Too Many Hotels, Not Enough Parks

I see it as the same issue as Tron except even more limited. I suspect the demographic at EPCOT skews higher age wise than MK, DHS and AK (probably in that order at this time). So this almost begs the question, is WDW trying to morph EPCOT into a different demographic with this style attraction?

Not sure about that - at d23 they stressed about wanting to make EPCOT more “family” and they did add Frozen recently and are adding Ratatouille which is a family ride and the UK attraction which will likely be a family ride

Not sure about that - at d23 they stressed about wanting to make EPCOT more “family” and they did add Frozen recently and are adding Ratatouille which is a family ride and the UK attraction which will likely be a family ride

Are we seeing marketing leveling across the WDW theme parks? If so, I don't agree with this strategy, if employed, as each theme park resonates with a definable demographic. Cross contamination usually leads to short term gains, with longer terms shortcomings/bankruptcies, based on my limited visibility.

Are we seeing marketing leveling across the WDW theme parks? If so, I don't agree with this strategy, if employed, as each theme park resonates with a definable demographic. Cross contamination usually leads to short term gains, with longer terms shortcomings/bankruptcies, based on my limited visibility.

Disney wants a family to spend as much of their vacation at Disney parks - ideally the entire vacation, never leaving property. So they need each of the parks to feel like they can not be skipped and thus need key attractions in each, and each to appeal to the widest audience. They also don't want families to feel like they have to hit up one park for some members but there is nothing for the other members

Now, that doesn't mean each park should (and can't) have their own vibe and feel and some may appeal to some specific families more than others - but they definitely do not want to market one park to certain demographics only - they want everyone to want to go to each park

I just listened to this week’s podcast and the rumors regarding all of these different hotels going up. With all of these additional rooms going in, won’t this make the parks even more of a crowded mess than they already are now? Yes, there are more attractions on the horizon which should help a little. However, I’m getting claustrophobic just imagining what Main St USA will be like. I would think that nothing short of a 5th gate would help disperse the massive crowds that are already present and the even bigger crowds to come.
I wish they'd shift their focus to the parks. Unfortunately, the resorts are where the money is for them.

Disney wants a family to spend as much of their vacation at Disney parks - ideally the entire vacation, never leaving property. So they need each of the parks to feel like they can not be skipped and thus need key attractions in each, and each to appeal to the widest audience. They also don't want families to feel like they have to hit up one park for some members but there is nothing for the other members

Now, that doesn't mean each park should (and can't) have their own vibe and feel and some may appeal to some specific families more than others - but they definitely do not want to market one park to certain demographics only - they want everyone to want to go to each park

If I was in Disney Marketing, I would employ this strategy. Maximize the cross-contamination of demographics to appeal to the broadest market while balancing average guest stay (out of state/local). Research, and I do mean have my R & D sharpen their pencils/keyboards, to justify what demographic can I extract the maximum $$$$ on a given theme park (uh em...while providing the minimal acceptable guest experience).

Trust me...I want the best experience for every guest, but economics seem to have the sharpest axe.

Building hotels won't make the parks more crowded but I do wish they would spend their capital improvement budget on a new park instead of new hotels. I don't think it will happen any time soon.

Building hotels won't make the parks more crowded but I do wish they would spend their capital improvement budget on a new park instead of new hotels
They are making huge investments in the current parks right now.

I understand. I would like to see them spend the money they are putting into hotels on a 5th park. It would be in addition to the current park updates. If you asked me do I want a Skyway, another DVC resort, towers built at CSR and Caribbean beach, or a 5th park I'd go 5th park.

I understand. I would like to see them spend the money they are putting into hotels on a 5th park. It would be in addition to the current park updates. If you asked me do I want a Skyway, another DVC resort, towers built at CSR and Caribbean beach, or a 5th park I'd go 5th park.
I don't think the money they are spending on the new resorts would come anywhere near close enough to pay for a new park and all the needed infrastructure. Makes much more sense to add/enhance the existing parks.

Rather than wasting money on all the infrastructure needed for a 5th gate, I would much rather see WDW increase the attraction density in the existing parks.
But they're doing it, and have done it in the past, mostly by removing some attractions (often good ones) to make room for others.

Toon Town, Maelstrom, Great Movie Ride, etc., etc., gone to create space for new things. That's why there is a call for a 5th gate, to allow things to be added without other things being subtracted, to actually allow a significantly greater number of attractions for guests to choose from. That's what would help offset crowding.

Not cheap, but neither are all the hotels & DVC expansion projects.

Last edited:
I wish they'd shift their focus to the parks. Unfortunately, the resorts are where the money is for them.

They are doing a lot in the parks. Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land, Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm not sure how the statement can be made that they are not focusing on the parks as well as the resorts. If they do too much at the parks all at once there would be a huge outcry. You can't have too much under construction at once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter