TR - A Gregarious Ghostly Gallivant - Final Thoughts Finally Posted!

Going thru my subscriptions and see u never came back with your final thoughts

where you at?
popcorn::

Going thru my subscriptions and see u never came back with your final thoughts

where you at?
popcorn::

True enough - you caught me! I hit the end of spring term at work and every day/week/month seemed to get busier and busier. I basically completely dropped off the social networking map for 6 months. At this point I still have a lot going on but at least I can breathe.

Now onto the big question ...do I remember enough about a trip I took 14 months ago to give good final thoughts? Well, I'll give it a whirl!!!!

True enough - you caught me! I hit the end of spring term at work and every day/week/month seemed to get busier and busier. I basically completely dropped off the social networking map for 6 months. At this point I still have a lot going on but at least I can breathe.

Now onto the big question ...do I remember enough about a trip I took 14 months ago to give good final thoughts? Well, I'll give it a whirl!!!!

:cool1: Welcome Back!!!! :banana:

Hi there Mike!!

Hey Laurie, good to see you and thank you for the warm welcome :goodvibes

Hiya Michele! How ya doin? :) :) :)

Hi Nicole! Good to see you too! :goodvibes :) :goodvibes

I'm 3 paragraphs into my final thoughts so y'all hang in there :thumbsup2

I am good. How are you, Roxy, and the kids?

I am good. How are you, Roxy, and the kids?

They are doing good in general. Kyra is still struggling with the transition into High School and was out sick quite a bit so is still playing catch-up. Unfortunately she was taking her frustrations out on her teachers despite them trying to help her. We've talked to her and are hoping things are better.

Bean is her same energetic self. She's doing an after school acting program and is still taking horse riding lessons of and on.

Roxy is busy but is rolling with it. Works is hectic, home is hectic, we just keep on truckin' and hope for more smiles than frowns each day.

They are doing good in general. Kyra is still struggling with the transition into High School and was out sick quite a bit so is still playing catch-up. Unfortunately she was taking her frustrations out on her teachers despite them trying to help her. We've talked to her and are hoping things are better.

Bean is her same energetic self. She's doing an after school acting program and is still taking horse riding lessons of and on.

Roxy is busy but is rolling with it. Works is hectic, home is hectic, we just keep on truckin' and hope for more smiles than frowns each day.

When we had all the problems with Kody being so sick I wasn't sure she would ever catch back. It can be so frustrating for them. I feel sorry for Kyra.

Bean has a good spirit doesn't she? And I bet she loves the acting program.

I am glad to hear that Roxy is doing well. Sometimes I think it is better to be busy and keep your mind going.

I figure that the most I can hope for is to be healthy and happy.

When we had all the problems with Kody being so sick I wasn't sure she would ever catch back. It can be so frustrating for them. I feel sorry for Kyra.

Bean has a good spirit doesn't she? And I bet she loves the acting program.

I am glad to hear that Roxy is doing well. Sometimes I think it is better to be busy and keep your mind going.

I figure that the most I can hope for is to be healthy and happy.

Yes, a healthy and happy family is all any of us can ask for. And both girls were able to get caught up at school and can have a relaxing Christmas break.

Now to finally post those final thoughts!

I sit here with rusty mental gears turning. Almost 14 months since returning from the land where Jack Skellington hosted dreamlike showers of light and sound. Where evil characters arched eyebrows at screaming (and giggling) children. Where in the course of a week we battled both parents being beset by an evil flu bug sent by Oogie Boogie himself. Where adventures were had and yours truly lived the life of a pirate on the streets of California Adventure.

I look back on those five days …at once a very full 5 days and yet gone in a flash. I easily fall into the same space that many of us seem to, the awakening of past Disney dreams and the hope of more dreams to come. It is amazing how much a place, a seemingly simple place phrased by some as merely an “amusement park” can have such a hold on my mind and my heart. It has good rides, it has good food, and it has good people. All this is true. But more than that it has a feeling, a feeling of promise, of hope, and a feeling of home in a way you never thought you could define “home”.

Already fading is the fact that I started the trip with that bad flu bug that was going around at the time and that we had to do an emergency landing in SAC due to some guy passing out on the plane. Still clear is the ME bus rolling up with the castle and the familiar Disneyland lettering spelled out on the side.

Getting there was a quick blur and check-in was a breeze. The room and its spectacular view was pretty fantastic and I remember not caring that I was sick. Going into the park made me realize how very cool it was to finally be in a Disney park during a holiday season. The decorations were very cool and the air just seemed to carry a little extra magic. There was a bit of sadness that the trains were only operational that day, but riding around the park one and a half times helped ease that pain ;-]

The NBC theming on the Haunted Mansion was stellar and Roxy getting to meet one of her “Cake Heroes” (Reva and Mike from Merci Beaucoup Cakes who are on one of those wedding cake shows) was a nice bonus at PoTC. I remember how cool it was to finally take in the Tiki Room again even though my body’s batteries were almost completely drained by the flu bug. The rest of the evening was just a blur, no real memories – just the pictures to look back on to see where we went. Disney at night was truly a dreamland for me that first night.

I slept through the entire second day so I can only say that the rest of the fam had a great time at CA. The third day I was back on my feet and off to early entry to Toontown with the kids. It was great seeing all of the classic characters in their “natural habitat”. The day had some rain and I had to go pick up our Vons order, but it ended with a bang at Goofy’s Kitchen. Comparing it to the only other character meal we’ve ever done, CRT at MK at WDW, I’d say we didn’t see quite as many characters but it was a much more fun and interactive experience.

Day 4 I was feeling even better but the bug had fully transferred to Roxy, who took her turn sleeping through the day. The kids and I had a blast hitting every Fantasyland ride followed by another go at the NBC HM, Splash, and IJ. Then I finally got my crack at CA, waiting through the LOOONNNGGG line for TSM. Lots of fun, but it could sooooo use a FP line!

Good rides there lead up to going back to DLH for our presto-change-o into our costumes for Mickey’s Trick or Treat Party! That was such a great time, just having fun and interacting with the other costumed guests. And I was so happy that Roxy was able to come down and join us despite still feeling under the weather. I would love nothing more than to be able to go to Mickey’s party every year, it was such a fun experience. And I must admit I loved walking around and seeing the reactions of the younger kids when they saw us striding along in our pirate gear :-D

Day 5 dawned early for me. Everyone else slept while I quietly headed down and had my own magic morning of taking pictures of everything and just absorbing all the little details that we never seemed to have time for before. One day Roxy and I will come down for a few days by ourselves and the plan is that I’ll have every morning to explore and then we’ll meet for lunch and enjoy the parks together for the afternoon/evening. Some day……

The rest of the day had a mix of kids coming in and out and ended with us FINALLY taking in the Halloween fireworks. It is such an amazing show, we kicked ourselves for not seeing it more while we were there. But that is the way of it isn’t it? No matter how much time you have, how much you see, there is always more that could have been. But it fuels us to go back doesn’t it? We slept hard that night and spent the morning packing and all too soon we were back on the ME bus to LAX. The trip back took palce at light speed and we were home and unpacking.

I look now at the Mickey Band Director bobble head on my desk and smile about all of these fragmented memories. The ones that stick out the most are the smiles and echoes of laughter from the girls. The rest is colors and textures and thoughts of that happy place. A place that isn’t quite home and might not be as special if we could go all the time …but a place that holds a piece of me and will always be a home away from home.

I know we will be back as often as we can, and that going around a holiday such as Halloween or Christmas will be on my mind :thumbsup2

Great way to wrap up your trip report. I remember how sick you guys got. I somehow had forgotten about you having to land in Sacramento. Isn't it great to see the faces on the kids in the park? I feel like that myself when I go I feel like I am a little kid, when I look at everything it is like I am seeing it all new again. Hmm, I am ready to go again. The planning is afoot.

Very nice ending.....even if a tad late.....lol!! Your trip was full of great memories but also over-shadowed with the flu, which was a bummer!! Hopefully you'll get in full swing of preparing for another trip to DL......until then.....don't be a stranger!! I've finished my HUGE TR from our summer trip & now starting a PTR for the DIS Divas Girl Trip.....so when you're bored.....feel free to stop by & say hi!!!

Merry Christmas to you & your family.......I hope it's *+*+*Magical*+*+*!! :wizard:

Great way to wrap up your trip report. I remember how sick you guys got. I somehow had forgotten about you having to land in Sacramento. Isn't it great to see the faces on the kids in the park? I feel like that myself when I go I feel like I am a little kid, when I look at everything it is like I am seeing it all new again. Hmm, I am ready to go again. The planning is afoot.

Thank you :-] Yes, I'm all done with being sick at Walt's place, no more of that for me! Yes, seeing the girl's faces light up is so very special. Keep me posted on your trip plans :thumbsup2

Very nice ending.....even if a tad late.....lol!! Your trip was full of great memories but also over-shadowed with the flu, which was a bummer!! Hopefully you'll get in full swing of preparing for another trip to DL......until then.....don't be a stranger!! I've finished my HUGE TR from our summer trip & now starting a PTR for the DIS Divas Girl Trip.....so when you're bored.....feel free to stop by & say hi!!!

Merry Christmas to you & your family.......I hope it's *+*+*Magical*+*+*!! :wizard:

Thank you, and yes - just call me captain procrastination - lol. We don't have firm plans for our next trip, but are hoping that the Disney Wonder does the Alaska Cruise route again in 2012. If they do that we'll be jumping on board!

I'll have to check out your TR and PTR for sure!

Merry Christmas to you and yours too!!!!! :santa:

Merry Christmas Mike.

Oh yeah you know me. Everybody will know when I go.;)

Loved your final thoughts Mike.... even got a little misty eyed. That is what draws us all here ... that like-mindedness of all of us that just get it, ya know? I'm so glad I'm not one of those people who don't get it!

Happy New Year to you and yours! :goodvibes

Loved your final thoughts Mike.... even got a little misty eyed. That is what draws us all here ... that like-mindedness of all of us that just get it, ya know? I'm so glad I'm not one of those people who don't get it!

Happy New Year to you and yours! :goodvibes

Hey Nikki! Don't know how I missed this, only 5 months late in replying :lmao:

Thank you very much and I so agree. Could you imagine how dull life would be if we were the people who didn't get it?

Great trip report!! Thanks for taking the time to share your great photos and wonderful descriptions!!

P.S. You firework pictures were amazing!

Great trip report!! Thanks for taking the time to share your great photos and wonderful descriptions!!

P.S. You firework pictures were amazing!

Thank you very much, I appreciate you taking the time to relive our wonderful WDW family adventure with us! Look at all those DL trips in your siggy - whoohoo! Your second trip there was my first, I think we were even there the same month :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter