Toy Story Land soft opening

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been APs since September and have YET to receive any email communications! I've called several times and they always "put in a ticket" or whatever with the disclaimer that it could be up to 3 weeks before we see anything in our Inbox. It's been a month since I called and still no emails. I've seen where others get AP emails regularly from Disney. I have a feeling that even if one is announced, we'll not know anything about it til it shows up here or on Facebook. We live in North GA, too, so it's a 7-8 hour trip; not exactly a spur of the moment thing.
Follow the toy story land thread on theme parks attractions and strategies. The info will be posted there as soon as it’s out of it does come out.

I know someone who helped out with a soft opening of the park last week. Glowing reviews and some of the best theming in all of Disney World. Said to keep your expectations in check. It's themed more for kids. But enjoyed it very much.

I know someone who helped out with a soft opening of the park last week. Glowing reviews and some of the best theming in all of Disney World. Said to keep your expectations in check. It's themed more for kids. But enjoyed it very much.

To keep your expectations in check and some of the best theming in the world don’t really seem compatible

Cast Members are notoriously positive. They won a lottery to enter and some have even been able to visit the land while being paid. I would look at the fact that Disney isn't doing regular guest softs as partially a way to control the message coming out of previews

I've talked to a few folks that went during cast member previews. The theming is cute, walking area isn't very large. Slinky is really fun. Biggest complaint I heard was about the lack of any shade and no A/C areas (other than the TSMM queue... No stores, no enclosed eating area), Saucers was fun, but not worth a long wait.

Last edited:
I've talked to a few folks that went during cast member previews. The theming is cute, walking area isn't very large. Slinky is really fun. Biggest complain I saw was the lack of any shade and no A/C areas (other than the TSMM queue... No stores, no enclosed eating area), Saucers was fun, but not worth a long wait.

I think the lack of shade is going to be one of the biggest complaints - especially when targeting a younger audience that likely isn't doing well with long lines to begin with (I mean, no one enjoys lines but even worse with the single digit set)

I could see them having to add some coverings to the queues and stuff (even if just like tarps like they put up in Tomorrowland) - I am sure they could think of some way to make it fit the theme - like they are the parachutes the army men use or something

While the lack of shade is more likely to be as a result of cost cutting, could it be because in a couple of years time, it may top at 30min waits, plus when most of Galaxies Edge is inside, Mickey and Minies is inside and Midway Mania is inside, they didn’t feel the need?

While the lack of shade is more likely to be as a result of cost cutting, could it be because in a couple of years time, it may top at 30min waits, plus when most of Galaxies Edge is inside, Mickey and Minies is inside and Midway Mania is inside, they didn’t feel the need?
Maybe, I think its more just the cost cutting and the theming itself. This is Andy's backyard so there isn't a lot of shade. I do think they could've done more of a covered queue for Slinky though.

I was able to go to a cast preview and I loved the land. Granted Toy Story is one of my favorite movies so I knew I would enjoy it no matter what.

Slinky Dog really got me! I really didn’t think it would be as thrilling as it was but I definitely can’t wait to ride it again, it was a lot of fun! The Alien saucers were great as well, but I think it would be better at night since they seem to have strobe lights and special effects.

The theming is out of this world and I really felt like I was a toy. On top of all this you can get a gorgeous look at the construction for Galaxy’s Edge. Can’t wait until the land is open for everyone to enjoy!

I've talked to a few folks that went during cast member previews. The theming is cute, walking area isn't very large. Slinky is really fun. Biggest complain I saw was the lack of any shade and no A/C areas (other than the TSMM queue... No stores, no enclosed eating area), Saucers was fun, but not worth a long wait.
To me the lack of a dedicated store, indoor eating area, or building for M&Gs seems just odd to leave out of a new themed land. Sure -- it could be added later -- but I doubt they will sink any more money into the land after it opens unless it is super popular.

Yes, two carts.
So is Pixar place being officially closed off? There was a Toy Story merchandise "nook" there (on the left across from the restrooms).

I am guessing one of the A/C stores in the main drag will be heavily dedicated to all things Toy Story as well, still feels like a missed opportunity, but then again -- a lot of the Toy Story products can be found all over the resort. My son wanted a Zurg toy after a visit to DHS, but we just picked it up from the Toy Story section at Everything Pop! instead of dragging it around

So is Pixar place being officially closed off? There was a Toy Story merchandise "nook" there (on the left across from the restrooms).

I am guessing one of the A/C stores in the main drag will be heavily dedicated to all things Toy Story as well, still feels like a missed opportunity, but then again -- a lot of the Toy Story products can be found all over the resort. My son wanted a Zurg toy after a visit to DHS, but we just picked it up from the Toy Story section at Everything Pop! instead of dragging it around
Yes it is supposed to be closing. They might leave that area open for opening week to queue entry to the land if they need it as well as extra bathrooms.

I think the lack of shade is going to be one of the biggest complaints - especially when targeting a younger audience that likely isn't doing well with long lines to begin with (I mean, no one enjoys lines but even worse with the single digit set)

I could see them having to add some coverings to the queues and stuff (even if just like tarps like they put up in Tomorrowland) - I am sure they could think of some way to make it fit the theme - like they are the parachutes the army men use or something

Lack of shade is a problem in general at DHS. I know folks on these board comment about how hot AK always feels, but we didn’t mind it there. At least there were trees and some shaded areas. DHS just felt completely exposed and we were drenched just from the walk to Star Tours. Since the new land hadn’t opened, we hit Star Tours, TOT, and RNRC and then left.

Lack of shade is a problem in general at DHS. I know folks on these board comment about how hot AK always feels, but we didn’t mind it there. At least there were trees and some shaded areas. DHS just felt completely exposed and we were drenched just from the walk to Star Tours. Since the new land hadn’t opened, we hit Star Tours, TOT, and RNRC and then left.

The worst spot is for the Star Wars' Stage Show - just out in the direct sunlight, it's pretty terrible (though if you eat at the Brown Derby Lounge you can be under umbrellas with a cold drink while watching)

Getting rid of and not replacing the M&G just seems bizarre to me. It was one of the better themed M&G's too and always had a long wait.

Buzz, Woody, and Jessie will be meeting inside the land.

Do we know where the meet and greet location is yet? I understand for the CM previews they were just walking around but I assume that won't continue once it is fully open

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter