ToTW lounge access ending?

The CM was quite unclear about the Private part, but we're not big MK or fireworks people anyway, so it's no biggie. We've never eaten at The Wave and thought it might be a nice evening to spend with other DVC members and give the restaurant a try for a decent price. We're not dessert people either, but when these things pop up, we give them a try when we feel like it, just to shake things up a little. (Perfect example was Highway in the Sky Dine Around...which we will never book again) I'm guessing that it will probably be an area cordoned off from the others there with a dessert & drink area set up....Regardless, it will be interesting to try. A couple other tidbits:

• 48 hour cancellation policy
  • Full payment required at booking
I hope this helps :)

Why did you say that about Highway i the sky ? what were your CONS ?

Wondering if I should try to go see the fireworks from here in April. Have a huge fear of elevators and going up more than say the 4-6th floors but I wonder if I should try?

Why did you say that about Highway i the sky ? what were your CONS ?

I dont know what the posters cons were, but I just did HitS for the second time two weeks ago, and we loved it. It was my mom-72, my dd-25 and myself-52. Different generations and all would do it again.

I was up there Friday night( my first time) there were 2 small fenced in areas at each end, left and right as you face the lounge from outside. Small crowd at fireworks time but not bad. The family really enjoyed it. Bartender could use a little personality though.

It seems going forward access to TotW will be classified as a membership extra:
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/dvc-direct-vs-resale/
and/or not available to those who purchase resale.
That's the way I read the chart as well. We purchased direct, but my question is will these resale rules go into effect for those purchasing resale from a certain date, another words, members that purchased resale prior to the changes will be "grandfathered"?

Wondering if I should try to go see the fireworks from here in April. Have a huge fear of elevators and going up more than say the 4-6th floors but I wonder if I should try?
You really should try it. The fireworks are so beautiful from up there.:cheer2: Here's the way I try to think of it, if you don't like it, you won't do it again. ::yes::

I ask if it was paid for by MF because I didn’t like the blackout dates if we all paid. I was specifically told no it is not that it receives no money from the owners directly and is supported by Disney and relies on the food and drink revenue.

Also I was under the impression it was a membership extra so could be taken away at anytime.

That chart has read like that for a few months. The Epcot lounge isn't listed there, and I'm wondering if it's just another Disney IT typo/glitch. TOTW is listed directly on my current "white resale membership card" as a benefit, as well as on my membership extras page. No issues going up last month with a resale card.

I think it was a typo too and probably was supposed to be the Epcot Lounge which does not permit resale purchased after April 2016 members. DVC wants more members to use TOTWL to make it viable. Limiting resale members would reduce the number people using the lounge.

The economics of TOTW as "fully supported by food/beverage" don't work if you restrict it. They learned that early on when it was BLT owners only allowed.

I wouldn't be surprised if this Wave package eventually opens up to the general public. I know when I was a non-member I would have been likely to pay that money to check it out and have a drink or two in a place I could otherwise not get to.

I think it was a typo too and probably was supposed to be the Epcot Lounge which does not permit resale purchased after April 2016 members. DVC wants more members to use TOTWL to make it viable. Limiting resale members would reduce the number people using the lounge.

The economics of TOTW as "fully supported by food/beverage" don't work if you restrict it. They learned that early on when it was BLT owners only allowed.
Unfortunately it seems that if Disney takes something that was free and bundles it as a dining package or some other kind of “extra” and charges through the nose, people will book it en masse. The only exception I can think of that backfiring is Reunion Station. And honestly, had it not had limited hours, people probably would have lined up for that, too.

They are really trying to kill the resale market so I can see them changing the rules for TOTWL going forward. It wouldn’t be that surprising.

Unfortunately it seems that if Disney takes something that was free and bundles it as a dining package or some other kind of “extra” and charges through the nose, people will book it en masse. The only exception I can think of that backfiring is Reunion Station. And honestly, had it not had limited hours, people probably would have lined up for that, too.

They are really trying to kill the resale market so I can see them changing the rules for TOTWL going forward. It wouldn’t be that surprising.

The big difference here, though, is that the lounge is not free. The drinks cost money, and a good portion of the people up there are buying the drinks. Reunion Station had drinks included in the package. If they had fun Woodsland themed food and drinks for sale, I probably would have swung by and spent $25 to try it out.

The big difference here, though, is that the lounge is not free. The drinks cost money, and a good portion of the people up there are buying the drinks. Reunion Station had drinks included in the package. If they had fun Woodsland themed food and drinks for sale, I probably would have swung by and spent $25 to try it out.
However, people go up mainly for fireworks and most purchase minimal drinks or snacks. If that. So while it isn’t free, it is pretty darn close.

However, people go up mainly for fireworks and most purchase minimal drinks or snacks. If that. So while it isn’t free, it is pretty darn close.

For some, but not all people. Technically the rooftop is paid for by BLT owners anyway. The lounge is self-sufficient. I'm sure there are people who stop in there and don't buy anything, but it's not a large portion of the people who spend time in there. At $15 a drink, they don't need everyone to buy one to pay for itself.

For some, but not all people. Technically the rooftop is paid for by BLT owners anyway. The lounge is self-sufficient. I'm sure there are people who stop in there and don't buy anything, but it's not a large portion of the people who spend time in there. At $15 a drink, they don't need everyone to buy one to pay for itself.
Look at ot from a business standpoint. A group of 4 comes up, maybe spend 20 bucks total. Maybe only one person gets a drink. OR they can charge a fixed price for a meal and require everyone to pay that price to come up. The lounge is not self sufficient, it relies on sales of food and drink. Therefore if not everyone is buying when they come they are losing money. Disney will squeeze every penny they can for such prime real estate. Doesn't matter whether it is DVC or not. The bottom line is that the rooftop lounge is an extra that can go away at any time. And if it is not as profitable as it could be rest assured Disney will find a way to make it profitable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter