(too much of) The Business Side of Disney

Timmerica

Earning My Ears
On a recent Tuesday episode after a 20+ minute discussion on the Disney/Fox deal Pete said "at the end of the day unless we are shareholders do we give a crap?"

I am a shareholder and the answer is still "no."

I don't tune into the Tuesday show to hear about earnings, buyouts, fiscal years, contract negotiations, divisions of the company etc. While I respectfully think Pete and Charles are somewhat knowledgable in these areas, I'd much rather hear their takes on other topics.

I want to hear about Disney entertainment, parks, and travel (the fun stuff). I can get business news elsewhere.

Does anyone else think they are dedicating too much time discussing business rather than entertainment?

On a recent Tuesday episode after a 20+ minute discussion on the Disney/Fox deal Pete said "at the end of the day unless we are shareholders do we give a crap?"

I am a shareholder and the answer is still "no."

I don't tune into the Tuesday show to hear about earnings, buyouts, fiscal years, contract negotiations, divisions of the company etc. While I respectfully think Pete and Charles are somewhat knowledgable in these areas, I'd much rather hear their takes on other topics.

I want to hear about Disney entertainment, parks, and travel (the fun stuff). I can get business news elsewhere.

Does anyone else think they are dedicating too much time discussing business rather than entertainment?
No I don't think they dedicate enough time to this sometimes. The business side greatly impacts what happens in the parks. If Disney isn't doing as well on the business side that could lead to cuts in the parks. This Fox deal is going to have an impact on spending in the parks. $71 billion doesn't just come out of thin air.

I wouldn't care to see a large amount of "business" news because I am one of those who doesn't really "give a crap". That said, it is interesting to hear the quarterly business recaps as that does tend to affect us as Disney tourists in one way or another.

It’s not like they cut content by talking about the fox deal for 20 minutes. If they didn’t talk about it the episode would have been that much shorter.

Plus, I don’t think changes happen at WDW often enough to feed anweekly news cycle.

I always find it laughable when they say "slow news week" and know a dozen other things (reported on other weekly outlets) occurred. I think it really comes down to the content they actually want to discuss. I also think they need to talk a lot more about park/reservation/resort strategy. There is never a lack of things to discuss.

Last edited:
I always find it laughable when they say "slow news week" and know a dozen other things (reported on other weekly outlets) occurred. I think it really comes down to the content they actually want to discuss. I also think they need to talk a lot more about park/reservation/resort strategy. There is never a lack of things to discuss.
As someone who reports dozens and dozens of news stories on our rumors and news board each week not all stories are the same. Not all stories make for discussion either which is what they are trying to do. A new snack for example is more likely to be a rapid fire than a news item. In the news segment they look for pieces that have some discussion attached to them.

If all they did was talk about parks and resorts and making ADR's and resort reservations, they would (and do) eventually be repeating themselves. How many different ways/times can they discuss which resort has the best pool/lobby/restaurants etc? The business content is relevant and a small portion of the overall discussion. I don't give a crap either, but it's interesting to me in the "I wonder what IP we might see in the parks from this" kind of way.

you can always fast forward.

Speaking as a long time stockholder, I can say that yes, while I'd probably rather usually hear about entertaining stuff than facts/figures/fiduciaries, I think it is important to hear about BOTH, and unfortunately life ain't composed of all fluffy clouds, swirly lollipops, and multicolored unicorns. I will admit that sometimes when they (or anybody I'm watching about anything - even the nightly news) talks more, or more in depth about the business side, or less exciting side of things than I want to hear right then, I may pay less attention.

However - I also think it's my choice to be able to do so, and I wouldn't know I HAD that choice unless I was presented with the options. At least then I'm able to make a somewhat INFORMED choice, that I then own - hope that made sense.

I'm very interested in both the business side and the creative side of Disney. Love that the Podcast covers both.

ETA: I'm a recovering bean counter so I may be a bit more in tune to the business side.

Last edited:
As a listener, I start to glaze over after the very main point of the business discussions. Like, I appreciate hearing things like "Disneyland has a new president" and the ensuing pros or cons to that move, based on that individual's history in other roles in the company. But once they start with in depth analysis of profits and quarterly earnings and acquisitions and buyouts and speculating on the what ifs of those things, I completely tune it out. I'd rather take a wait and see approach to those kinds of news stories rather than hear them go back and forth for 20 minutes on whether or not they will allow IP from R rated content in their parks. It becomes ridiculous at that point.

As a listener, I start to glaze over after the very main point of the business discussions. Like, I appreciate hearing things like "Disneyland has a new president" and the ensuing pros or cons to that move, based on that individual's history in other roles in the company. But once they start with in depth analysis of profits and quarterly earnings and acquisitions and buyouts and speculating on the what ifs of those things, I completely tune it out. I'd rather take a wait and see approach to those kinds of news stories rather than hear them go back and forth for 20 minutes on whether or not they will allow IP from R rated content in their parks. It becomes ridiculous at that point.
Aren’t we listening for their opinions though? I also don’t think those news stories always can take a wait and see approach. Many have immediate impacts on the company.

I think the business stuff needs to be part of the discussion, but I also agree that there needs to be a reasonable balance without it becoming a nerd-fest analyzing all of the numbers and predicting the future effects. The Fox deal is HUGE. Think about it. Disney paid $4 billion for Lucasfilms. They are paying $71 billion for Fox - almost 18 times as much as they spent to get Star Wars. To just brush past that or make a casual comment would be doing all of us listeners a huge disservice. I'm curious to hear what the team thinks about that and how it will affect things going forward as it is probably going to have a huge impact and reshape the company in ways most of us can't even begin to imagine. Just look how much has changed since the Star Wars acquisition, and this is many many times bigger than that.

Aren’t we listening for their opinions though? I also don’t think those news stories always can take a wait and see approach. Many have immediate impacts on the company.

Opinions are one thing, but speculation that goes way too far into things as specific as "will they add a Deadpool meet and greet to the parks" is just silly at this point. I mean, saying that in jest is funny, but serious back and forth debating about it is overkill. Not that they did this on the podcast, but this type of thing is what I find sort of ridiculous, and an example of the type of rabbit hole these discussions tend to go down.

Opinions are one thing, but speculation that goes way too far into things as specific as "will they add a Deadpool meet and greet to the parks" is just silly at this point. I mean, saying that in jest is funny, but serious back and forth debating about it is overkill. Not that they did this on the podcast, but this type of thing is what I find sort of ridiculous, and an example of the type of rabbit hole these discussions tend to go down.
I would agree with that. Obviously a Deadpool character in the parks wouldn’t happen.

I love when they talk about the business side. One of my favourite things about the podcast is how many different things they find to talk about in relation to Disney. I would hate it if they only talked about the parks and park strategy all the time.

I particularly love hearing Charles talk about the business stuff, he seems to have a wealth of knowledge on the subject and I enjoybhearijg his take on these things.

I don't tune into the Tuesday show to hear about earnings, buyouts, fiscal years, contract negotiations, divisions of the company etc.
It's one of the big reasons I do tune in. As many have already said, the financials are the backbone of any business, so knowing what is going on is important again, for reasons mentioned above.

Nope!

I'm very interested in both the business side and the creative side of Disney. Love that the Podcast covers both.
I have to agree with this. I enjoy the mix, though i also could handle a little more business chat.

ETA: I'm a recovering bean counter so I may be a bit more in tune to the business side.
Current bean counter, so my point above is directly related. I work on P&L's, wage reporting and analysis and expense analysis all the live long day, so i'd be super interested in hearing finer details on it.

There was actually an accountant role available in the Disney Australia office not long ago... i didn't apply, not because i didn't want it, but because i love where i work now and know people here who have worked for the mouse and knew that it didnt open doors for me over there or even give me any benefits, so it was better to leave Disney as a passion and hobby rather than work.

I'd still love to see their reporting and understand how they consolidate all of their reporting and how costs get split out etc. But hey, i suppose this:
nerd-fest analyzing all of the numbers
Applies to me.
My name is Princess Jes, and i'm an analyzing nerd!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter