• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tower of Terror?

BabyLove99

<font color=blue>future Mrs. Apolo Ohno<br><font c
I don't come to these boards often so I don't if someone has already posted this. When I was at Disney World two weeks ago we talked to a waiter at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant. He told us that soon the Tower of Terror was going to add another two stories to it's drop. Can anyone confirm this?

My guess is that would be impossible. Disney is up against a height restriction that Tower of Terror barely fits under. Adding any height would be impossible.

No height restriction involved.

If it is over 200 feet all they would have to add airplane anti-collision lights and it would take away from the look.

I think they were going to make it go lower, which would make the drop longer. THere's no way they would just build 2 stories onto the top of the tower.

Originally posted by Dznefreek
No height restriction involved.

If it is over 200 feet all they would have to add airplane anti-collision lights and it would take away from the look.

This is why ToT is exactly 199 feet tall. Yet another facinating Disney World tidbit.

When we were there just about 2 weeks ago, a CM at the TOT told us that they were going to change the sequences so that there would be a couple of cycles, you could get a different set of drops each time you went on. This is to make so it is not so predictible. I think that would be great, then it would make it a little more scary.

The deal with the ToT is yes there will be random drop sequences as well a few other new things. I dont want to ruin it yet but lets just say hold on to your hats the winds are coming :)

I believe some of the changes to TOT have already taken place. When we were there this past Thanksgiving we got 6 drops, not the usual 4. 3 full drops, and 3 half drops in random sequence. My boys and I usually call out the count as we go down, as they know I hate heights, and love to rub it in as we go dooowwwnnn !!! agh !

There were rumors awhile back about the random drop sequence being installed sometime this summer/fall. I assume there must have been some technical issues, as it would have been another thing they would have loved to advertised as part of the 100th celebration. It should be a nice addition.

Jaypd: Should we take any clue from your reference to "the wind". Maybe, some type of special air effect?

I think it is great that they continue to work to improve ToT. This is a practice I think they should employ more all around the resort. Every so often add a little something to existing rides to make it a slightly new/better re-ride experience.

At first I wondered how they could get funds (justify to management) to make these improvements when ToT is already so popular. I assume they realize ToT is one of those signature rides many people associate as exemplary of the Disney difference. It would be wise on their part to make sure this continues to be so.

The reason why they didn't do the random drop sequence is because Epcot's attendence fell dramadicly after the WDWMC, so they postponed the release of the random drop sequence for a while so Epcot won't drop again...

The random drop sequence has been rumored both among guests and cast members for a long time. Although there are some that believe a random drop sequence may be on the way it is not currently installed and there have been no official announcements made. From what I learned working at Tower (a few shifts as greeter, unload when they were understaffed) it would be quite costly and require some new computer hardware added to the RCS (Ride Control System) to allow a random drop sequence to take place.

As for an additional two stories for the drop...This is quite possible as the current drop sequence does not drop from the highest possible point in the shaft (it actually drops from 154 feet and has the ability to drop from 170ft, just about two stories higher.)

This sounds like great news :) Thnax JayPD for the hint :wink :wink
I am up for some more drops and more special effects added to the attraction :D

We just returned from WDW last week and rode the TOT about 6 times. We got three different drop sequences out of these six times. It made the ride even more fun because you thought you knew what was going to happen, and then wham!
:bounce:

That's great. When I rode first of Dec. it was the same is last January. A random drop would drastically increase the fun factor, because I was getting too used to the current (or perhaps now old) one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter