Tortola Baths Excursion

wlee7

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
I am contemplating doing the Tortola Tour to Virgin Gorda excursion. My wife and I will be going with my parents on the cruise. Is this excursion considered strenuous? Can someone describe the excursion? My parents are getting up in age and I wouldn't want them to be slipping on rocks at the Baths National Park and hurting themselves.

thanks,
Will

Quite a few you tube videos will help you understand the physical needs of the trip.

Whether your parents can manage the climbing, etc is a difficult call. I was 54 at the time I went in 2016 and somewhat overweight. I had no problems although I went very slowly.

One additional concern: how did the hurricanes impact the baths? Since Disney hasn't returned, I don't think we know how close the baths of today match the youtube videos

It is an amazing place and the beach at the end is spectacular! We brought a string bag with bags of chips and uncrustables (in their packages) and bottles of water for a terrific picnic and swim

Good luck!

If the tour drops you at the top, there is a fairly significant set of steps to get down to the entrance of the boulders. Once "inside" the boulders themselves the conditions range from walking in sand, walking in water and climbing up rope ladders. As with anything wet, there can be several slippery areas. I am not trying to dissuade you and of course you know the condition of your folks better than us, but if they are not very mobile of there is a health concern over a potential fall, it might not be a great experience.
On the other hand, if they get there and find they cannot continue, there is a restaurant at the top of the steps with a great view.

I took this tour 2 yrs ago with my 60+ parents. It was amazingly beautiful, but it is an active excursion. We all made it to the entrance just fine. Then, my stepmother decided to stay at the beach area at a picnic table in the shade ("to rest her knees"). After that, I was the slowest, an accident prone 40 yr old. So, you certainly don't need to be an Olympic athlete to enjoy the park, but seriously consider mobility issues.

Quite a few you tube videos will help you understand the physical needs of the trip.

Whether your parents can manage the climbing, etc is a difficult call. I was 54 at the time I went in 2016 and somewhat overweight. I had no problems although I went very slowly.

One additional concern: how did the hurricanes impact the baths? Since Disney hasn't returned, I don't think we know how close the baths of today match the youtube videos

It is an amazing place and the beach at the end is spectacular! We brought a string bag with bags of chips and uncrustables (in their packages) and bottles of water for a terrific picnic and swim

Good luck!
Thanks I'll check out the video.

If the tour drops you at the top, there is a fairly significant set of steps to get down to the entrance of the boulders. Once "inside" the boulders themselves the conditions range from walking in sand, walking in water and climbing up rope ladders. As with anything wet, there can be several slippery areas. I am not trying to dissuade you and of course you know the condition of your folks better than us, but if they are not very mobile of there is a health concern over a potential fall, it might not be a great experience.
On the other hand, if they get there and find they cannot continue, there is a restaurant at the top of the steps with a great view.

Hmm sounds a little strenuous. I'll see if they want to do it. Thanks for the info.

I took this tour 2 yrs ago with my 60+ parents. It was amazingly beautiful, but it is an active excursion. We all made it to the entrance just fine. Then, my stepmother decided to stay at the beach area at a picnic table in the shade ("to rest her knees"). After that, I was the slowest, an accident prone 40 yr old. So, you certainly don't need to be an Olympic athlete to enjoy the park, but seriously consider mobility issues.
That is a possibility. If my parents can't handle it they at least have somewhere to go. Thanks for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter