Touring in Paris some questions, and some suggestions

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
We have the hotel in Paris, Airline, and DLP... all ready to go.... checked off the list....

Now we are getting ready to see what we want to do in Paris.... of course we want to see the sites, but we are trying to plan around them...

For instance - we want to go to Notre-Dame Cathedral... and the Marais... on the maps it looks close together... Is it walkable between the two? suggestions for around lunch time? also when touring the Cathedrals, churches, and other religious sites, is it necessary to cover your head? shoulders?...like in Rome when touring covering your head and shoulders is expected at in Vatican City and several other religious sites... I have no problem doing this, I just want to prepared and have what I need in my day bag... Also is there anything else in the area that's a must see?

Cooking classes? DH and I love to cook so we thought what better place in the world to learn a new dish, and pick up some pointers...

Dinner Cruise for our anniversary?

Also we always get a couples massage for our anniversary.... suggestions... My friends said that they went somewhere were it was like a cave? and the sky light looked through a lily pond... any help here would be great....I think she said it was in a hotel... her DH who never really chimes in on anything said it was amazing... so it must be wonderful....But they can't remember the name just the experience...any thoughts on where it might be...

Ive been to The Vatican and I dont remember covering my head, just made sure shoulders ie no spaghetti strap tops. The same in Paris. I went to mass in Notre Dame Cathedral, again the same, didnt cover head, just no spaghetti strap tops. Men should remove hats in Churches and Cathedrals.

Another suggestion for somewhere in Paris to visit, the Opera House. Its the place where Phantom of The Opera is based on, and yes they do have an underground lake and an amazing chandelier. I also went to the real Moulin Rouge, the dinner and show package.

For instance - we want to go to Notre-Dame Cathedral... and the Marais... on the maps it looks close together... Is it walkable between the two? suggestions for around lunch time? also when touring the Cathedrals, churches, and other religious sites, is it necessary to cover your head? shoulders?...like in Rome when touring covering your head and shoulders is expected at in Vatican City and several other religious sites... I have no problem doing this, I just want to prepared and have what I need in my day bag... Also is there anything else in the area that's a must see?

Well, we are walkers, and I would say it depends on if you are willing to walk around. What is walkable for one person may not be walkable for another. We walked all over Ile de la Cite (the island where Notre Dame is) and it's quite small. It's very easy to cross the bridges to the Marais district or Saint Germain, where we were staying. Our favorite part of visiting Paris was wandering the streets. We didn't take the train unless we needed to go a long way.

We popped into whatever cafe we happened to be close to for lunch. Never had a bad meal in Paris. Maybe a couple that weren't spectacular, but nothing bad. We got really delicious crepes at an ice cream place near Notre Dame as you head over to Marias. If you are going to Marais, I think there is a requirement that you must eat falafel. :)

Make sure to visit Sainte-Chapelle after Notre Dame. It was breathtaking, and I honestly preferred it to Notre Dame, although both are just amazing.

Cooking classes? DH and I love to cook so we thought what better place in the world to learn a new dish, and pick up some pointers...

My daughter did a kids cooking class at Cook'n with Class in Montmartre. It was really well done- we were impressed. They do adult classes as well, and I watched a bit of one while I was waiting for my daughter. The chefs speak English and are very patient and talented.

Ive been to The Vatican and I dont remember covering my head, just made sure shoulders ie no spaghetti strap tops. The same in Paris. I went to mass in Notre Dame Cathedral, again the same, didnt cover head, just no spaghetti strap tops. Men should remove hats in Churches and Cathedrals.

Another suggestion for somewhere in Paris to visit, the Opera House. Its the place where Phantom of The Opera is based on, and yes they do have an underground lake and an amazing chandelier. I also went to the real Moulin Rouge, the dinner and show package.

If I could ask.... How did you like the dinner at Moulin Rouge? we were thinking about just going for the show.... so this might be a good option for us.... and did you just tour the Opera House... or see a performance?

Well, we are walkers, and I would say it depends on if you are willing to walk around. What is walkable for one person may not be walkable for another. We walked all over Ile de la Cite (the island where Notre Dame is) and it's quite small. It's very easy to cross the bridges to the Marais district or Saint Germain, where we were staying. Our favorite part of visiting Paris was wandering the streets. We didn't take the train unless we needed to go a long way.

Walking is not really a issue for us... so I will pencil this tip in for our up coming trip...

We popped into whatever cafe we happened to be close to for lunch. Never had a bad meal in Paris. Maybe a couple that weren't spectacular, but nothing bad. We got really delicious crepes at an ice cream place near Notre Dame as you head over to Marias. If you are going to Marais, I think there is a requirement that you must eat falafel. :)

My friend told me the in the Marias has the best little shops. I love crepes and DH is good with them... Not so much on the falafel...

Make sure to visit Sainte-Chapelle after Notre Dame. It was breathtaking, and I honestly preferred it to Notre Dame, although both are just amazing.

Adding this tip to my list...

My daughter did a kids cooking class at Cook'n with Class in Montmartre. It was really well done- we were impressed. They do adult classes as well, and I watched a bit of one while I was waiting for my daughter. The chefs speak English and are very patient and talented.

I will have to check this out... We are leaning toward a class where you go to the market with the chef, then cook, and have lunch....I think its around a 4 hour class. We are staying in the Arc de Triomphe area a block or two from the Arc, If I have my directions straight, Montmarte is near the Champs Elysess, and Sacre-Coeur Basilica is in that area as well...

DH and I when we tour, we like to check out an area, get the feel..., see what there is to see, shop, and eat along the way... We don't like running around back and forth...

If I could ask.... How did you like the dinner at Moulin Rouge? we were thinking about just going for the show
I loved it but I am not a fussy eater. It is French fine dining, so I would advise checking out the menus online. I was there in 2006 so I really cant remember the exact dishes. Those who only did the show only saw half of the performances we did, as there is performances during the meal, ie between courses.

Just be warned though, it is a topless show so may not be suited to everyone. Its not smutty or erotic, think of it like a Cirque Show but with most of the cast topless.

and did you just tour the Opera House... or see a performance?
I didnt have much time there, I only had a day to explore Paris so I just did the self guided tour during the day. There is one of the Opera Boxes open so you can see the auditorium and the chandelier.

I loved it but I am not a fussy eater. It is French fine dining, so I would advise checking out the menus online. I was there in 2006 so I really cant remember the exact dishes. Those who only did the show only saw half of the performances we did, as there is performances during the meal, ie between courses.

Just be warned though, it is a topless show so may not be suited to everyone. Its not smutty or erotic, think of it like a Cirque Show but with most of the cast topless.

I didnt have much time there, I only had a day to explore Paris so I just did the self guided tour during the day. There is one of the Opera Boxes open so you can see the auditorium and the chandelier.

No issue with the topless, we have seen other shows like this.... great tip, on the performances between courses...I love Phantom of the Opera... so I would like to check it out...

No issue with the topless, we have seen other shows like this.... great tip, on the performances between courses...I love Phantom of the Opera... so I would like to check it out...

Thats cool, I was on a bus tour around Europe and Moulin Rouge was one of the optional extras. I know some didnt go when they found out it was topless.

Yes thats why I went too :) We had a free day in Paris. When we checked into the hotel I read the hotel book and saw it listed Notre Dame as the local church and listed the mass times, so I went to morning mass at Notre Dame, then went to The Opera House and The Louve and had a wander along the River then went back to the hotel to meet up with the tour group and go to Moulin Rouge.

You are right in that the Sacre Coeur is in the same area as Montmatre but they are no where near the Arc de Triomphe/Champs Elysee.

The easiest way to reach Sacre Coeur and Montmatre is to get the metro to Anvers and then walk up the hill - the Sacre Coeur will be in front of you up a flight of steps (or you can take the funiculaire) and Montmatre is behind it. When you look at a map it does look as though some other metro stations are easier to use to reach it but believe me they arent. Sacre Coeur is up on a hill and the other stations tend to be tucked away out of sight. Its not the safest of areas to be wandering round lost especially at night.

You are correct though that the Marais area is very easy to reach from Notre Dame.

I lived in Paris for 6mths (a long time ago though) and one of my favourite walks was from Notre Dame along the river to the Louvre. From there there was a wonderful view all the way up to the Arc de Triomphe. Then I would walk through the Jardin de Tuileries towards Place de la Concorde and then up the Champs Elysee.

Make sure you go and look at the back of Notre Dame - it is so different to the front which is very angular - the back is very beautiful and ornate. And see if you can spot the hidden Mickeys on the front of it.

There is a lovely ice cream place - Berthillon on the Ile de la cite close to Notre Dame and make sure you go to Angelina's on Rue de Rivoli - not far from the Louvre- they serve the best hot chocolate ever.
http://www.berthillon.fr/
http://www.angelina-paris.fr/fr/

This map also looks quite useful
https://www.parispass.com/paris-tourist-map/

Sorry I cant help with your other questions about cookery classes or the spa

You are right in that the Sacre Coeur is in the same area as Montmatre but they are no where near the Arc de Triomphe/Champs Elysee.

The easiest way to reach Sacre Coeur and Montmatre is to get the metro to Anvers and then walk up the hill - the Sacre Coeur will be in front of you up a flight of steps (or you can take the funiculaire) and Montmatre is behind it. When you look at a map it does look as though some other metro stations are easier to use to reach it but believe me they arent. Sacre Coeur is up on a hill and the other stations tend to be tucked away out of sight. Its not the safest of areas to be wandering round lost especially at night.

You are correct though that the Marais area is very easy to reach from Notre Dame.

I lived in Paris for 6mths (a long time ago though) and one of my favourite walks was from Notre Dame along the river to the Louvre. From there there was a wonderful view all the way up to the Arc de Triomphe. Then I would walk through the Jardin de Tuileries towards Place de la Concorde and then up the Champs Elysee.

Make sure you go and look at the back of Notre Dame - it is so different to the front which is very angular - the back is very beautiful and ornate. And see if you can spot the hidden Mickeys on the front of it.

There is a lovely ice cream place - Berthillon on the Ile de la cite close to Notre Dame and make sure you go to Angelina's on Rue de Rivoli - not far from the Louvre- they serve the best hot chocolate ever.

Thanks so much... I am searching for a map... that I can use to get a better idea of where everything is, in relation to our hotel, so that we can plan sorta what each section of the city has to offer...and the best way to move about in that area, and see the sites.

Thank you for this info too! Some we already knew but that's a good tip about Notre Dame and I'm adding Angelina's to our list :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts