Toy monorail in sons room

Oglet

DIS Veteran
So we have a monorail running around our christmas tree however after christmas we plan on doing something with it and not just putting it in the closet until next year.

I had a idea that we could put it in our sons room, Id love to elevate it above his bed add some extra track so it goes all around his room. I've got a couple ideas on how I am thinking about doing it.

I could build a small wooden shelf around the walls in his room that the track can sit on and paint it to match the color of his walls.

or I was thinking about using something along the lines of fishing line and making a couple floating platforms for it in key places that would support the track. The whole thing is pretty light.

Does anyone have any experience on doing something like this and if so how would you suggest going about doing this?.

From an engineering standpoint, I'm concerned about suspending the monorail - at least from monofilament.

However light the rail and train are, the spot on the track where the train is at any given time will be bearing a (relatively) heavier weight than the rest of the track, which could throw the system out of balance and potentially toss the train off.

My suggestion would be to put a shelf across from the bed and have the monorail cycle back and forth across it. You could put a backdrop behind it of Disney World photos, blown up.

I knew I posted here for a reason :) The backdrop gave me a crazy idea of recreating the whole disney landscape since the track makes a shape like a square but with rounded corners I could in have the train pass through a nice wall graphic of TTC station on another wall the Contemporary then the next wall a nice backdrop of MK and then on the other wall include both the Grand Floridian and Polynesian.

Thank you so much for your input!

Model Railroader Magazine has had some DVDs that they send (one of those annoying 1st one is low cost/free then the others are $$$). We kept only the first one and it has a GREAT plan for building a 4'x8' layout for a model train which is basically what this monorail system is. The layout can be modified for your specifications including size and the instructions are great for building the table. Just google Model Railroader and search for the Dream, build video series.

Good Luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!