would've liked to go again.[/quote]

Memories definitely can impact an opinion and that sounds pretty magical to be spinging around and watching the fireworks.

Good point about the view on ToT - we just didn't have time to get on that ride but that does sound like a unique aspect to it

Glad to hear you enjoyed Peter Pan ... just one of those things we didn't have the time to wait for something that they "have" at WDW - but I've heard from others that there are some different scenes or just things are done a bit better with the DLR version.

Yeah, we saw some of this too - but only for a very limited time. Staying across the street at BWPPI felt very bubble-like. It was really only the few minutes at the crosswalk that made you feel out of the bubble and then you crossed the street and the music was playing and it transported you right in.

A big plus for me was that you could easily walk between the parks, hotels, and Downtown Disney without all those annoying waits for buses. (Though I did miss riding boats). Not having any time on the road felt bubble-like to me.

I would agree with you on this, HOWEVER, I have to admit that I uttered something early on in our trip that will likely end up being the title of my TR, "I think I might be a Disneyland person!" I really, really enjoyed the trip - to the point that I would even consider going to DLR again before WDW. But, in my heart, I am definitely a WDW person - I mean, there is no Epcot at DLR! But I was surprised at how "at home" I felt on a first more-than-1-day visit. I can see us going back if Dug's company keeps their annual retreat in the area.

Thanks for sharing your views and your TR! As always, I've loved reading along! :goodvibes

Fully agree about the plus of it all being right there - and what I meant about it feeling like one big park

I don't think I ever thought "I think I might be a Disneyland Person" and I have to say part of me went into the trip hoping I would say that ... that I would enjoy it so much that I would prefer it to WDW, but it just never got there for us. And combined with how much longer and more expensive the flights are for us to CA and that there aren't really any of our timeshare locations near the park, plus the fact we have family in Florida, it is just much more convenient for us to do WDW than DLR ... but I definitely want to go back at some point, but I am guess that won't be before they open up Star Wars land :D

Thanks for reading along and contributing and for all of your thoughts here in this post! Can't wait to read about your adventures!

I agree that while DL is smaller, it never felt that way while I was actually there.

Regarding CMs, I also felt they are much nicer at WDW. Maybe, like you, I've just been lucky in that aspect! I did encounter some not so enthusiastic CMs at Disneyland that did make me a little sad. But at the same time, we encountered some that went above and beyond! So I guess it just depends on who you come across.

Agree- lots more food options at DL!

I agree that I loved Space, HM (probably only because of the overlay), BTMRR and Small World better at Disneyland!

There were a couple of rides I didn't get to ride at DL that WDW has. But I do think a lot of them are better at DL! For the ones you didn't get to ride, I will say:
-Little Mermaid is definitely the same but does have the better queue and facade at WDW
-Tower of Terror (in my opinion) is hands down better at WDW
-Peter Pan- maybe I was too tired when riding it at DL but feel it is pretty similar to WDW so the winner can go eithe way

I think it's true you are not in the bubble the way you are at WDW. But at the same time, I also didn't mind that. It was exciting leaving your hotel and walking under the Disneyland sign and hearing the loop music start to play. I feel like it made me appreciate heading to into the park more, if that makes sense. It was funny to see CMs walking freely in their costumes though!

Thank you so much for sharing! I really enjoyed hearing about your first DL trip! Only a few more months until your back at the World now!

I guess part of me is glad that I am not the only one who has a positive view of the CMs at WDW :rotfl2: ... maybe I've just heard too many rants from Pete on the Unplugged Podcast about negative experiences with WDW CMs and this almost fantasy view of the CMs at DLR that I had very high (too high) expectations

That is a very good point about the excitement of seeing the monorail go by and hearing the sounds and music being played and walking under the arch. It's very different but also still really great and in some ways you feel the excitement build more than if you hop on a resort bus or something while at WDW to start your day

Thank you so much! Definitely is getting closer for the next WDW trip ... now if they would just finish up with ROL and open up the booking for dining packages I would feel much better about that trip!

I'm sad your trip report is over but I can't wait to hear about Hong Kong Disneyland!

I agree with a majority of your DL vs WDW feelings. I like that you were able to appreciate the good and not so good of both resorts. I am obviously a huge fan of both for different reasons.

Thanks for sharing your trip and your great pictures!

Thank you so much for following along and I will definitely have a (mini) report for Hong Kong Disneyland!

As much as I love Disney - I also know it isn't perfect so tried to be fair. I hope I did get across how great of time we did have though and especially some of the unique aspects to the park!

Hi Phil,

I missed one of the last updates and stopped receiving alerts for your TR. I'm bummed to realize that I've missed out a bit. But super happy to have something fun to read over my lunch break. :cool1:

I love the premise of your TR, "And now for something completely different". Which is something that we can relate to as, we did about 10 or so trips to WDW before our first visit to DL and came to it with similar perspectives. With respect to your final comments about being a "WDW family", after 3 visits to DL and about 15 to WDW, we tend consider ourselves a WDW family too. When at DL and comparing stuff to WDW, we find ourselves using the words "back home" when referring to WDW. I guess that pretty much sums it up for us. DL is truly an awesome place to visit, but WDW will always feel like home.

The other general comment that I have is, and I'm sure it's been said on this TR before, but I feel like DL is more of an adults and big kids resort. Seems a little easier to navigate with older kids than with babies/preschoolers. And I also feel like the vibes at DL are a little more mature and laid back…. Possibly because there aren't so many families who traveled hundreds/thousands of miles for a week-long vacation. Instead, it's more locals who are more care free, and seem to just go with the flow. Vs. families who are like, "I'm using valuable vacation time and I spent thousands of dollars to get you kids here to WDW. We gotta go commando to get our money's worth, and you kids better have fun whether you like it or not!!!!" I'm sure it happens at DL, but in my experience there just seems to be less cranky kids and stressed out parents at DL than WDW. :hippie:

I don't think I got to take in all the details and just soak in the "feels" like I was hoping to. I really think the heat and the crowds took away for me as we had to rush a bit more or line up earlier than I would have liked to get in what we did and didn't have enough enough down time or time to just wander.

Stephanie and I did a parents only trip to DL in 2010. It was awesome because #1 we had 5 day park hoppers and we didn't need to rush as much to take it all in. #2 I love my kids, but it was fun to take as much time exploring the history/nostalgia as we wanted to. #3. We did the "Walking in Walt's Footsteps Tour" which amplified #2 significantly.

Here's to hoping that someday soon, you'll get another chance to visit DL when it's less crowded and when you have more time to soak it all in. Cheers!
smileys-cheers-788801.gif

Perception: Disneyland is so much smaller than Walt Disney World.

Reality: Technically true but it doesn't feel super tiny when you are inside it, other than the pathways

I agreed about it not feeling tiny or anything when inside the resort. I do think it feels a bit more cramped at times, but in some ways, I look that as more magic per square foot. pixiedust:

Perception: The Cast Members at Disneyland are much nicer and more in touch with the legacy of their Florida counterparts

Reality: For us this was definitely not the case - there are great cast members everywhere and many who love Disney and work at Walt Disney World. You do get to meet more at Disneyland who have been working there for quite a while thought which is neat.

I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but to be honest, I've never really met a rude cast member before. Regardless, I share your perspectives about there being great cast members at both locations.

We've had one amazing cast member experience at the Halloween Party in DL where we were buying trading pins in one of the shops. He was super friendly, outgoing, and beyond helpful. It left an impression enough that we made sure to note his name, the time, and the store name, and we wrote up a nice summary email to guest relations when we got home.

That being said, we've had LOTS more at WDW through the years… here are a couple examples that I shared on the current "Your best cast member experience" thread over on the "Theme Parks Attractions and Strategy" board.

Making friends with an amazing CM that we've stayed in touch with for over 10 years:
http://disboards.com/threads/your-best-cast-member-experience.3499659/#post-55514713

Receiving a legit "Table Service" meal at Columbia Harbor House:
http://disboards.com/threads/your-best-cast-member-experience.3499659/#post-55521124

Having a conversation with a lone Mickey Mouse via crayons and a kids menu at Garden Grill:
http://disboards.com/threads/your-best-cast-member-experience.3499659/#post-55521270

Sophie making friends with Snow White at Cindy's when she was 3:
http://disboards.com/threads/your-best-cast-member-experience.3499659/page-2#post-55521367

Those are just a few of my favorites. Would love to hear some of yours (and other people's too!) :goodvibes

Perception: The food is much better at Disneyland, particularly the quick service options

Reality: yup!

I have to agree with you on this one too. Especially if remove EPCOT from the equation. (Otherwise, personally, many of my favorite Disney restaurants are in EPCOT.)

Perception: For the rides that are in both location, the Disneyland version is better

Reality: Hard to argue but the rides are either rather close or much better at Disneyland

I like your summary of ride comparisons. For the most part, I came out with similar conclusions about DL versions being generally better, but I might rank a few WDW versions ever so slightly higher than you did.

A few thoughts…

Space Mountain: I agree about the smoothness, I like that you ride side by side, and I love having the music piped in behind your ears. I know that since you did the overlay, you didn't get the normal music, but I have the DL Space Mtn. music on my phone and find myself listening to it when I drive my car. Haha!

Splash Mountain: I can't really elaborate why, but I feel like I prefer the WDW one. Maybe the side by side seats again? Maybe because it seems like you are up higher? Not sure…

Buzz: Ditto

Autopia: Also no contest. In a major way. I'd even go as far as saying that the version in WDW is one of my least favorite rides and the DL version is one of my favorites :-)

Pirates: You said it!

Soarin: Also agreed. And it's much more accessible, especially with strollers. (The WDW version is quite a hike from the place you leave a stroller to the point where you board the ride.) And the new theming at DL is great too!

Small World: I also agree on this, especially with the loading outdoors part. But I do think the WDW version is cool that it seems like you are more in a river than a blue trough.

Your comments about Mermaid, Orbiters, ToT, and Pan seem spot on too.

Also while we are comparing, I like the WDW version of the Pooh ride better. Especially after the interactive queue upgrades. The DL version seems like an afterthought tucked in the back corner of the park.

And Toy Story Midway Mania, seems like the same ride once you are on, but I'd probably give it to WDW… because the queue is a bit more interesting with all the giant games/toys, Candyland path on the floor, etc.

Perception: You don't get the same sense of being "in the Disney Bubble" at Disneyland compared to Walt Disney World

Reality: I think it is a fair statement to say you don't get that sense of really being enclosed in a place separate from the real work like you get at Walt Disney World - but the difference wasn't as significant as I expected (or feared) ... and getting to turn the corner and see the light on in Walt's apartment makes up for a lot of things.

I think part of this perception stems from so many more people staying off property at DL when compared to WDW. When we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, we never really felt like we left the bubble (when compared to staying at Candy Cane Inn and HOJO.) But even when we stayed off property, like you, we didn't find the difference as significant as expected either.

And I think with that we will bring this Trip Report to a close ... thank you all so much for hanging with me and contributing. Going to Disneyland really was an experience, one we won't forget and one we would love to do again. Though, if I reflect I think I have to say that we really are a Walt Disney World Family.

Thanks again for pouring so much into this TR!!! It's been a great one, and lots of fun to follow along with. Truly looking forward to hearing about your next adventures. In the meantime, Stephanie and I spent a good portion of our weekend planning our next visits. And reading up on Trader Sam's Grog Grotto as I aim to expand my Tiki Mug collection next month! :-)

Last edited:

Hi Phil,

I missed one of the last updates and stopped receiving alerts for your TR. I'm bummed to realize that I've missed out a bit. But super happy to have something fun to read over my lunch break. :cool1:

I love the premise of your TR, "And now for something completely different". Which is something that we can relate to as, we did about 10 or so trips to WDW before our first visit to DL and came to it with similar perspectives. With respect to your final comments about being a "WDW family", after 3 visits to DL and about 15 to WDW, we tend consider ourselves a WDW family too. When at DL and comparing stuff to WDW, we find ourselves using the words "back home" when referring to WDW. I guess that pretty much sums it up for us. DL is truly an awesome place to visit, but WDW will always feel like home.

The other general comment that I have is, and I'm sure it's been said on this TR before, but I feel like DL is more of an adults and big kids resort. Seems a little easier to navigate with older kids than with babies/preschoolers. And I also feel like the vibes at DL are a little more mature and laid back…. Possibly because there aren't so many families who traveled hundreds/thousands of miles for a week-long vacation. Instead, it's more locals who are more care free, and seem to just go with the flow. Vs. families who are like, "I'm using valuable vacation time and I spent thousands of dollars to get you kids here to WDW. We gotta go commando to get our money's worth, and you kids better have fun whether you like it or not!!!!" I'm sure it happens at DL, but in my experience there just seems to be less cranky kids and stressed out parents at DL than WDW. :hippie:

Stephanie and I did a parents only trip to DL in 2010. It was awesome because #1 we had 5 day park hoppers and we didn't need to rush as much to take it all in. #2 I love my kids, but it was fun to take as much time exploring the history/nostalgia as we wanted to. #3. We did the "Walking in Walt's Footsteps Tour" which amplified #2 significantly.

Here's to hoping that someday soon, you'll get another chance to visit DL when it's less crowded and when you have more time to soak it all in. Cheers!
smileys-cheers-788801.gif

Sorry that you weren't getting the updates (I've heard tales of the "new" site being inconsistent with the updates) ... guess there is some fun in binge-reading though!

I think we feel pretty similar to the two parks. That combined with how much longer and more expensive it is for us to get to CA vs FL, while I think we will get to Disneyland again it will be a place to "visit" every so often, and less often that Walt Disney World.

I definitely get what you are saying about being not as much for little kids ... I think I mentioned it when talking about DCA but at that park it really stood out to me how there were "big kid/adult rides" and then "little kid rides" (Bug's Land, etc.) ... whereas what I always loved about Walt Disney World (and Walt's original vision) was how much the entire family can do together.

I'd love to do an adults trip at some point. Judi and I debated doing the ABD trip they had that combined the backstage magic trip at DLR with the San Francisco trip, but at the time Emma was just to small to leave her. If they ever do that again I could see us doing it.

I agreed about it not feeling tiny or anything when inside the resort. I do think it feels a bit more cramped at times, but in some ways, I look that as more magic per square foot. pixiedust:

I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but to be honest, I've never really met a rude cast member before. Regardless, I share your perspectives about there being great cast members at both locations.

We've had one amazing cast member experience at the Halloween Party in DL where we were buying trading pins in one of the shops. He was super friendly, outgoing, and beyond helpful. It left an impression enough that we made sure to note his name, the time, and the store name, and we wrote up a nice summary email to guest relations when we got home.

That being said, we've had LOTS more at WDW through the years… here are a couple examples that I shared on the current "Your best cast member experience" thread over on the "Theme Parks Attractions and Strategy" board.

Making friends with an amazing CM that we've stayed in touch with for over 10 years:
http://disboards.com/threads/your-best-cast-member-experience.3499659/#post-55514713

Receiving a legit "Table Service" meal at Columbia Harbor House:
http://disboards.com/threads/your-best-cast-member-experience.3499659/#post-55521124

Having a conversation with a lone Mickey Mouse via crayons and a kids menu at Garden Grill:
http://disboards.com/threads/your-best-cast-member-experience.3499659/#post-55521270

Sophie making friends with Snow White at Cindy's when she was 3:
http://disboards.com/threads/your-best-cast-member-experience.3499659/page-2#post-55521367

Those are just a few of my favorites. Would love to hear some of yours (and other people's too!) :goodvibes

I have to agree with you on this one too. Especially if remove EPCOT from the equation. (Otherwise, personally, many of my favorite Disney restaurants are in EPCOT.)

I like your summary of ride comparisons. For the most part, I came out with similar conclusions about DL versions being generally better, but I might rank a few WDW versions ever so slightly higher than you did.

A few thoughts…

Space Mountain: I agree about the smoothness, I like that you ride side by side, and I love having the music piped in behind your ears. I know that since you did the overlay, you didn't get the normal music, but I have the DL Space Mtn. music on my phone and find myself listening to it when I drive my car. Haha!

Splash Mountain: I can't really elaborate why, but I feel like I prefer the WDW one. Maybe the side by side seats again? Maybe because it seems like you are up higher? Not sure…

Buzz: Ditto

Autopia: Also no contest. In a major way. I'd even go as far as saying that the version in WDW is one of my least favorite rides and the DL version is one of my favorites :-)

Pirates: You said it!

Soarin: Also agreed. And it's much more accessible, especially with strollers. (The WDW version is quite a hike from the place you leave a stroller to the point where you board the ride.) And the new theming at DL is great too!

Small World: I also agree on this, especially with the loading outdoors part. But I do think the WDW version is cool that it seems like you are more in a river than a blue trough.

Your comments about Mermaid, Orbiters, ToT, and Pan seem spot on too.

Also while we are comparing, I like the WDW version of the Pooh ride better. Especially after the interactive queue upgrades. The DL version seems like an afterthought tucked in the back corner of the park.

And Toy Story Midway Mania, seems like the same ride once you are on, but I'd probably give it to WDW… because the queue is a bit more interesting with all the giant games/toys, Candyland path on the floor, etc.

I think part of this perception stems from so many more people staying off property at DL when compared to WDW. When we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, we never really felt like we left the bubble (when compared to staying at Candy Cane Inn and HOJO.) But even when we stayed off property, like you, we didn't find the difference as significant as expected either.

Thanks again for pouring so much into this TR!!! It's been a great one, and lots of fun to follow along with. Truly looking forward to hearing about your next adventures. In the meantime, Stephanie and I spent a good portion of our weekend planning our next visits. And reading up on Trader Sam's Grog Grotto as I aim to expand my Tiki Mug collection next month! :-)

Thanks for all your feedback! Glad to hear you have had so many great CM interactions, especially at WDW! I loved reading that story about the Mickey at Garden Grill having a conversation with your son about trains! Like you said, when they get some special attention (doesn't have to be anything huge, but something unique, specific, and genuine) it makes such a big impression on kids!

And I think the fact that WDW has EPCOT is one of the reasons it will be hard for another park to win my heart as I just love that park in general.

Looking back on the rides, I think the one that maybe I have a distorted view on is Splash Mountain. For some reason I just really loved my experience on it during our trip and I loved how they had so many animatronics just crammed in there and that everything was working perfectly. I know the one in WDW is definitely bigger, but for some reason the DLR one was better for me.

Glad you enjoyed the trip report! Hope you have a great next trip! Planning really is half (well, maybe not half, but a good chunk) of the fun!

You know... I read through that last post and every point you made I was sitting here like this ::yes:: as I read all the way through. I think we all (WDW veterans) go into DL with these same pre-conceived notions, and I really have to agree with your assessments on the reality of all of them. I'm sure that some, such as CM interactions will vary for anyone depending on their personal experience, but I think you did a great job of putting your personal experience into it and putting things into perspective.

And really, that gif of Walt's apartment at the end was pretty much a drop the mic and walk off the stage statement. While WDW is "my park" and will always be special to me for a number of reasons it can never match this one element of DL, no matter what.

Just got caught up on your DL vs WDW post - really great post and I'm so glad how positive overall you felt about DL. Really nicely done :goodvibes

Pixar Play Parade @ California Adventure: This was not a priority for us, but I managed to see at least parts of it twice. It's actually a pretty fun parade and Countdown to Fun is just a catch song. Definitely not a "must see" but there are some fun elements (I mean, fire out of a baby's head?!?!?)

DS knows and loves this song and we've only seen this parade once by accident!

Fantasmic!: So we made the call that this was the show we would miss - but we did get to see a bit of it by accident. The dragon here really is so much better compared to the WDW one. Of the evening shows I think we made the right call to miss this one - but it still is a great show.

I'm really in the minority when I say, you didn't miss anything. I'm just not a DLR F! fan. Unless you get priority seating for this show and have a great unobstructed view, it's just not worth it. DH and I are not tall people so for us to be able to see is pretty important :lmao:which is why we really love the stadium seating at WDW and not having to strain to see anything.

• Paint the Night: What can I say, we love this so much! Just a technical marvel and so much fun. Honestly, if I could only pick one it would be this over World of Color. We did get a bit lucky in finding our spot to watch this but if we had more time I definitely wouldn't hesitate to stake out a spot for up to an hour to see this or think about the dining package for it - really is that good

Agh! I really, really need to see this! I still have the spot you guys grabbed in my brain for future reference :thumbsup2

It is also weird in that I felt completely satisfied with our trip but then disappointed at the same time. What I mean by that is I felt we got in basically everything we wanted to to as far as rides and meals and characters and shows, but at the same time I don't think I got to take in all the details and just soak in the "feels" like I was hoping to. I really think the heat and the crowds took away for me as we had to rush a bit more or line up earlier than I would have liked to get in what we did and didn't have enough enough down time or time to just wander.

I totally understand this! On March 10, we went for the day and oh my gosh! I was so tempted to do a TR on that one day, there was absolutely no one there, I hadn't seen it like this in years! :faint::eek: Especially at DCA. The first four rides, before we exited the ride, a CM would say, "You want to go again?" :faint: I feel like this is the time you guys need to come again. The weather was mild, it was right before Easter break started up so hotels were cheap and crowds were non-existent (until night time that is, that's just a given)

The other thing is that Sleeping Beauty Castle is significantly smaller than Cinderella Castle and this does change the feel of the park. I have definitely been asked which castle do I like better and I must say that I cop out a bit and say that I think they serve different purposes. Cinderella Castle is the centerpiece, not just of the Magic Kingdom but of the entire Florida Project - it was meant to be seen beyond the park and draw you in from the TTC and build anticipation as you travel around on the monorail. To me, Sleeping Beauty Castle doesn't do that - it is more the entrance to Fantasyland - something that appears to be off in the distance down Main St. and just changes the tone when you move from the "world of yesterday" to the "world of Fantasy" - and it serves that purpose well. Though, if push comes to shove, I definitely have to choose Cindy's Castle. It's just that much more impressive, you can eat in it, there is a Dream Suite in it, the Bibby Bobbity Boutique ... it's just much more of a destination.

Best description ever.:worship:

(yeah, it was sunny, but it was rained out ... don't get me started))

:rotfl2:

Splash Mountain: The one at Walt Disney World feels a bit more impressive and bigger - also larger boats. This one though has so many more animatronics and they all seemed to be working. It's close, but I go Disneyland
Ok, so pretty much all Disneyland - though, to be fair, if/when everything is working in Splash, I would give it to WDW.

Totally agree with all this! Except I love 'experiencing' Splash with someone sitting right next to me, not behind me or in front of me.

but on the other hand, the bubble bursts a bit when you ride the monorail and see outside the park

And see all the bums and people selling stuff:headache:

And I think with that we will bring this Trip Report to a close ... thank you all so much for hanging with me and contributing. Going to Disneyland really was an experience, one we won't forget and one we would love to do again. Though, if I reflect I think I have to say that we really are a Walt Disney World Family.

I totally loved reading your report and enjoyed meeting you and your family! I just hope that there will be a few more DLR reports in your future ::yes::

Thanks for your sentiments and glad you enjoyed the TR! It's actually Hong Kong, not Tokyo and I leave on Wednesday with plans to got to Hong Kong Disneyland on Friday. Hope to do a separate mini-report
Hope you have a great trip. Can't wait to hear about Hong Kong Disney.

You know... I read through that last post and every point you made I was sitting here like this ::yes:: as I read all the way through. I think we all (WDW veterans) go into DL with these same pre-conceived notions, and I really have to agree with your assessments on the reality of all of them. I'm sure that some, such as CM interactions will vary for anyone depending on their personal experience, but I think you did a great job of putting your personal experience into it and putting things into perspective.

And really, that gif of Walt's apartment at the end was pretty much a drop the mic and walk off the stage statement. While WDW is "my park" and will always be special to me for a number of reasons it can never match this one element of DL, no matter what.

Thank you very much - I tried to be balanced and definitely something like CM experience will vary by visit. Hope it did come across that we had a great time ... just hard to keep expectations low when you know it is the park Walt was on site for, etc. And that is the one element that no other park, ever will have

Just got caught up on your DL vs WDW post - really great post and I'm so glad how positive overall you felt about DL. Really nicely done :goodvibes

Thank you Lauren. Definitely very positive and would love to go back some day - just will allow for more days and try to find a time with lower crowds, but I thought mid-week October wouldn't be so bad :confused3

Thank you for taking the time to make this entertaining and helpful trip report!

You are very welcome! Glad you found it both entertaining and helpful (I think that would be a nice thing to have on my tombstone ;) )

DS knows and loves this song and we've only seen this parade once by accident!

I'm really in the minority when I say, you didn't miss anything. I'm just not a DLR F! fan. Unless you get priority seating for this show and have a great unobstructed view, it's just not worth it. DH and I are not tall people so for us to be able to see is pretty important :lmao:which is why we really love the stadium seating at WDW and not having to strain to see anything.

Agh! I really, really need to see this! I still have the spot you guys grabbed in my brain for future reference :thumbsup2

I totally understand this! On March 10, we went for the day and oh my gosh! I was so tempted to do a TR on that one day, there was absolutely no one there, I hadn't seen it like this in years! :faint::eek: Especially at DCA. The first four rides, before we exited the ride, a CM would say, "You want to go again?" :faint: I feel like this is the time you guys need to come again. The weather was mild, it was right before Easter break started up so hotels were cheap and crowds were non-existent (until night time that is, that's just a given)

it is a pretty catchy song!

In some ways I am thinking it totally worked out perfect that we strolled a long and got a decent view of the dragon but didn't have to deal with the seating/standing issue for the entire show. As great as WoC was that viewing situation is a nightmare - give me a stadium at WDW any day!

So I guess I shouldn't mention I just got back from Hong Kong Disneyland and saw Paint the Night there as well, huh? :rolleyes1

I definitely would love to come again with lower crowds and more time ... I'll have to keep March in mind for next time!

Best description ever.:worship:

:rotfl2:

Totally agree with all this! Except I love 'experiencing' Splash with someone sitting right next to me, not behind me or in front of me.

Thanks - glad that what I was trying to say in comparing the Castles made sense

I think if everything is working that Splash at WDW is overall better ... I just really enjoyed/appreciated how much animatronics were going on at the DLR version

And see all the bums and people selling stuff:headache:

I totally loved reading your report and enjoyed meeting you and your family! I just hope that there will be a few more DLR reports in your future ::yes::

Thank you so much and it was so great to meet you and your family. In all sincerity, meeting you and Brenda definitely increased the view of this trip by at least a full peg!

Hope you have a great trip. Can't wait to hear about Hong Kong Disney.

Thank you! I am going to post here a real quick recap of Hong Kong Disney - but hope to do a more complete TR in the future

Chapter 54 - Bonus Mini Hong Kong Disneyland Review

So I hope to do a full trip report in the Hong Kong Disneyland forum, but thought I would post some quick thoughts here as I just got back!

Overall, it was a really fun day. It is so easy to get to the park and the last leg of the train ride the train is all Disney-fied (Mickey-head shaped windows, etc.) - also pretty cheap (the 1 day ticket was ~$65 USD). Food was good to (if you like Asian and Indian - high quality and also rather affordable)

01Me in front of Castle.jpg

The park is very small. There were a few rides down for maintance/conversion and one show we wanted to see they didn't run the last two shows for the day that were listed in the times guide - so if everything was up it would be tough to get everything in, but by the end we were scrambling to find things to do to fill time.

So not a lot of attractions, but what they have is pretty darn great. Mystic Manor totally lives up to the hype and is such a great ride and just so well done. It would be amazing to bring that type of technology and really upgrade Journey Into Imagination

03Me in front of Mystic Manor.jpg

Didn't do a ton of meet and greets, but did meet Mickey and Baymax (who I hadn't met before):
02Me with Baymax.jpg

The Lion King show was staged a bit differently and very well done. Their Space Mountain is probably my favorite comparing to WDW or DLRs - very smooth and has some projections going on and some actually physical meteorites and has much playing in your car behind your head. Really cool! Also, their Autopia is pretty cool! It used electric cars and has a speaker behind your head playing little noisy as you accelerate, etc. and you go under tunnels with colored lights, etc - definitely seem the most modern/futuristic version I have every ridden.

04Lion King.jpg

07Space Mountain.jpg

Toy Story land was cute and the rides there were pretty good - I have higher hopes for what will come to Florida though. Not a lot of rides in Fantasyland (so like the opposite of Disneyland in California) and other than some meet and greet spots, nothing really unique.

The Jungle Cruise was interesting as they have this really cool closing scene with fire and smoke, etc. - but despite being on a boat for English Speakers, the Skipper didn't speak great English and only did like 2 puns (otherwise was telling people to sit down). They have even more Disney characters in their It's a Small World and it felt like I heard more different beats/tunes to tie to those characters. I think I actually liked it better than the other versions. Cool facade too.

06Jungle book in IASW.jpg

It wound up raining in the afternoon so they cancelled the regular parade and put on the Rainy Day Express which has all the characters in a train ... I thought it was cute that many of them had rain coats on:
05Rainy day parade.jpg

We camped out a bit so to get a good view of Paint the Night. We planned to take turns getting food while waiting and one thing I realized is there weren't many food places to get food to go - even the casual "burger" type places served the food on real plates. So that was a little bit of a struggle. They had Paint the Night first and it is still great, but you can tell they upgraded it a bit when they brought it to Disneyland (they added the Peter Pan and Frozen Floats). The Fireworks and project show were really great - lots of references to classic Disney movies and it just looks cool with the fireworks over the Castle and the mountain in the background.

08Pain the Night.jpg 09Fireworks.jpg

Overall, it is a really fun park with really good versions of a lot of rides ... It's almost like listening to a "greatest hits" album rather than having all the albums of a band. It was also rather empty (which I understand is the case other than some weekends /holidays). Randomly Autopia and Dumbo had lengthy waits (~45mins) but everything else, even Space and Mystic Manor were 5-10mins. Some of the character meets had long lines.

I definitely don't think it is worth a trip from the US just to go to this park but if you are ever in the area or as part of a larger trip to go to all the Asian Disney parks it is definitely worth a stop! And, never bad to get in some extra Disney. I went with a co-worker who is not a Disney person and she commented that she had a really fun time so I think that is a good testiment.

As mentioned, I hope to do a more complete TR later, but wanted to share some initial thoughts since I know some of you were interested.

Let me know of any other specific questions you may have.

TTFN

What an adventure! I recently started watching some Youtube videos of Hong Kong Disneyland. I kind of forget about this park, I think Asia = Tokyo Disneyland! I watched a POV for Mystic Manor, and WOW! I first didn't want to watch it and spoil any surprises, but then I though, by the time I ever end up in Hong Kong, surely I will have forgotten it all by then!!

If you took any pics of any menus, I would be interested in seeing those! popcorn::

Hong Kong Disney! I think i would like to go to all the Disney parks at sometime!

So cool that you go to check it out, looks like a fund little park!

I COMPLETELY forgot you were going to HK- I'm so sorry! I hope the trip as a whole went well!

Love the photo of you outside Mystic Manor. I'm glad it was great as people say.

Baymax! Awesome!

Would love to see more IASW pics- the Jungle Book characters look adorable in there.

I'm sure it was interesting to see PTN here after seeing it in Disneyland!

I'm glad it was a successful day trip with low crowds and mostly low waits! I'm sure it's cool to cross another Disney park off the list! Can't wait to read the full TR :)

I'm not sure how I missed the whole end of your TR! Very cool that you got to go to Hong Kong Disneyland - I'd love to read the full version of your day there. Now to go back and catch up on all the DL posts I missed here...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!