Touring castle without riding Forbidden Journey

Spotthecat

Mouseketeer
Ok I'm confused as what I'm reading is all conflicted.

Can we tour the castle without riding the ride? We are staying onsite so will have Express pass. Do they route you differently? We just want to explore then when we get to the ride chicken out...

Ok I'm confused as what I'm reading is all conflicted.

Can we tour the castle without riding the ride? We are staying onsite so will have Express pass. Do they route you differently? We just want to explore then when we get to the ride chicken out...

You can walk through the Express line or the full regular line and not ride......

We did both this past trip as we just wanted to take some pictures........you tell the TM at the beginning you’re not riding so you can take your camera if you have one.........and then when it gets to the TM who send you to the ride, tell them you’re not riding and they’ll show you the door you exit.

It takes you out at the store same as the folks riding.

That's great! So they don't force you to put all your stuff in a locker or something?

If you’re not riding no they won’t.

I’ve kept my cross body bag with me and my husband carried his camera.......they will ask you when you join the line to put your items in a locker, but once you say you aren’t riding you can carry on.

You can really take your time doing this and see so much of what there is in there, we just tell folks to go past us when we stop to take pictures.....so many things to take pictures of!!!

This is super helpful thank you. My 11 year old just wants to explore the castle. If he couldn't do this...there would have been some tears lol.

Is it worth doing both lineups? Anything different or extra to see in the EP line?

This is super helpful thank you. My 11 year old just wants to explore the castle. If he couldn't do this...there would have been some tears lol.

Is it worth doing both lineups? Anything different or extra to see in the EP line?

I actually prefer the EP line. But, if you can definitely do both......

The regular line takes you through the greenhouse and you see the entrance to Dumbledore’s office and much more, but I still prefer the EP line......

I’m sure your son will love seeing it all......it is pretty darn impressive.

If memory serves, you can get closer to the pensieve in the regular line (not that you are super far in the EP line). The EP line used to be the castle tour line prior to EP, so there are some places built in where you can stand and not be run over by people wanting to get to the front of the line. As I recall, it's particularly nice in Dumbledore's office. I don't think there's a similar space in the DATD classroom. But the spiel in the DATD classroom changes, so it's worth watching a couple of times.

If you’re not riding no they won’t.

I’ve kept my cross body bag with me and my husband carried his camera.......they will ask you when you join the line to put your items in a locker, but once you say you aren’t riding you can carry on.

You can really take your time doing this and see so much of what there is in there, we just tell folks to go past us when we stop to take pictures.....so many things to take pictures of!!!

I just want to highlight part of Schumigirl's post, because I feel this is great etiquette. Many people will wait behind you as a courtesy while you take pictures. Please do let them know to continue past you as you look around and take pictures. The rest of the line will greatly appreciate it. Have fun, you're going to have great time!

I would try the regular line once when it is not too long. I get the 3 lines (regular, EP, single) mixed up in my mind, but if the express line skips the entrance to Dumbledore's office, then I think it also skips the Mirror of Erised the tubes showing the house points. If he really wants to explore, the walk through the greenhouse area is pleasant also if the line is not too long. Single rider skips a lot.

I'm not usually taking pictures, but I do stop to listen to the portaraits talking, Dumbledore in his office, and Harry, Hermione, and Ron in the classroom. Everyone races through there but it is fun to stop and listen. I just wave them by.

Do the regular once as express skips a few things. Express is nice though as usually, on normal days, the line doesn’t back up much. This means most people just walk right past you as they know you’re taking your time. Regular line you consantly have to tell people to go ahead, which is the right thing to do but distracting. Express has its own portait hall and its much easier to hear. For most of the express line, you’re closer to the scene. The exception is the DADA room, where you’re stuck at the back of a long room.

Don't leave too early or you will miss the talking hat (never saw the movie, not sure what it's called). They might try to exit you early before you get into the final L shaped queue. I would let them know you don't want to miss the talking hat and exit (towards the child swap area) where the ride loads.

We quite often do the tour of the castle as we have a wheelchair so they can’t ride, same goes for Grimgotts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!