Top 20 DVC Tips from a 20 year member

8. It is much better to borrow points than bank them

Curious why it is considered better to borrow points than to bank them?

This is not a hard recommendation for everyone as if you only have 50 points, it may not apply, but if you have 2,500 points, then it is very important. Because points ultimately have an expiration date and even a situation like covid proves that sometimes you get caught with your pants down and will lost points. Even without covid, it is better to burn all your current points ASAP and then borrow from next year so you and never forced into using or losing points.

Or don't take them for free and charge them. Don't judge others for their choices.

I have, and frankly, it would have been less bother than me telling a renter - "yeah, no refunds, its in the contract."

Of course you will know if you don't like a DVC resort if you don't stay there. If you know yourself and your own tastes, you can make that determination for yourself without ever wasting your Disney time and the drop dead ugly and far too point expensive for no benefit over my BWV points Riviera. Variety may be the spice of YOUR life. It isn't everyone's cup of tea (and frankly, if it IS your cup of tea, why are you a DVC member, there are a million other places in the world to visit? Go on a REAL African safari. See the REAL Eiffel Tower. I get my variety through international travel - at Disney I want the same easy vacation)

Yeah, not an Oahu person. Actually not a Hawaii person. If I'm flying that far, I'm going to Tahiti or Bali or Thailand....or to visit friends in Taiwan.

Don't stress over use year BUT be very aware of it and the risks of traveling after your banking deadline.

I have a June UY and don't travel in spring because I'm past my banking and any change of plans could and likely would, result in point loss for me. Now that my kids are older I want to travel in spring and might pick up a small contract in a different UY just for this purpose.

My tip is to never use DVC points for a DCL cruise, rent them out and use that money to pay cash for the cruise.

I think it can be broaden to "never use DVC points for anything other than DVC villas."

LAX

I think it can be broaden to "never use DVC points for anything other than DVC villas."

I am not against using DVC points for the DCL (not good value) or other things, BUT the real value only rests in using points for DVC resorts and anything else simple is not financially beneficial.

That was covered in my tip
17. Use DVC points to stay at DVC resorts and minimize using them for anything else

I usually run with banked points not because I couldn't spend them all but because I like to know I have extra points for that big family vacation in the GV that is sure to come. Or the two bedroom villa when only one child and family is joining us. This coming January we are going for two weeks in one bedroom SV @ BWV and one week in one bedroom at VB. I could have book two weeks at BWV in a BW view room and spend all my points but I just like to have those extra points available knowing that at some point we will be doing a large family vacation in a GV. I just don't like to be in the borrowing mode, I like to know I have enough points for the following year with no issues. (Of course I could always buy more points ::yes:: but my DH isn't on board with that :sad2:, at least not yet...the right deal hasn't been found...;) :thumbsup2:tink:

I agree with trying out new resorts when they first open or soon after. I have found it’s easier to book at 7 months at that time. I’m guessing it’s because fewer points have been sold than have been allocated at the time.

I agree with trying out new resorts when they first open or soon after. I have found it’s easier to book at 7 months at that time. I’m guessing it’s because fewer points have been sold than have been allocated at the time.

Correct. I have stayed at grand openings starting with BCV and it is always easiest to book on the first day of availability for new resorts as there are very few owners then

Correct. I have stayed at grand openings starting with BCV and it is always easiest to book on the first day of availability for new resorts as there are very few owners then
Great idea! We bought at SSR in 2009, and have stayed in the new resorts, except for the Poly, but not at opening. We have waited Until a few months later. It would be fun to go to a “grand opening!”

Great idea! We bought at SSR in 2009, and have stayed in the new resorts, except for the Poly, but not at opening. We have waited Until a few months later. It would be fun to go to a “grand opening!”

Sadly, they really don't make a big deal about it. I was the first to stay in a Treehouse Villa and you would think it was just another day, but they did allow me in early, like 10am or so.

I've learned never buy in at a resort until I've stayed there. While I absolutely love the AK resort and we try to eat at least one meal there every trip, we thought the rooms at Jambo were a little dark and didn't like hanging out in them. Before our stay, I'd considered buying a small contract there.

I've learned never buy in at a resort until I've stayed there. While I absolutely love the AK resort and we try to eat at least one meal there every trip, we thought the rooms at Jambo were a little dark and didn't like hanging out in them. Before our stay, I'd considered buying a small contract there.

Buy where you want to stay is rule #1 for a reason!

Agreed, but I actually enjoyed every DVC resorts, for different reasons, but like BLT and VGF best

I would NEVER treat family to a free stay. I don't like my family enough.
I could see treating my own children and their children (when they are grown enough to have children) but why in the world would I treat other family members? Would you randomly buy them a vacation anywhere else? To each is to own but nobody should feel bad for charging friends and family to use their vacation points.

I could see treating my own children and their children (when they are grown enough to have children) but why in the world would I treat other family members? Would you randomly buy them a vacation anywhere else? To each is to own but nobody should feel bad for charging friends and family to use their vacation points.
We bought them specifically to share. We anticipate that probably 2/3 of our trips will be with friends or family.

I've been the benefactor of a family member with DVC points and I thought it was a blast. We talked a dozen times about how neat it'd be to do that for others. We like to stay in nicer places and can afford it, not everyone else can. I think DVC offers an ability to do this without creating awkwardness or some expectation of repayment.

Do give you an example, I had a family member one time that wasn't going to make it back for thanksgiving due to the cost of a flight and, if they drove, they'd have needed to get a hotel. So I called and offered to book a hotel at the halfway point using credit card points. Now, like all credit card points they could have been used as a statement credit. So there was functionally no difference between this and paying for their room in cash. And yet, if I'd have just offered them $125 cash to book a hotel room I know it'd have created awkwardness.

To each their own, obviously, and I also realize there's a big difference between someone with 150 points and someone with 1,000, but we still plan on taking vacations with just our family, so the idea of brining people along to disney properties sounds like a lot of fun to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!