Too tall for rides? Help me put my mind at ease

Hannah nz

Earning My Ears
Hi
Just wondering if it is possible to be too tall to ride safely? And if you are too tall will the cm not let you on the ride?
Not thinking about fitting in the cars/ride restraints but my partner is very worried about hitting his head while riding. He is slim but 200cm or 6 ft 6 tall and pretty flexible.

We have been to DL and other theme parks (Gold Coast in Australia) and he doesn't like roller coasters as he is worried he will be too tall and hit his head during the ride. We have checked height restrictions before and had ride attendants say " oh you should be ok" or even "maybe just duck a bit to be safe" which does not put his mind at ease!
He often scrunches up /slouches on rides due to the fear of hitting his head which is uncomfortable and not really enjoyable.
Please help me put his mind at ease!

My DH is 6 foot 4 inches, so just a tad shorter than your partner. He’s ridden every ride at WDW comfortably. He’s not a fan of Space Mountain, but I’m not sure if that’s because of any height issues or more the overall jerkiness of the WDW version.

My DH is 6 foot 4 inches, so just a tad shorter than your partner. He’s ridden every ride at WDW comfortably. He’s not a fan of Space Mountain, but I’m not sure if that’s because of any height issues or more the overall jerkiness of the WDW version.

Thanks. My DBF told me he didn't like Dl Space Mountain because of the dark and being unable to see the headroom between himself and the ride structure. I guess the dark may make it seem more closed in too.

My husband is 6 ft 5 1/2 inches and he had no issues with any of the rides height-wise both at WDW and Universal. He's got long legs and he's quite skinny. But he did say that as far as rides Space Mountain was just harder to get in and out of because of the seats.

My husband loves roller coasters especially the thrill ones and he's only been on one that he was like "yup I shouldn't have ridden that" but that was at Six Flags New England and he actually was slightly too tall (it was on one of the very few rides I've seen around that had an upper height limit in regards to adult rides versus rides more designed for kids).

6’6” son w/long torso can ride everything, though he doesn’t like Space Mountain because it “feels” like he’s going to hit his head.

I'm 6'6". There is nothing that I can't ride. Getting my legs to contort in unnatural ways is a problem on some rides, but not impossible. Most rides are short enough that the pain doesn't get too severe or complete paralysis set in :thumbsup2. My biggest problem is that being that tall means my center of gravity is much higher than normal - resulting in a serious whip effect on the coasters that plays havoc with my neck (physics has its dark side). I have to hunker down in my seat or I can end up with a migraine.

He's not going to hit his head, but it can feel that way on some rides (he doesn't want to ride Space Mountain with the lights on, for instance)

Steve

My brother is about that tall. Before he has talked about being a little uncomfortable on Space and Splash. He was pretty uncomfortable on RnR. Other than that, he hasn’t had issues.

Last time we were at MK, we were in line for Winnie the Pooh behind the tallest man I’ve ever seen. It was him, his significant other and their 2 kids.

Poor guy couldn’t even sit in the ride without having to turn sideways to accommodate his legs. I can’t imagine he fit on many rides. That has to be a bummer!

(Interestingly his significant other was tiny! She was shorter than me and I’m 5’4”.)

I am 6'6". I have been on all of the rides without issues. On roller coasters i often cross my legs. Winnie the Pooh is a tight fit.

I am 6'4" and my Dad is 6'7". I can still fit on every Disney ride, but some of them are a real tight fit. My Dad can ride everything but Space Mountain on both coasts. Our height is in our legs which causes us to have tightness on some rides. If we ever ride together, there are some rides that we request to be in separate rows and that request is always granted. The only ride I ever duck on is Space Mountain at WDW, because that version of the ride freaks me out. Every other ride should be ok with no need to duck.

My son has ridden Space Mountain at WDW with his arms/hands up and has hit something with his hands. This is the only ride this has happened on.

If he was on the ultra conservative side - space might be low on the list. Although I think the whip lash post mentioned earlier is probably a better reason to pass on it!!

My son is 6'6" and my nephew is 6'8" - they ride everything comfortably. My nephew was NOT able to ride Rip Roaring Rockits at Universal - he was too tall for the restraint to close correctly.

I am 6'6" and have no problems on any ride at WDW. As noted above, Space Mountain is a bit scary because it is dark but no issues. If anyone too tall had ever hit their head on a ride it would have most likely been fatal and widely reported. I am sure that there is a significant margin of safety built into the rides. So unless he is 8ft tall he should have no worries.

I am 6'6" and have no problems on any ride at WDW. As noted above, Space Mountain is a bit scary because it is dark but no issues. If anyone too tall had ever hit their head on a ride it would have most likely been fatal and widely reported. I am sure that there is a significant margin of safety built into the rides. So unless he is 8ft tall he should have no worries.

Lurch. My nickname in elementary school!

Steve

DS is 6'5" and agree with everyone above. He has issues with leg room; Space Mountain, Test Track, ITaSM and 7DMRC.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter