Touring plans?!? Maxpass?!?

katyringo

DIS Veteran
ive been kinda of looking at touring plans for Disneyland. We are going dec 27-29th as park days so any help we can get I want to know about it.

Has only used one of these touring plans with max pass? I dunno. I tried to do a custom one and it had us waiting to pull RSR fast pass until like noon... which goes against all other advice I’ve read...

IMO. Don't bother with custom plans.

My favorite story to tell was once it had me showing up at rope drop at Christmas time to rush to...Great Moments with Lincoln.

That said, the plans in the back of their book aren't bad, I have had good success if for no other reason it takes away a lot of indecisiveness and wasted time saying, "what do you want to do? I don't know." You walk with purpose everywhere and as you get off one ride your feet are heading to the next. You see surprising rides you would have skipped. Those 5, 10 minutes saved add up big time.

I have all my days planned out on Touring Plans but I don't let it optimize my plan but just evaluate the plan I wish to do. I know which rides my family wants to do or must for them and I prioritize that in my plans. I just use it to build my own itinerary so that I can remind myself which we should do and in what order. But I also adjust given the day and lines. Sometimes what we planned doesn't work out but we still have a good time. With MP and us going in the holiday season I do not think there plans are very accurate right now.

Touring Plans isn't so useful for DL. It's great for WDW, but DL is a different animal. I wouldn't bother with attempting to do one of their plans. And I certainly wouldn't leave RSR FPs till noon, especially not that week. It's more than likely they will be gone by then.

I gave up on Touring Plans as a tool when it told me to pull a FP for Space Mountain at 11:00, expecting that the return time would be 2:10 pm (this was before the app showed FP return times). Well, the return time was 5:55 pm. It kind of screwed up the plan for the whole day.

Agree with PP about TP not being as useful at Disneyland vs WDW. What I used it for most was checking out the anticipated wait times for the rides I was interested in on the days I would be there. Then use that knowledge to construct your own sort of plan, allowing it to be flexible. Then throughout the day just keep an eye on FP return times and you should be good to go!

Another one jumping on the "I wouldn't use TP." My understanding is that they use historical information, which is great at WDW where the crowds are mainly tourists on vacations, so you know certain weeks will be more typically busy. But DLR has significantly more locals and attendance varies with local conferences at the convention center, school holidays/furloughs/grading days, which may vary from day to day, week to week, month to month, and year to year. Its hard to foreshadow attendance when attendance is based on whether kids are going to be in school on any given day, or if there's a certain conference in town.

I'd ask here to figure out a better touring plan when using in combination with MP. My personal thought would be to grab GotG FP first, then RSR, then go from there to either MP or standby for any other "must do" rides in DCA.

Another one jumping on the "I wouldn't use TP." My understanding is that they use historical information, which is great at WDW where the crowds are mainly tourists on vacations, so you know certain weeks will be more typically busy. But DLR has significantly more locals and attendance varies with local conferences at the convention center, school holidays/furloughs/grading days, which may vary from day to day, week to week, month to month, and year to year. Its hard to foreshadow attendance when attendance is based on whether kids are going to be in school on any given day, or if there's a certain conference in town.

I'd ask here to figure out a better touring plan when using in combination with MP. My personal thought would be to grab GotG FP first, then RSR, then go from there to either MP or standby for any other "must do" rides in DCA.

Thank you! I’m not sure yet if we will be doing guardians.. my 5 year old is tall enough but not sure if it will be too scary for him.

I’ve also been looking at casey from Disneyland daily’s plans.. anyone use those?

Thank you! I’m not sure yet if we will be doing guardians.. my 5 year old is tall enough but not sure if it will be too scary for him.

I’ve also been looking at casey from Disneyland daily’s plans.. anyone use those?
I'd trust Casey a lot more, as she is personally there most every weekend!

I used to use Ridemax and bought it in October before our last trip, but we also added Maxpass to our AP's for that trip. Aside from playing around with a few plans, I didn't use Ridemax. I think having Maxpass makes Ridemax and Touring Plans a little obsolete. I've done a lot of research in the past so I generally know about wait times. With Maxpass it was so much easier to go with the flow and not have a pre-determined schedule.

The week you're going to be there, I'd go with RSR first, THEN GotG - now that the novelty has worn off, GotG lasts longer.

BTW, GotG isn't particularly scary. My DD9 melted down and refused loudly to go on it (she had ridden ToT at DHS several years ago. We begged and pleaded with her to go on GotG (note: I'm not a fan of droppy rides, either). The ride is awesome - halfway through, my reluctant DD yelled "I LOVE THIS!" It's more funny than scary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!