Too late to change hotel if using DME

katluva

Earning My Ears
Hello! I will be going to WDW in a little over a week and I noticed that a better resort is now available for my dates with a minimal difference in price. I'm considering calling to see if I can change, so my first question is whether it is too late to do that.

Here's my second question, which complicates things. I plan to check my luggage so that it will go on the DME bus, but I'm planning to uber straight to a park. My luggage tags will be arriving in the mail today. If I changed resorts, I'm guessing this wouldn't work for me, because the luggage would go to the wrong hotel, correct? Would Disney be able to send me new tags in time?

Thanks!

Hello! I will be going to WDW in a little over a week and I noticed that a better resort is now available for my dates with a minimal difference in price. I'm considering calling to see if I can change, so my first question is whether it is too late to do that.

If you can change your resort without changing your reservation number then it will be no problem to make a last minute change. :) When they scan the bar code on the luggage tags then it will go to the resort on the reservation. To be on the safe side, take a permanent marker, cross off the old resort and add the new resort to the luggage tag.

Here's my second question, which complicates things. I plan to check my luggage so that it will go on the DME bus, but I'm planning to uber straight to a park. My luggage tags will be arriving in the mail today. If I changed resorts, I'm guessing this wouldn't work for me, because the luggage would go to the wrong hotel, correct? Would Disney be able to send me new tags in time?
You can call DME and see if they can send out the tags in time. I've heard that they will try their best to get them in time, but not guaranteed.

I’ve done it but there was a long delay with my luggage (7-8 hours since it did go to the original resort). I would just grab it and bring it with you. Since you are already paying for an Uber, go to the resort & drop it with bell services then Uber again to the park if you’re worried about time.

Thanks, all!!!

I'm not worried about a delay, since my flight lands at about 9 AM and I'm going to one park and then doing DAH at another before getting to my hotel that night.

Thank you!

We’ve changed our hotel last minute and used the ME no problem. We called, but their suggestion was just to use a sharpie to write on the tag (cleanly cross out animal kingdom lodge and write beach club, for instance). They’ll confirm it with info on your reservation digitally anyways.

But we actually took the bus. I don’t know how that changes things.

Thanks!
Just to clarify one thing, luggage doesn't "go on the DME bus"
It goes on it's on truck. Right off the plane, to a sorting room, on a van, along with other bags, no guests, right to Disney.
It does not go on the DME bus with you.
Which is why riding the DME bus is not required at this point.

Now, your plan to change resorts complicates things but the advice given to cross out the resort info is the best course of action for now. I'm always nervous giving them any tags that have barcodes with incorrect info on them. I don't like the idea of my bags heading off in the wrong direction on accident, even if they'll eventually make it to the right spot. The wrong bar code is just too tempting to some agents. I worry they'll scan it and not read the resort name.
If you planned to ride ME the best method would be to forgo yellow tags totally and give the ME agents our claim checks and let them get your bags.

We have had to modify tags at the last minute several times. You will need to black out the old resort name, reservation number, and barcode. Then write the new resort name and reservation number above it.

We have had to modify tags at the last minute several times. You will need to black out the old resort name, reservation number, and barcode. Then write the new resort name and reservation number above it.

I’m going to guess that blackening out the bar code is the best course of action so they CAN’T scan it. I merely crossed out the resort name and mine went to the wrong resort. I had to go to the front desk and beg for my luggage to be found about 8 hours after we had arrived.

It shouldn’t be a problem, but I would just grab them and bring them with you. When you get to the hotel they will take your luggage right there and hold onto it while you Uber to the park

Personally I would never use a modified DME tag to ship my bags!

If you don't get new tags in time - and getting bags shipped is most important then I would suggest riding the DME bus and giving the CM your actual airline bag tags as "AngieTN" suggested above.

If not riding DME is most important then I would just pick up the bags from the carousel and bring them along on your Uber/Lyft ride.

I’m going to guess that blackening out the bar code is the best course of action so they CAN’T scan it. I merely crossed out the resort name and mine went to the wrong resort. I had to go to the front desk and beg for my luggage to be found about 8 hours after we had arrived.

The best course of action is to modify any information to accurately reflect the new reservation. Sometimes it means blacking out the barcode; sometimes not.

Also, importantly, contact DME to be sure any changes have been updated in their system. It’s not fun being told at DME checkin/boarding that your information is incorrect.

Thanks!

Op, I misread your post. Are you only changing resorts with NO changes to the reservation number?

In this case, you will just black out the old resort name and rewrite the new one above.

It is complete rebookings (ex room-only to package) that require all tag information to be modified.

Again, contact DME to be sure the changes have been updated in their system. They will guide through what information needs to be modified on the tags.

I ALWAYS take my own luggage on the DME bus. We just always did that our self. If you did that..you could goto whatever resort you wanted. We always use DME, we just prefer to schlep our own bags.

I ALWAYS take my own luggage on the DME bus. We just always did that our self. If you did that..you could goto whatever resort you wanted. We always use DME, we just prefer to schlep our own bags.

Pretty sure that's a no. They scan your Magic Band when you check in to DME and they send you to the bus for the resort you are booked at. 99% sure you cannot opt to go to a different resort using DME.

Pretty sure that's a no. They scan your Magic Band when you check in to DME and they send you to the bus for the resort you are booked at. 99% sure you cannot opt to go to a different resort using DME.

If you have bags that can be actually carried onto the bus, and if your bus goes to the resort you wanted to go to, they aren’t going to physically stop you from getting off the bus.

Gets awkward if you have to stash bags under the bus (rolling “carryon” bags, full sized bags, strollers).

If you have bags that can be actually carried onto the bus, and if your bus goes to the resort you wanted to go to, they aren’t going to physically stop you from getting off the bus.

Gets awkward if you have to stash bags under the bus (rolling “carryon” bags, full sized bags, strollers).

Wouldn't they figure out if it's a full bus with people who are supposed to be going there? At that point, I'm pretty sure they'd do a reconfirmation of who has reservations where.

Just to clarify one thing, luggage doesn't "go on the DME bus"
It goes on it's on truck. Right off the plane, to a sorting room, on a van, along with other bags, no guests, right to Disney.
It does not go on the DME bus with you.
Which is why riding the DME bus is not required at this point.

Now, your plan to change resorts complicates things but the advice given to cross out the resort info is the best course of action for now. I'm always nervous giving them any tags that have barcodes with incorrect info on them. I don't like the idea of my bags heading off in the wrong direction on accident, even if they'll eventually make it to the right spot. The wrong bar code is just too tempting to some agents. I worry they'll scan it and not read the resort name.
If you planned to ride ME the best method would be to forgo yellow tags totally and give the ME agents our claim checks and let them get your bags.

I would think twice about giving your claim checks and have them get your luggage. There was a post on Facebook this week were someone’s luggage was lost this way. DME has no record of picking them up, SW had no record of where the luggage was. After 2 or 3 days, they marked it as stolen and she had to file a claim. Who knows where it went.

My last 2 or 3 trips I have picked up my luggage myself and took it to the bus. The last time I used the bag tags, it took over 7 hours for delivery. Maybe it missed the flight, who knows. My friend arrived on a different flight, her bag was delivered to the wrong room. On another trip, she was doing a split stay, her luggage was sent to her second resort, they didn’t find it for 2 days. I’d rather have it and know where it’s at.

Exactly....once on the bus with your luggage. You can get off whatever resort you want or the driver will go there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter