Tom Sawyer Island going away?!?

Kainsel

Earning My Ears
I did see it on a different website that usually has good info but could this be happening? Maybe the theater was cancelled for this.

Currently half of Tom Sawyer Island is closed for refurbishment but thats it.

Do you have any more details on that? When it opens again? My kiddos love TSI so it’s definitely in our plans for May.
I have not seen an end date. The island is still open but part of it is closed for refurbishment. They could be doing it in sections or its only that section getting refurbed.

I doubt we'd see it going ever going away, though a major overhaul with some new theming wouldn't surprise me, maybe like what they did at DL with the "Pirates Lair" stuff. It still fits with Tom Sawyer, but it's a little flashier.

This and the speedway are huge wastes of real estate. They should cut it off at the bridge and fill in the back of the River of America. They can extend Frontierland with a bridge by BTMR. At least two attractions can fit there.

It's an iconic part of Disney, and far from a waste of space in many people's eyes.

And that is why I didn't suggest cutting the main island. They do not even use more than a 1/4 of the second island as it is. How many people cycle through the island per hour? Maybe 200 on a good day. How many would cycle the two attractions that would replace that area? 3000 at least plus any food service and concrete space. Look at the space that is available.

upload_2018-3-6_21-8-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-6_21-7-9.png
    upload_2018-3-6_21-7-9.png
    492.5 KB · Views: 17
And that is why I didn't suggest cutting the main island. They do not even use more than a 1/4 of the second island as it is. How many people cycle through the island per hour? Maybe 200 on a good day. How many would cycle the two attractions that would replace that area? 3000 at least plus any food service and concrete space. Look at the space that is available.

View attachment 307250

That is a pretty good sized space. How many attractions they could get back there would depend on what they are. But it would be really cool if they put a TS themed ride out there. It might create a traffic problem through the current island but I think it would be cool to have an addition to Frontierland.

Last week, it looked like the suspension bridge was being worked on. Half of the floor boards were missing, and the end trusses were covered in scrim.

I don't see them doing that anytime soon MK really doesn't need any "love" any time soon .. especially with Tomorrowland getting a makeover with Tron, Speedway and Stitch (whatever that will become) and crowds being drawn back to Epcot and DHS after its major refurbishments.

From a business perspective -- I just don't see them seeing a need to spend money tearing down an existing attraction to add a new one, even though there is room and even though it (and the Steamboat) aren't crowd "eaters". I would see them taking out Country Bear Jamboree or Carousel of Progress or Tiki room before Tom Sawyer Island.

While it isn't an "A-list" attraction, it and the river boat (like the train or Swiss Family Robinson treehouse) just seems a key part of the overall landscape of the park.

Granted everything can change, I just don't see them doing that short of some "monumental" new attraction or land (like how they added Star Wars Land to Disneyland)

I like TSI, but its operating hours make it an attraction we typically miss. We like to do Frontierland first thing in the morning and later at night, and unfortunately, TSI is often only open during the hottest parts of the day.

I’d love to spend a morning or evening over there. I don’t think it needs to be removed, but it needs longer open hours.

We took the oldest there, but she doesn’t remember. Theother two have never been. I love place.

The rafts are iconic, but also the limiting factor for the Island. It might be used more if a bridge where available.....but then the riverboat is a problem. Then again if it were used more, it might not be so special.

I feel like the area could be reworked, but not completely demolished. There is a lot of land there that isn't currently being used. It would make sense in the future (not the immediate future but maybe another 5-10 years down the line) to do something else there. However it probably won't be a priority for some time.

For a lot of people and a lot of kids (especially those with disabilities) MK is sensory overload to the max.

TS island is a quiet, shady and calm place where guests can recharge and relax a bit. I, personally, hope it doesn't change one ounce. I love it.

I agree. TSI is not an attraction my family heads to every trip, but I recognize that it offers a welcomed respite for a lot of folks who would otherwise need to leave MK. I think it has the same kind of value and sentiment to some that the Railroad has for me. If the park got to be too much for my little DGD, but we knew she did not need to leave for the day, we would hop on the train and just ride. She would relax and doze for a little while. There is a value to having a space that is tranquil and quiet. I hope TSI remains.

TSI has undergone many changes, and removal of features has been happening all along. As the island gets minimized, its draw of crowds lessens. Removing the full access to the fort, the tunnel escape route, and other changes have reduced what was to now simply what could have been. Without a successful reboot of the IP, the land will be re-purposed for sure at some point. How many kids are kept indoors today, and not able to dream of a riverboat ride down the Mississippi?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter