Top Chef Season 16 - Kentucky - discussion?

Episode 7, Jan 17, 2019
Oh goodness. It seemed like most of the cheftestants were wasting a lot of meat.
I've never had steak tartare. That said, I thought the tartare on last night's episode looked just awful. I was not surprised the judges had little positive to say about the dishes.

Two of the guest judges, Nancy Silverton and Dario Cecchini were featured on an episode of I'll Have What Phil's Having. (I think it's still available on Netflix-- Season 01 Episode 02.)

Last edited:
I've had steak tartar before and I never thought it looked like dog food. The ones last night looked like dog food.

I think that the right chef went home and that no one really cherished the meat in the ways that they should. I thought it was funny that the judges wanted meat on a bone that they could gnaw on and that no one gave them that.

Oh my word!

What an episode. Disappointed dad Tom is the worst. How did they all miss the mark by so much?

Eddie is a great surprise. Humble and endearing and Uber talented. I didn’t want to like him given his relationship with Nick (not to mention lamb issue) but he’s awesome. I’m rooting for him.

Didn’t love the beginning when they were toasting Brother’s elimination. Love the season 16 solidarity and not a Brother fan but they all want the title and most will go through Last Chance Kitchen and no need to be jerks.

I watched LCK and Brother wasn't on it, I know Tom said "we will see you again on LCK".
I'm wondering if he walked away after being cut so quickly.
I watched episode 7 LCK to see if he was there and it was a re-run of episode 1, (OnDemand)

I watched LCK and Brother wasn't on it, I know Tom said "we will see you again on LCK".
I'm wondering if he walked away after being cut so quickly.
I watched episode 7 LCK to see if he was there and it was a re-run of episode 1, (OnDemand)

See if this works.

Not a fan of this group of chefs. I'm not finding them very likeable.

I’ve surprised myself and have become a big fan of Eddie. I’m really rooting for him. He seems quite talented and I find his awkwardness, anxiety and self-deprecating humor very charming. But the rest I feel fairly neutral about.

Well, can’t say the latest elimination was a shock. I sometimes wonder about these challenges where it is about more than the food, in this case- throwing a good party. Anyone have any favorites at this point? Or on the other hand, people they’re ready to see pack their knives?

Eddie is a great surprise. Humble and endearing and Uber talented. I didn’t want to like him given his relationship with Nick (not to mention lamb issue) but he’s awesome. I’m rooting for him.

I couldn't remember who Nick was, so I looked him up and I while I don't remember him that well, I don't remember disliking him. Can you refresh my memory -- was he an unlikable contestant?

Did y'all see that Fatima Ali died? Absolutely heartbreaking.

https://people.com/food/top-chef-fatima-ali-dead-bone-cancer/

Oh, and I'm waiting for any week now for them to have former contestant Ed Lee on since he was based out of Louisville for years and I know he has at least one restaurant there.

I couldn't remember who Nick was, so I looked him up and I while I don't remember him that well, I don't remember disliking him. Can you refresh my memory -- was he an unlikable contestant?

Did y'all see that Fatima Ali died? Absolutely heartbreaking.

https://people.com/food/top-chef-fatima-ali-dead-bone-cancer/

Ah, Nick. There was a group challenge. He had immunity from a quickfire win but made this awful bird’s nest dessert thing. His team expressed concern about it but he basically said “don’t worry, I know what I’m doing” and wouldn’t take their feedback. Their team wound up on the bottom due to that dish (judges said so) and Jacques Pepin even straight up asked if he was going to be ok letting a team member go home for a good dish when his was so awful and the reason they lost. To which he replied that he thought he had done well enough in the quickfire to earn immunity. It’s the game and he did have immunity but he didn’t even seem to feel badly about it (could have been the way it was edited) and it just left a bad impression. In general he was kinda whiny and cocky. Lots of people also feel he didn’t deserve to win in the end. It’s been a while so maybe I’ll rewatch and who knows, could feel differently. His restaurant in Philly (at which Eddie is exec chef) gets rave reviews.

So, so sad about Fati. Bon Appetit magazine posted this essay that was to have run in the March issue. She had an amazing spirit and so many dreams. Heartbreaking.

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/fatima-ali-died-cancer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!