Town offers to pay off your student debt

If only my government would do the same...
Just curious - what’s the average cost of a post-secondary degree in Britain? In Canada it’s significantly less than in the United States. Not to say young people here don’t have student debt (many do) but not necessarily the crushing, high-five-figure or beyond amounts that some of our DIS friends refer to.

A town in Ohio is introducing legislation offering to pay off half of your student loan debt, up to $50,000, if you buy a house there. You must stay 10 years to get 80% and 15 to get 100%. This article doesn't say it, but I heard on the radio that they expect the tax base to grow enough to pay for the program.

I think it's an interesting concept, what do you all think?

Link
Ten to fifteen years is an awfully long time.

If someone does this when they're 25 or 30, when time is up, they're 40 to 45, and some of the best years of their lives have gone by!

It's great if they're happy, but not-so-great if they're not.

This is the perspective of someone who did something similar:

https://qz.com/quartzy/1296898/verm...and-work-remotely-heres-what-you-should-know/

I checked zillow and only found 7 homes for sale in Newburgh Heights, OH. How much tax revenue are they expecting generate off of a current max of 7 people?

I checked zillow and only found 7 homes for sale in Newburgh Heights, OH. How much tax revenue are they expecting generate off of a current max of 7 people?

Well, given the town is only 2,000 residents right now, I suppose 7 more taxpayers might move the needle a little bit.

It likely isn't just about tax revenue. I live in a community with a declining population and the loss hits more than just the tax rolls - fewer kids means less funding for schools, but the buildings don't get any cheaper to maintain; fewer residents means fewer consumers so attracting and retaining businesses becomes a more difficult task; businesses are operating short-handed because they can't find locals to fill jobs and few non-residents are interested in the commute when there are jobs available in their own areas, etc. We don't have any local income taxes in my area but we do have a student loan incentive to encourage our young people to come back after leaving for college/to start a career, and it isn't for the minuscule potential property tax impact. It is to start attracting young people and young families to help balance out a shrinking, aging population.

It's an interesting way to bring in new residents, revenue and business. I'd like to hear -- in a few years -- if it's working. I agree with the person who says that thanks to the ability to telecommute, it's more possible today than ever.

Just curious - what’s the average cost of a post-secondary degree in Britain? In Canada it’s significantly less than in the United States. Not to say young people here don’t have student debt (many do) but not necessarily the crushing, high-five-figure or beyond amounts that some of our DIS friends refer to.
The universities here can charge up to a maximum of £9,250 ($13,050 US) per year, and add the maintenance loan on top, the debt can be within the high 5-figures.

Ten to fifteen years is an awfully long time.

If someone does this when they're 25 or 30, when time is up, they're 40 to 45, and some of the best years of their lives have gone by!

It's great if they're happy, but not-so-great if they're not.

This is the perspective of someone who did something similar:

https://qz.com/quartzy/1296898/verm...and-work-remotely-heres-what-you-should-know/

I imagine you aren't tied to it if you don't like living there. Usually these incentives are in cities many consider "less desirable". There are people who are willing to give it a chance and city living is a pleasant surprise for many families (one I miss dearly!).

My friend lives in a town that offers free orthodontics to all kids under 18 thanks to an endowment by a wealthy woman. That sounds awesome. But she's in woods in the middle of nowhere. She loves it, but I'll pay for the teeth thank you very much. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!