Tortola - What and Why?

Mitura

Mouseketeer
We are taking our cruise this Thanksgiving on the Fantasy, which is an Eastern itinerary.

Our question is Tortola, what to do? Looking thru the threads it seems a big recommendation is Jost Van Dyke beach. Well we watched some You Tube videos on JVD beach and it seems like - 45 minute boat ride - 2 hours on beach - and then 45 minutes back. The videos show a beach with a very popular bar and that the beach then turns into a party beach.

So am I wrong about this beach? I guess we are so used to CC that any other beach pales in comparison.

Now if we don't do JVD what is a second recommendation for Tortola? Is Tortola an island that we can just go around and sight see on our own or is there something we are missing?

I guess another question is why is Tortola a Disney stop? We have done numerous Western cruises so we know that Cozumel has beaches, bars, excursions, ruins, Grand Cayman has beaches, sightseeing, turtle farm, Stingray City, Jamaica also has tons of stuff. So what is the great attraction of Tortola? When I Trip Advisor Tortola I see some secluded beaches and a cutsey bar here and there but that is it.

So in doing our pre-cruise homework we are leaning towards not doing JVD and just walking around town then getting back on the boat and spending the day on board with no one else around. (This is what we do when we go to Jamaica on the western cruises).

Thanks for your replies!
Joe

There are about 16 options right now for Tortola...there might be more coming as your cruise gets closer however and more repair is done to the island.

There are a couple of beach and sightseeing tours, a 4X4 Jeep drive, private tours with car and driver, a forest walk and beach, island and beach break, a ziplining experience and a snorkeling tour. Also I think I saw a Catamaran experience in addition to the Baths and Jost.

If you go with an outside company like Shoretrips, they have a couple of volunteer experiences but nothing else at this time for the September cruise I am going on.

I guess another question is why is Tortola a Disney stop?

I think one reason is to offer a switch-up in their ports of call since lots of DCL cruisers are repeat cruisers. They have to introduce some new ports. My understanding is that Tortola is a lovely island, but I know they suffered very extensive damage during Hurricane Irma. Initial reports were that parts of the island were completely destroyed.

I've never been to Tortola and have not booked an excursion for our upcoming Fantasy sailing in a few weeks. I figure we will get off the ship and shop around a bit to help the economy a little. Ships were not even stopping there until pretty recently due to the devastation dealt to the island by Irma. :sad1:

We are going in early November - stopping at Tortola and St. Thomas (first time for both ports). I wanted to do one snorkel excursion on our trip. After reading reviews on these boards and other websites, we decided to book an all-day trip with Aristocrat Charters out to Norman Island and The Indians. I knew I would only get one day of port activities out of my husband. It looked like St. Thomas might be easier to casually sight-seeing/shopping than Tortola since the hurricane so I chose Tortola for my big excursion day.

The baths at Virgin Gorda were what was recommended to us for our upcoming trip.

I agree with southerngirl1528, it was probably added to change things up. Going to the same place every time can turn people off to going back. Personally, I don't care that much where we go. I'd be fine staying on the boat in some places, such as Nassau. Been there, done that. Disney does get a cut of the excursions, so mixing it up does increase their profit.

Another factor is the fees the port charges. All of the cruise lines can try to negotiate with the ports to get the fees as low as they can. If Tortola offered them a discount to go there instead of one of the other ports, they may take it to keep their costs down. Some of this is passed on to us, some of it isn't.

We are planning to take Speedy's ferry over to Virgin Gorda to tour the Baths. I'm sure there are nice beaches to visit on Tortola but I've not researched them for myself.

In my experience, the Disney excursions don't leave you much time to enjoy the destination. BVI is safe so we are going it on our own to have more time.

it was probably added to change things up. Going to the same place every time can turn people off to going back. Personally, I don't care that much where we go. I'd be fine staying on the boat in some places, such as Nassau. Been there, done that. Disney does get a cut of the excursions, so mixing it up does increase their profit.

Agree on all points! :cutie:

Guess I'm an oddball, but we rarely book excursions when cruising. Like VTNuke said, we've been to Nassau so many times, if I had a cruise stopping there, I would just enjoy the ship. We booked excursions on the Alaska cruise far more than anywhere else we personally have sailed. I booked private excursions on the Hawaii cruise as I knew what I wanted and did not want to adhere to a group excursion's choices.

I'm assuming there are at least a few shops and cafes open that are within walking distance of the ship for us to browse. That is likely as far as we will venture this trip. The Baths sound cool, but we have spa bookings for Tortola Day, so I shall save the Baths for a future cruise. The photos i've seen of the Baths are really lovely. :sunny:

We are going in early Oct. I wish we were going somewhere else, frankly. I booked the Baths excursion - thought it would be nice to experience that and the beach since we've never been there. . . maybe they'll be some unique shopping. I admit, I like ports that are a little more 'touristy' so I can get a shot glass and a t-shirt :)

We are going in early Oct. I wish we were going somewhere else, frankly. I booked the Baths excursion - thought it would be nice to experience that and the beach since we've never been there. . . maybe they'll be some unique shopping. I admit, I like ports that are a little more 'touristy' so I can get a shot glass and a t-shirt :)

The Baths are supposed to be gorgeous, you will likely have a very good time! As for shopping, I'll bet you will have NO problem finding a tee shirt you like and that shot glass! And no doubt the folks of Tortola will be thrilled to have us there spending some money. :cutie:

The Baths are supposed to be gorgeous, you will likely have a very good time! As for shopping, I'll bet you will have NO problem finding a tee shirt you like and that shot glass! And no doubt the folks of Tortola will be thrilled to have us there spending some money. :cutie:

yep. We always get off in every port - even Nassau (my son likes the Fish sandwich from McDonalds in Nassau - they put pickled jalepenos on it :) )

need a way to get to JVD that isn't the TT14 or paying for a private water taxi. I need more then 2 hours for drinking pain killers.

Thank you all for your replies. I did see Disney's offerings. And I did take a look at the Gorda Baths via You Tube and Trip Advisor. I guess besides Gorda Baths and JVD what else is there to do at Tortola? So also feeding into this conversation is the fact that the cost is ~$80 per person (there are 4 of us) and there is a ~40 min boat ride before and after. And while in St Thomas we are going to Maegens Bay (a beach) and then CC. So is there something else in Tortola that isn't a beach? What else would I get off the boat for? For example during the Western itin we get off at Jamaica and walk around the little shopping area and then spend the rest of the day on the boat. Is there a comparable area like this in Tortola?

We regularly do not do Disney excursions while on the Western itineraries. So going off the beaten path is no problem. But I really don't want to pay more than $100 per person for an excursion, regardless of either Disney or private company.

Thank you!
Joe

And I did take a look at the Gorda Baths via You Tube and Trip Advisor. I guess besides Gorda Baths and JVD what else is there to do at Tortola?

Snorkeling. There are private excursions as well, like Aristocat Charters are quite good.

Is there a comparable area like this in Tortola?

Some of it has been rebuilt, but not all of it. I think Pusser's Rum has reopened, for instance, but the island has been in really rough shape and rebuild is slow. I wouldn't count on much outside of the excursion routes to be in hospitable shape.

The VI in general - both BVI and USVI - are really beach destinations. BVI is also noted for its yachting and boating.

We are taking our cruise this Thanksgiving on the Fantasy, which is an Eastern itinerary.

Our question is Tortola, what to do? Looking thru the threads it seems a big recommendation is Jost Van Dyke beach. Well we watched some You Tube videos on JVD beach and it seems like - 45 minute boat ride - 2 hours on beach - and then 45 minutes back. The videos show a beach with a very popular bar and that the beach then turns into a party beach.

So am I wrong about this beach? I guess we are so used to CC that any other beach pales in comparison.

Now if we don't do JVD what is a second recommendation for Tortola? Is Tortola an island that we can just go around and sight see on our own or is there something we are missing?

I guess another question is why is Tortola a Disney stop? We have done numerous Western cruises so we know that Cozumel has beaches, bars, excursions, ruins, Grand Cayman has beaches, sightseeing, turtle farm, Stingray City, Jamaica also has tons of stuff. So what is the great attraction of Tortola? When I Trip Advisor Tortola I see some secluded beaches and a cutsey bar here and there but that is it.

So in doing our pre-cruise homework we are leaning towards not doing JVD and just walking around town then getting back on the boat and spending the day on board with no one else around. (This is what we do when we go to Jamaica on the western cruises).

Thanks for your replies!
Joe

If you are ok to DIY, I highly recommend Aristocat Charters! They are INCREDIBLE and you get a day of sailing, snorkeling, time to SUP and swim in a secluded cove. We pick the Eastern itinerary for this stop!! I grew up on the water in S FL and this company is the BEST!! Scott is wonderful to work with too! I pasted his information below. Cheers!

https://aristocatcharters.com

Scott Meyers
Aristocat Charters
British Virgin Islands
www.aristocatcharters.com
(284) 499-1249
Please visit our website to Check Availability & Book Online!

Last edited:
We are going in early November - stopping at Tortola and St. Thomas (first time for both ports). I wanted to do one snorkel excursion on our trip. After reading reviews on these boards and other websites, we decided to book an all-day trip with Aristocrat Charters out to Norman Island and The Indians. I knew I would only get one day of port activities out of my husband. It looked like St. Thomas might be easier to casually sight-seeing/shopping than Tortola since the hurricane so I chose Tortola for my big excursion day.

You will LOVE this choice!! We pick the eastern itinerary for this stop!! We were going to sail with him again on our July 28th cruise, but our cruise got switched to St. Maarten. Luckily Scott knew of Random Wind in St. Maarten and we were able to book with them! Aristocat is an INCREDIBLE day excursion!! ENJOY!! Cheers!

We went to Tortola on MSC cruise pre-hurricane so ymmv. There's shopping "center" at the pier then it's a pretty long walk to get to the city center. It's pretty easy to get a taxi right from the end of the pier. The best beaches are on the other side of the island and it's quite a ride up over the mountain to get there - scenic, lots of switchbacks, etc. You don't need an excursion to get to the beaches. The taxis drivers on the island are pretty well networked so if something happens to the driver who is supposed to pick you up, there should be no issues hooking up with another driver. They know when to be around for you to head back to the pier. We did not go to the Gorda Baths because our party included one bad knee. The Baths for all the uniqueness require some firm footing and ability to climb a bit. If you go to the forums on Trip Advisor, you can get lots of good info about Tortola and that will help you decide on the best excursion.

Thanks to the original poster for asking about Tortola. I appreciated learning about Aristocat (thumbs up) and also about the Virgin Gorda Baths I have heard so much about. This prompted me to look on YouTube. YIKES! I am so claustrophobic I almost had a panic attack watching the video of the guy going between those rocks. I know now that won’t ever be an excursion on my list LOL!

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter