Total Disney Newbie. Share your wisdom!!!

morganmf

Earning My Ears
We are a family of 4. I’m planning a trip for tenting at Fort Wilderness. I’m looking between November 2020 and February 2021. We are Canadian but at the time of the trip our boys will be 3 and 4. Thoughts on dates? I’m wanting to avoid Christmas bc I’m thinking it will be more crowded.

I’m undecided/unsure if we should get a meal plan. I’m getting my tickets from undercover tourist so I don’t think a meal plan would be included?

We’re going to drive down. I would like to stay a full week check in on Sunday check out on Sunday. Thinking about spending the last couple days/weekend at the resort.

Can I come back to the resort and go back to the park without a “park hopper option”?

What campsite would you recommend. Privacy isn’t crazy important but i would like to be semi close to the service area and within walking distance to a pool. my husband is really against being right next to water.

Yes it’s camping but, any personal contact with snakes/other wildlife. I’m assuming use common sense and look around/keep your site clean.

Please add any pearls of wisdom you have.

Thank you so much In advance :)

I want to make this trip special for all of us so I can get my husband to come back every/every other year

We are a family of 4. I’m planning a trip for tenting at Fort Wilderness. I’m looking between November 2020 and February 2021. We are Canadian but at the time of the trip our boys will be 3 and 4. Thoughts on dates? I’m wanting to avoid Christmas bc I’m thinking it will be more crowded.

I’m undecided/unsure if we should get a meal plan. I’m getting my tickets from undercover tourist so I don’t think a meal plan would be included?

We’re going to drive down. I would like to stay a full week check in on Sunday check out on Sunday. Thinking about spending the last couple days/weekend at the resort.

Can I come back to the resort and go back to the park without a “park hopper option”?

What campsite would you recommend. Privacy isn’t crazy important but i would like to be semi close to the service area and within walking distance to a pool. my husband is really against being right next to water.

Yes it’s camping but, any personal contact with snakes/other wildlife. I’m assuming use common sense and look around/keep your site clean.

Please add any pearls of wisdom you have.

Thank you so much In advance :)

I want to make this trip special for all of us so I can get my husband to come back every/every other year
The week before Thanksgiving is my personal favorite week for the weather, Christmas decorations, and crowds are lower than the holiday weeks. So in 2020 that would be the week of November 17.

A base ticket will get you into 1 park per day. You can come and go as you like to the one park you pick for that day on just a base ticket. A hopper gets you access to every park. You can hop between them as you like on the same day.

You'll get many different opinions about the meal plan. You can add it to a reservation without tickets. They call it a ticketless package. You have to call in to do this. If you want to do several character meals, then the meal plan may be good for your group. If you would rather not have that many sit down meals, then skip it.

The wildlife I've seen at the fort includes lizards, deer, turkeys, squirrels, squirrels, and more squirrels. I'm sure there are snakes around so just use common sense to leave them alone.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your planning and trip!

We have found with camping, you can do meals at camp, the meal plan is a waste of $ in our opinion, we don't usually eat 3 meals plus snacks a day, besides it doesn't include Margaritas. From G719's list include armadillo's, ducks, heron, snakes and you must also assume alligators in any body of water in Florida.

Plan on nightly trips to the Beach for Magic Kingdom Firework viewing, the pipe the music in from the show, then the Electric water pageant, you kids will love it.

Chip and Dales sing along and movie, pools, etc.

Weather-wise Florida is a funny place. You can go in November and have great weather or HOT weather. In December through February, the weather can be beautiful or COLD. My suggestion, consider some kind of heater, just in case the weather is cold. Example, years ago, we were at Disney during Christmas. The first three days were wonderful. We wore light jackets. Then, the next two days saw temperatures hovering around freezing, and we got out the winter coats and hats. We were just in Disney early/mid-April and the weather was fabulous. However, we did go over Easter, and it was crowded.

Loop 1500 is right across from the Meadows, where you will find a pool, store, campfire, bike barn, fishing pond, and maybe things I've forgotten about. It would be the better of the two loops to walk to the pool.

Even though it gets cold by Florida standards, I see people in the pools year round. I think, being Canadian, you will be warm enough to swim.

With children, I would bring a little electric heater, or electric blankets for your tent, just in case.

Your pass question has already been answered. As far as the week I would pick, it would be the first week of December. Just a personal preference. We went the second week of December for many years, but now we find the first week to be a better time.

Keep your coolers and food in your vehicle, and don't eat in your tent. A nice, clean site will keep critters away.

Last edited:
I’m from Buffalo, so I feel like we’re kindred spirits with the cold. I wouldn’t automatically bring heaters and electric blankets, but you should at least prepare to. The thing that surprised me on my trip in November 2017 was that, even though the actual temperature didn’t go much below 60F at night, it still felt a little chilly! We were absolutely fine with just sleeping bags (although know your temperature rating on your bags... it’s a survival temperature, not a comfort temperature), but I was tucking my pant cuffs into my socks while sitting outside reading at night. That’s why I had to give my bona fides of being from up north; I know the first day above 40F in spring, we’re all wearing shorts and running around like crazy, but at night and with the Florida humidity, it feels different. Basically, I would check the weather before you go, and plan for it to feel 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit colder than you would expect that number to feel for the low temperature at night.

Thank you so much for your advice! Funny bc I grew up off of lake ave in orchard park!!

I’m from Buffalo, so I feel like we’re kindred spirits with the cold. I wouldn’t automatically bring heaters and electric blankets, but you should at least prepare to. The thing that surprised me on my trip in November 2017 was that, even though the actual temperature didn’t go much below 60F at night, it still felt a little chilly! We were absolutely fine with just sleeping bags (although know your temperature rating on your bags... it’s a survival temperature, not a comfort temperature), but I was tucking my pant cuffs into my socks while sitting outside reading at night. That’s why I had to give my bona fides of being from up north; I know the first day above 40F in spring, we’re all wearing shorts and running around like crazy, but at night and with the Florida humidity, it feels different. Basically, I would check the weather before you go, and plan for it to feel 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit colder than you would expect that number to feel for the low temperature at night.
Just like hot temperatures you need to look at the humidity levels. I live in the fog belt(high humidity) near San Francisco. 54 degreess is COLD. When I head up to Tahoe it doesn't really feel cold cold until it's about 30 degrees.

I will also add my mom grew up in Michigan and when she moved to San Francisco she said she froze the first year she was here. She said it was a cold that gets in your bones.

I'm heading to WDW in December and I'm trying to decide how cold it's really going to be. I feel like it should be similar to our winters - but could be short weather one day and jackets and scarfs the next. I think my plan is going to be to pack fleece lined leggings & a packable down coat in case it gets cold cold in the evening.

For my first trip with 3 and 4 year olds, i wouldn't purchase the dining plan. I would however book a couple of character ADRs.. those are great for the little ones IMO.

We have been during christmas time a few times and its insanely busy, even the first few weeks of Jan are insane. I would look at Feb... the weather is often nice during the day but it can get cold at night so bring a heater... If your gonna spend a few days at the Fort vs going to the Park, you might want to rent a golf cart for those days. Even if your close to the amenities, its still nice to explore the Fort on the golf cart...

The 30 doller heaters on amazon put out a lot of heat, if you think you need one, just be careful they dont tip over. Maybe put it in a milk crate, on top of another one? Use the crates to pack and when umpacked they can make a nightstand for the heater? I know some use electric blankets when camping in cold weather.

I enjoy the dining plan as a mom. I am the main cook always in my family. It allows me to have a break without having to think too hard. If we paid OOP I would be more likely to beat myself up over "I could have made something cheaper." I know it is all in my head.

We used to do the table service when it was free quiet often. When we were in our RV and could not get the table free, we did the counter service plan and ate breakfast in the RV.

Now we only do the counter service and book a table 1 or 2 times (I will pay with Disney gift card).

Our trip this December will be the first time having the option of an alcoholic drink. It will be interesting to see how that goes!

I enjoy the dining plan as a mom. I am the main cook always in my family. It allows me to have a break without having to think too hard. If we paid OOP I would be more likely to beat myself up over "I could have made something cheaper." I know it is all in my head.

We used to do the table service when it was free quiet often. When we were in our RV and could not get the table free, we did the counter service plan and ate breakfast in the RV.

Now we only do the counter service and book a table 1 or 2 times (I will pay with Disney gift card).

Our trip this December will be the first time having the option of an alcoholic drink. It will be interesting to see how that goes!

Pro tip, practice saying "margarita", before ordering a second margarita

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter