RnR & SM update

ellie05

DIS Veteran
We are booked for Disneyland Hotel this October. I did read the Unofficial guide to DLP but the touring plans leave much to be desired. What did you used for your trip?

Also is RnR track the same as the one is HS? And is so how does that compare to Space Mountain in DLP?

Update

I figure I will update this thread since we came back in case someone else was looking for information since I look and couldn’t really find much.

Background I have done very coaster in WDW and some in the studios I don’t like g- forces feeling. I love TOT. I particularly don’t like the launch at RnR.

How do the Paris rides compare to the WDW version.

Space Mnt Paris vs RnR: SM is milder IMO. The launch is not as bad at all and the new restrains are very confortable.

India Jones vs other Disney coasters: this ride is super mild not much more intense than BTMRR very short.

I was surprised but crush coaster gave me the strongest g force feeling out of the 3. Fun ride and I will still do it again but I will say this could be comparable to EE depending on the seat you pick in EE.

Any other questions just ask!

Last edited:
RnR track is exactly the same as WDW, the preshow is similar, but they rush guests through it and keep the band voices low so it's hard to understand what they say. On ride there are no traffic signs as in Orlando, tbecause without the pre-show it wouldn't make any sense, so on ride there are mostly light effects.
Space Mountains are a completely different ride, much much more intense, more similar to RnR than to the US versions.

How many days do you have? Are you staying on site?

RnR track is exactly the same as WDW, the preshow is similar, but they rush guests through it and keep the band voices low so it's hard to understand what they say. On ride there are no traffic signs as in Orlando, tbecause without the pre-show it wouldn't make any sense, so on ride there are mostly light effects.
Space Mountains are a completely different ride, much much more intense, more similar to RnR than to the US versions.

How many days do you have? Are you staying on site?

Thank you! We have 2 days. We are in staying onsite at the Disneyland hotel so we will have an extr FP per day. Would you say SM in DLP is more intense than RnR or about the same?

There is no general consensus. I found RnR to be more intense, with SM restraints more uncomfortable, but they've just changed those so they may have improved. I have a couple of friends who think SM are more intense.

I've read in October they'll change EMH to be one hour at both parks rather than 2 hours at the Disneyland Park, but I'm not sure which attractions will be opened at the Studios for EMH.
If you go before October, be at the main park when EMH begin and head straight to Peter Pan, after the first 15-20 minutes it develops a queue even during EMH. Do Dumbo if interested, then head to Tomorrowland. 15 minutes before park opening head toward Frontierland to rope drop BTMRR, do it standby and when exiting take a FP. If you take the FP first, then the line will be already long. You may skip this step if you wish to use the hotel FP for BTMRR, it's quite a rush in the morning and can be unconfortable with people running and pushing. However BTMRR is the crown jewel of the park, so it's worth a bit of hassle. By this time you'll have done most of the attractions which develop long lines: Phantom Manor, Pirates, It's a Small world won't be a big problem.

At the studios the higher priority by far is Crush and Coaster. It's like a cross between Primeval Whirl and BTMRR and it's a lot of fun (if you don't suffer from motion sickness, otherwise it's off limits). However it have a ridiculus hourly load so it develps 45-90 minutes in a matter of seconds after opening. It has no FP and the single rider line often is just 5-10 minutes shorter. So be at the gates 30 minutes before opening and run to that attraction first. If someone in the group does not wish to ride, he can go to take a FP for Ratatuille, otherwise take if after Crush. If you don't mind splitting, the single rider line can be even faster than FP, but last time I was at the park in May more people were taking advantage of it, so it may have changed. While waiting for the Ratatuille FP go to Toy Story Playland and do the attractions you may like, however they're little more than carnival rides, the land is fun to check out, though.
After Ratatuille, prioritize the Tower of Terror as the second FP. Other attractions aren't a big problem. Be sure to watch Mickey and the Magician show, it's really good. Be at the theater 15-20 in advance.

If you visit during the week end, it may be a bit more difficult than I wrote, with longer lines at most attractions. General strategy is still valid, but you'll have to make a better use of the FP. Be sure to take your time to "smell the roses". DLP is an ambience park, better sipped slowly. Its strong point is not the attractions lineup but in the wonderful theming and general ambience.

Food is not that great and poor options for counter service or snacking.
DL hotel restaurants are very good but pricey, Walt's is great and probably the only one it's better to book in advance (beware, often open only for lunch). Capt Jack restaurant just reopened after a refurbishment, so I cannot comment on food (it used to be not great) but the ambience is one of the best, similar to Blue Bayour in DL. Agraba Cafè is a good buffet if you like food at the Moroccan pavilion, Plaza Gardens a safer option. Chez Remy at the studios is good and has a fun theming.
For counter service, Cowboy Cookout and Lucky nudget saloon have very good BBQ food (almost identical at both); Toad's Hall is the prettiest counter service, serving fish and chips; Hakuna Matata has nice theming and decent kebab. Do yourself a favor and do not eat burgers or hot dogs in the parks, they're awful. If you want a good burger Annet's or Five Guys in the Disney Village outside the parks are good options. And there's an Earl of Sandwich too.

There is no general consensus. I found RnR to be more intense, with SM restraints more uncomfortable, but they've just changed those so they may have improved. I have a couple of friends who think SM are more intense.

I've read in October they'll change EMH to be one hour at both parks rather than 2 hours at the Disneyland Park, but I'm not sure which attractions will be opened at the Studios for EMH.
If you go before October, be at the main park when EMH begin and head straight to Peter Pan, after the first 15-20 minutes it develops a queue even during EMH. Do Dumbo if interested, then head to Tomorrowland. 15 minutes before park opening head toward Frontierland to rope drop BTMRR, do it standby and when exiting take a FP. If you take the FP first, then the line will be already long. You may skip this step if you wish to use the hotel FP for BTMRR, it's quite a rush in the morning and can be unconfortable with people running and pushing. However BTMRR is the crown jewel of the park, so it's worth a bit of hassle. By this time you'll have done most of the attractions which develop long lines: Phantom Manor, Pirates, It's a Small world won't be a big problem.

At the studios the higher priority by far is Crush and Coaster. It's like a cross between Primeval Whirl and BTMRR and it's a lot of fun (if you don't suffer from motion sickness, otherwise it's off limits). However it have a ridiculus hourly load so it develps 45-90 minutes in a matter of seconds after opening. It has no FP and the single rider line often is just 5-10 minutes shorter. So be at the gates 30 minutes before opening and run to that attraction first. If someone in the group does not wish to ride, he can go to take a FP for Ratatuille, otherwise take if after Crush. If you don't mind splitting, the single rider line can be even faster than FP, but last time I was at the park in May more people were taking advantage of it, so it may have changed. While waiting for the Ratatuille FP go to Toy Story Playland and do the attractions you may like, however they're little more than carnival rides, the land is fun to check out, though.
After Ratatuille, prioritize the Tower of Terror as the second FP. Other attractions aren't a big problem. Be sure to watch Mickey and the Magician show, it's really good. Be at the theater 15-20 in advance.

If you visit during the week end, it may be a bit more difficult than I wrote, with longer lines at most attractions. General strategy is still valid, but you'll have to make a better use of the FP. Be sure to take your time to "smell the roses". DLP is an ambience park, better sipped slowly. Its strong point is not the attractions lineup but in the wonderful theming and general ambience.

Food is not that great and poor options for counter service or snacking.
DL hotel restaurants are very good but pricey, Walt's is great and probably the only one it's better to book in advance (beware, often open only for lunch). Capt Jack restaurant just reopened after a refurbishment, so I cannot comment on food (it used to be not great) but the ambience is one of the best, similar to Blue Bayour in DL. Agraba Cafè is a good buffet if you like food at the Moroccan pavilion, Plaza Gardens a safer option. Chez Remy at the studios is good and has a fun theming.
For counter service, Cowboy Cookout and Lucky nudget saloon have very good BBQ food (almost identical at both); Toad's Hall is the prettiest counter service, serving fish and chips; Hakuna Matata has nice theming and decent kebab. Do yourself a favor and do not eat burgers or hot dogs in the parks, they're awful. If you want a good burger Annet's or Five Guys in the Disney Village outside the parks are good options. And there's an Earl of Sandwich too.

Thank you that was so helpful! We have the half board plan so we will be making reservations for walts and Remy bistro.

Now I only have to make up my mind if I want to ride Space mountain or not. I watched a lot of videos online but it is hard to see anything becaue is so dark! I don't like the launch of RnR but I am fine with everything else and I have done it many times:confused: .

I am an avid planner and know the Unofficial Guide touring plans well. Their book is obviously very out of date (and there are no alternatives of which I am aware), but using the principles that they outline are helpful i.e. thinking about how roads loads and unload etc. Knowing that Pirates, Phantom Manor and Its a Small World are continuous loaders (meaning they have loads of boats/cars going through the ride while others are loading) Vs an interval loader like Big Thunder (where the ride has to stop to allow people on) helps inform ride order decisions. So reading up on the rides, even in the out of date unofficial guide helps.

Disney also has an app which links to the live wait time board. Whilst it is not perfect, I looked at it constantly before I went and could work out traffic patterns from it. During the Summer in the morning, close to opening the queues are small(er) and they build constantly until they peak in mid afternoon. I noticed a bit of a dip at around 4/5pm probably caused by the parade and some day guests going home exhausted. And I could always sneak in a major attraction just before closing pretty quickly at the night time show builds.

Big Thunder is the big draw with the biggest queues. Sometimes they hit 120 minutes in the summer.

Not sure about October.

I totally agree about this being an atmosphere/explore park. Attraction wise it is solid, but nowhere near WDW. For me the only attractions which surpass WDW are Pirates and Its a Small World. If Mickey and the Magician is open definitely see that. I don't believe it appears outside of Paris.

I am an avid planner and know the Unofficial Guide touring plans well. Their book is obviously very out of date (and there are no alternatives of which I am aware), but using the principles that they outline are helpful i.e. thinking about how roads loads and unload etc. Knowing that Pirates, Phantom Manor and Its a Small World are continuous loaders (meaning they have loads of boats/cars going through the ride while others are loading) Vs an interval loader like Big Thunder (where the ride has to stop to allow people on) helps inform ride order decisions. So reading up on the rides, even in the out of date unofficial guide helps.

Disney also has an app which links to the live wait time board. Whilst it is not perfect, I looked at it constantly before I went and could work out traffic patterns from it. During the Summer in the morning, close to opening the queues are small(er) and they build constantly until they peak in mid afternoon. I noticed a bit of a dip at around 4/5pm probably caused by the parade and some day guests going home exhausted. And I could always sneak in a major attraction just before closing pretty quickly at the night time show builds.

Big Thunder is the big draw with the biggest queues. Sometimes they hit 120 minutes in the summer.

Not sure about October.

I totally agree about this being an atmosphere/explore park. Attraction wise it is solid, but nowhere near WDW. For me the only attractions which surpass WDW are Pirates and Its a Small World. If Mickey and the Magician is open definitely see that. I don't believe it appears outside of Paris.

Thanks! There is an independent guide to Disneyland Paris which has a current guide I read it too and it was ok their touring plans is not what I am use to.:)

DLP Touring guides are not used as much as they are not really needed in the same way as WDW.
It is so much easier to park hop at DLP - the parks are right next to each other the same as DL California - its literally a few minutes to go from one to another and you dont even have to go through security/bag check again.
There is also no need to pre book restaurant reservations in the same way and they still use the old fast pass system so again no need for planning - its all so much more relaxed and less of a military operation.
It is often commented on how beautiful the disneyland park is compared to the American parks so also take time to look around you and explore as well

Space Mountain and Indiana Jones are the most ferocious Disney coasters out there, so figure that if Rock n Roller Coaster push your limits, sitting them out may not be a bad idea. Space Mountain height restriction was finally lowered to 47 inches when it received its new fleet of rockets this year and while its not as rough as before, it is quite more active and intense than Rock n Roller Coaster. You leave the station, do a sharp drop and then get loaded in the cannon. You are then launched after a countdown up the cannon at 40 mph while on a 32 degrees slope.

Indiana Jones et le Temple du Peril is a small roller coaster around a temple with a very intense loop halfway through. Visit at night as they sometimes have the flasks in front of the temple alight in flames, making the attraction look quite spectacular.

RC Racer, Space Mountain, Crush Coaster, Ratatouille and Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop feature Single Riders lines. As others have said, they can be quite hit or miss. Ratatouille is the hardest fast pass to get as it cause quite a stampede when the park opens. Crush Coaster is like others said a really slow line and you can't really avoid it.

We just got back from our first Disney Paris trip. We've been to Disney World a dozen times now. To us, RnC is better in Disney World - very similar but the head constraints hurt our heads a little on the Paris version. We usually ride it at least 3 times each visit in Florida but once was enough in Paris. It just didn't give us the same "wow" feeling overall. We liked Space Mountain in Paris but had prepared ourselves for much more than it was. The new restraints did not bother us at all, we did this ride 4 times in Paris and enjoyed it (that is after getting over our initial disappointment , as we expected something way more intense after all the hype). Don't get me wrong, it's more intense than the Florida version but some ranked it more intense than RnC, which it definitely was not for us. Indiana Jones, I can't really comment on the ride itself because we spent the entire time trying to keep our heads from being slammed around. I think my daughter and I were at the unfortunate height that our heads bang the overhead restraints in just the place. Thunder Mountain was way better in Paris and our absolute favorite was Crush Coaster.

Note that on the half board plan you get one voucher per night. So if you're going 2 days, one night, you only get 1 voucher. But both Walts and Remy are great! So do go to both, but just so you know.
Space mountain also "shoots" you at the start, but you're at an angle when it does, so for me it's less intense then RnR, if that helps your decision.

We will be spending two nights at the DL hotel. Thank you for the advice on SM it did help my decision I think I am going to try it! The only thing that bothers me at RnR is the launch and I figure it will last a few seconds anyway so even if I hate it, it will be over before I know it.

Space Mountain and Indiana Jones are the most ferocious Disney coasters out there, so figure that if Rock n Roller Coaster push your limits, sitting them out may not be a bad idea. Space Mountain height restriction was finally lowered to 47 inches when it received its new fleet of rockets this year and while its not as rough as before, it is quite more active and intense than Rock n Roller Coaster. You leave the station, do a sharp drop and then get loaded in the cannon. You are then launched after a countdown up the cannon at 40 mph while on a 32 degrees slope.

Indiana Jones et le Temple du Peril is a small roller coaster around a temple with a very intense loop halfway through. Visit at night as they sometimes have the flasks in front of the temple alight in flames, making the attraction look quite spectacular.

RC Racer, Space Mountain, Crush Coaster, Ratatouille and Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop feature Single Riders lines. As others have said, they can be quite hit or miss. Ratatouille is the hardest fast pass to get as it cause quite a stampede when the park opens. Crush Coaster is like others said a really slow line and you can't really avoid it.

I have watched many videos of Indiana Jones and it doesn't strike me as super intense. I am ok with loops the only thing that bother me about RnR is the launch as I still ride it I just don't particular enjoy it. I think California Screaming seems more intense than Indiana Jones. Do you find the angle makes a big difference in the launch of SM? I have been doing research and it seem that SM is slower, and not as tall as RnR also the G force rating seem lower. I will defiantly try to ride Indiana Jones at night thanks for the tip!

We just got back from our first Disney Paris trip. We've been to Disney World a dozen times now. To us, RnC is better in Disney World - very similar but the head constraints hurt our heads a little on the Paris version. We usually ride it at least 3 times each visit in Florida but once was enough in Paris. It just didn't give us the same "wow" feeling overall. We liked Space Mountain in Paris but had prepared ourselves for much more than it was. The new restraints did not bother us at all, we did this ride 4 times in Paris and enjoyed it (that is after getting over our initial disappointment , as we expected something way more intense after all the hype). Don't get me wrong, it's more intense than the Florida version but some ranked it more intense than RnC, which it definitely was not for us. Indiana Jones, I can't really comment on the ride itself because we spent the entire time trying to keep our heads from being slammed around. I think my daughter and I were at the unfortunate height that our heads bang the overhead restraints in just the place. Thunder Mountain was way better in Paris and our absolute favorite was Crush Coaster.

Thanks! I am short and I hate when my head bumps into the restrains I might have to re think Indiana Jones now...

It seems there is such a divide on which ride is more intense between RnR and SM it makes it so hard to know what to expect!

We will be spending two nights at the DL hotel. Thank you for the advice on SM it did help my decision I think I am going to try it! The only thing that bothers me at RnR is the launch and I figure it will last a few seconds anyway so even if I hate it, it will be over before I know it.

I have watched many videos of Indiana Jones and it doesn't strike me as super intense. I am ok with loops the only thing that bother me about RnR is the launch as I still ride it I just don't particular enjoy it. I think California Screaming seems more intense than Indiana Jones. Do you find the angle makes a big difference in the launch of SM? I have been doing research and it seem that SM is slower, and not as tall as RnR also the G force rating seem lower. I will defiantly try to ride Indiana Jones at night thanks for the tip!

Thanks! I am short and I hate when my head bumps into the restrains I might have to re think Indiana Jones now...

It seems there is such a divide on which ride is more intense between RnR and SM it makes it so hard to know what to expect!

Indiana Jones loop is the most intense moment on a Disney coaster around the world. It is a bit smoother and more engineered since they changed the loop (yes, they removed the old loop, lifted it clear out of the temple with a crane and then installed a new one!), but still an intense experience. The trains are not very comfortable: picture the same over the shoulder restraints as California Screamin' with a lot less padding on the seat and sharper curves.

Rock n Roller Coaster does have a unique thing going on: I was never told why, but one of the train launch at an higher speed than the others. I rode that train a few times and you can feel it: it bounces a lot more due to the speed and is a lot more intense in the Rollover double inversion at the start. With the regular settings, it is much tamer than Space Mountain.

For Space Mountain, the launch is not that intense, but it is the brief moment of weightlessness at the top that get people. The rest of the ride has inversions spread throughout the ride and some sharp curves and a surprising drop too. Keep your eyes open for the awesome projections and effects.

For Tower of Terror, the preshow and on ride experience is offered in both french and english. Default is French, but when the cast members hear a lot of English spoken or other languages, they can select English.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!