Too Many Unsupervised Kids

We also saw very little of this on our November cruise. In fact, we saw very few teens at all! But, on the other hand, I know that the summer camp my dd attends has a trip for teens (14 and 15 yr olds I believe) on a DCL ship. I'm not sure if they travel on the Magic or the Wonder, but I'd bet they are not the only camp that does this.

When we went in February I didn't notice any children unattended or otherwise unless I went into the clubs. This trip Aug 25th However was a whole different story. On various occassions we encounter large groups of pre teens(9-12 year olds) running around the ship at all hours of day or night( especially looking for Whitney Houston). We alos encountered several children unattended at the Mickey pool(surprisingly. They were running in and out of the pool and into the building. My daughter got the door slammed into her foot by some rough boys who were unattended. I think 8, for the most part, is way to young to be responsible for yourself. I hope disney rethinks this option.I am sorry if you disagree.

We were on the Aug 11 Magic cruise and there were a lot of preteen or youn teenagers pressing all the elevator buttons, running up and down the stairs, etc, but you have to blame the parents not Disney. We took the btidge tour and did see that they can see almost any place on the ship with the video cameras they have. There were alot of kids running around on deck 9 at night and I did occassionally hear a CM ask them to walk but I think they are hesitant to reprimand them. The smaller children never seemed to be a problem.

Blaming the parents is a definite but Disney encourages the freedom of young children by giving them automatic sign out privilege at 10 and allowing the sign out option at 9 and under. I think some children are capable of handling independence in a respectable manner; however, the few disruptive, out-of-control, rude children are not worth the risk of ruining potential return cruisers (obviously, my own opinion). I wrote DCL a letter suggesting they change the sign out options to 10 - 12 with automatic sign out at 13 and up (don't think anything will come of it, though). I also gave my opinion that the risk of liability loss should some child be hurt by another child or adult because of the lack of supervision should make DCL rethink their policy. If someone does get hurt (God forbid), I have a certified/return receipt letter and DCL's nonchalant reply for your legal use.
Good luck to all - going again in July, 2002 (Western - WAHOOOO)

I totally agree with Trishy & disagree withTezb. There is no excuse for Children roaming around halls after midnite,playing on elevators,or being unsupervised(small ones) at the pools etc.. Yes they are on vacation too, but that doesn't give them an excuse to run around and be wild. 12:00 is plenty late enough for any age child to be in. There are entirely too many trusting parents out there, that really don't know what there kids are doing. I am well qualified to speak on this, since I have 2 children 13 & 15. We cruise in Dec. & I plan to monitor them & their activities. It is my responsibility & no one elses . Yes the cruises are expensive, & we should all take heed in remembering That others are on vacation too.:pinkbounc

I wanted to add my 2 cents. While I did not see too much of the unsupervised kids problem (some but not a lot) my complaint is the pounding in the halls, early in the morning and late at night. I know that hallways are sometimes irresistable for running but parents, please remind kids that there are people trying to sleep. Thanks for letting me vent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter