Toronto and beyond

Frwinkley

DIS Veteran
Having already travelled to Niagara Falls, Montreal and Quebec, we are more interested in spending a week in Toronto (and nearby surrounding areas) next summer. We will be driving from Pittsburgh, PA, so it's an easy 5-6 hr. drive. We've also already spent time in Kingston, as well as the Thousand Islands area as part of our Quebec trip.

Realizing we won't need the car for exploring the city, where's the most affordable and reasonable locations to leave our car for a few days? I'd rather not pay $50 a day to park it at the hotel.

What areas are worth exploring beyond the city's limits (maybe within a 2 hr drive)? We enjoy hiking, nice scenery, shopping, etc. and are avid photographers.

Thank you!

Could you maybe look at finding an air b n b that has a parking space? Not sure if those exist but maybe worth checking.

Maybe there’s a long stay car park out by the airport that might be good value? The airport has a great train service to downtown Toronto called the UP Express that you could make use of in that instance.

I’m actually awful for car info because I live downtown but I can tell you that it’s very easy to get to places within the city either walking or using public transit.

I would definitely add the CN tower to your list. Everywhere I go in the world, I love going up their highest building. It’s a great way to see the city. Also near there is Steam Whistle brewery which does brewery tours, and then the aquarium, the Rec Room (bar and restaurant) and the train museum are down there too.

Depending on the time of year, a trip to the island is a great way to spend the day and you get an amazing view of the city sky line from the ferry boat there and back.

I love the distillery district for wandering because it’s very pretty and has cute shops and nice food too.

The AGO and the ROM are also great. For both adults and kids.

Parking is always gonna get you in Toronto. I don't think there are many cheap overnight spots but check out parkopedia (sp?) to get options.

Near Toronto for nature and shopping I'd say check out Elora Gorge near Guelph and St Jacobs market near Waterloo. I've heard there are several waterfalls near the other Steeltown, Hamilton, but I've never been.

The airport idea is good. I have left me car at the Burlington Go station for a weekend but wouldn’t do it for any other length.
Instead of just going up the CN Tower, plan lunch. The food is good and includes your trip up and viewing after.
For nature, there are tones of inner city green space. The Brickworks and Lower Don are great for exploring as is the Leslie St Spit.
What are your other interests? Toronto has something for everyone

Leave the car at my house and take the GO train in...lol.
But for touring the city, and we still do it when we want to revisit a number of sites. Get the CIty Pass. www.citypass.com/toronto
It will get you all the big sites everyone has talked about, plus the Zoo.
For walking about, check out Queen st. ride the street car to the Beaches in the east.
Head over to the Island for the day, great look at the city from there.
Check the dates your coming into town, always lots of festivals, going on. So either you want to get caught up in one of them or avoid then due to the crowds.
Baseball game, buy cheap from the scalpers outside.
Lots to do just depends on what your interested.
Micro beer tours, yum.

I live a couple of hours from Toronto but I’ll try to help. Aside from what others have suggested, Stratford is beautiful and not too far. The festival has a variety of plays and musicals and runs spring to fall. There is also theatre in St Jacob’s (popular farmers’s market town) as someone else mentioned.
If you like hockey apparently the Hockey Hall of Fame is a fun spot. The Zoo is impressive and Canada’s Wonderland is another option if you like amusement parks.
I don’t think any of the GO train parking lots are geared to overnight parking. I think the idea of the cheaper airport lots is a good one. There is an UP train (I’ve never used it) that goes from YYZ to downtown that would be worth looking into. It would be worth looking at the GreenP municipal lots to save on parking downtown.
If you are a foodie check out Bannock. Great restaurant near the Eaton Centre.

You never checked out Ottawa on your trip to Montreal, 1000 Islands, etc? Lots to see and do here.

Another option within 2 hours of Toronto is the Wasaga Beach / Collingwood area...if you would enjoy a nice day at the beach Wasaga Beach is a great place. Collingwood has the Scenic Caves and hiking trails and the village of Blue Mountains has great shopping...the area might be worth a trip depending on how much time you have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter