Too young to eat alone?

Not a problem at all

By the time my kids were 14 they were eating out with friends all the time!

I think it would be find. My 14 year old daughter and her friend [also 14] went to Beaches and Cream alone on our last trip while my husband and I had drinks at Abracadabra bar. Just teach them in advance how the receipt will look and how to add the tip. You should be able to look at the menu prices and anticipate about how much they would need to tip or i am sure their cell phones have an app!. :)

I'll just chime in to agree with everyone else! Especially given the WDW park rules where 14 year olds can enter on their own or accompany younger children, I can't imagine the restaurant would have an issue with it. My DS10 would LOVE to do this!

Disney is the place to do this! What a wonderful experience for them. I too would enjoy sitting at the next table!

Just a thought - if you think it would stress them out to have handle the payment and tip, you could drop them off in person ask the waitstaff to scan your MB for payment and tip right at the start. We often pay and tip up front at PPO breakfasts because we want to make sure we can dash out quickly at the end to get on a ride before the rope droppers.

Back in my day in New Orleans.... When I was 12 they used to drop us off at the Ponchartrain Beach amusement park for the day and when night time came we would take the crosstown bus to the Canal St Ferry. Call our parents on a pay phone and they would pick us up on the Algiers side. And this was during a time of racial tensions.

No your kids are not too young to handle this. The younger they start the better off they will be later on.

:offtopic: Ah, I remember those days. Taking the bus downtown to go shopping at DH Holmes or MB, having lunch at Woolworth.

:offtopic: Ah, I remember those days. Taking the bus downtown to go shopping at DH Holmes or MB, having lunch at Woolworth.

Jingle jangle jingle - Here comes Mr. Bingle. Rosenberg's Rosenberg's 1825 Tulane....

We allowed our kids to eat one meal on their own at WDW at about the same age. They loved being on their own and they were able to go to the restaurant of their choice, they picked GG. It's actually become a bit of a tradition for us now, many years later. It gives DH and I a chance for a little alone time and allows the kids to have some sister time.

My kids ate alone (different resort) well before that age. I don't see any issues.

They also order room service alone; did it many times on our cruise!

a few years back I was at Tuttu Italia for lunch and there was a table nearby with three kids. My estimate was two mid teens and a preteen. They were fine. I almost didn't even notice they were alone.

I agree with those saying that this sounds like the perfect situation to give them a bit of independence since you will be right in the same resort and can get to them quite quickly if they needed you for any reason.

I always remind mine of that age that this is an opportunity to show me that they are responsible and trustworthy, and that seems to stick with them when they're doing something like this. They want to keep being allowed that freedom, so they are typically on their best behavior.

Have a great trip!

How young is too young to eat at a table service restaurant like Cape May? Got into a discussion with a friend and we were talking about 2 kids 14 & 11 who are well behaved and know what’s expected of them and even know how to pay and figure out tip. But I wasn’t sure if that is just too young. Keep in mind, parents would be at the hotel, just not in that restaurant. Thoughts?
Hi jaly05, I think this will be great for the kids to get an “adult” experience on the trip.
I’m curious... what will you be doing while the kids are eating supper?

The tip calculation should be easy. WDW table service restaurant receipts typically include recommended amounts for “18% and 20%” tips, based on food and beverage cost and excluding taxes. Why not show them where to find this information when you dine as a family earlier during the trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter