Tolls

This. E-PASS Xtra is the only single transponder that will work for you in both NY and Florida. Handy to have in case you ever drive as it covers most of the Eastern seaboard states,

The only real downside is paying the $18.50 + $10 activation fees when the NY E-ZPASS includes it when you purchase $35 of toll credits, but a SunPass transponder will set you back $19.99 and a E-PASS transponder if $9.99 in Florida anyways.
Thanks for this tip. I've been a SunPass user for several years now, and always lamented that it would not work in the northeast where we also occasionally travel. Since I have a new truck and need a new transponder, think it's time to switch. Alas, won't help for our March trip to South Carolina; almost no reciprocity with other systems for the Hilton Head Cross-Island Parkway. SunPass announced about 4 years ago that they were working on it, but nothing yet :(

Sorry guess I wasnt too clear. I am not looking to avoid, Just hearing that some of the roads are going the way of 407. So if no transponder, and no toll booths, they mail out the bill. Just wondering time line, and if FL. mails it to Canada. Not interested in getting a transponder for 1 or 2 trips a year.

Sorry guess I wasnt too clear. I am not looking to avoid, Just hearing that some of the roads are going the way of 407. So if no transponder, and no toll booths, they mail out the bill. Just wondering time line, and if FL. mails it to Canada. Not interested in getting a transponder for 1 or 2 trips a year.
And AFAIK the answer is no, they don't. Running a toll without a transponder is an offence, even if they don't have a cash option. For tollways (or exits) without a cash option, don't get on the tollway. They don't have a system like 407 where they mail out bills to motorists. If you know you have accidentally run a toll, go online and pay the appropriate toll to and I doubt you will be fined (speculating). Also speculating that unpaid tolls stick around like parking violations; so if you are pulled over for something else, your unpaid tolls could rear their ugly heads.

Curious why you wouldn't buy a transponder for 1-2 trips a year. I have them in both our vehicles, and we only go down to FL every couple of years. The transponder savings in one return trip on the 417 tollway around Orlando pays for the transponder itself. If you blow a toll on your first trip, your plate will be on file potentially forever, making future trips risky.

ETA: getting a transponder couldn't be simpler. You can order one online and they will ship to Canada for free. Only takes a few days to arrive and can be installed and ready to go before you leave.

And AFAIK the answer is no, they don't. Running a toll without a transponder is an offence, even if they don't have a cash option. For tollways (or exits) without a cash option, don't get on the tollway. They don't have a system like 407 where they mail out bills to motorists. If you know you have accidentally run a toll, go online and pay the appropriate toll to and I doubt you will be fined (speculating). Also speculating that unpaid tolls stick around like parking violations; so if you are pulled over for something else, your unpaid tolls could rear their ugly heads.

Curious why you wouldn't buy a transponder for 1-2 trips a year. I have them in both our vehicles, and we only go down to FL every couple of years. The transponder savings in one return trip on the 417 tollway around Orlando pays for the transponder itself. If you blow a toll on your first trip, your plate will be on file potentially forever, making future trips risky.

ETA: getting a transponder couldn't be simpler. You can order one online and they will ship to Canada for free. Only takes a few days to arrive and can be installed and ready to go before you leave.
Thanks for this, all makes sense.
Do they warn you before you get on that its a toll road. The thing I hate about the 407 is they dont make it clear as you enter. Now I live here so know about it, but if I was visiting and getting on, wow big suprise later with the toll.
That is why I am trying to get it clear. So far we have not run into these types on our travels, but if they are switching over then we will need to look at it. Plus I dont know if I want a transponder for each state, ugg.

Thanks for this, all makes sense.
Do they warn you before you get on that its a toll road. The thing I hate about the 407 is they dont make it clear as you enter. Now I live here so know about it, but if I was visiting and getting on, wow big suprise later with the toll.
That is why I am trying to get it clear. So far we have not run into these types on our travels, but if they are switching over then we will need to look at it. Plus I dont know if I want a transponder for each state, ugg.
Yes they warn you.

Well, you don't really need one for every system. In 2012 US Congress mandated that all states have reciprocity (interoperability) by 2016 (MAP-21 law). There was no penalty for missing the deadline however, so 4 years later they are still not there. So it is worth watching to see who IS playing with in the sandbox. The E-Pass Extra mentioned above is probably a better answer now than SunPass. Both operate on all Florida roads, but if the Extra works on the EZ-Pass system in the northeastern US (approx. 14 states) including all those you would likely traverse on a trip from eastern Canada to Florida, then it is probably the better option.

The negative may be startup cost. The E-Pass Extra is $18.50, whereas the state only passes are free if you get the permanent sticker type (that's what we have always used). On the plus side, it can be registered to more than a single vehicle, so I would only need one transponder for both of our vehicles (some years we take the car, others we take the truck).

Note that a lot of Americans are used to this - do a google search and you will find lots of discussion about which state it is better to buy your pass from. Although they interoperate, each state has different rules and fees, and nothing requires a driver to buy from their home state. We had something similar in my area where lots of Ontario residents would try to register their cars in Quebec as both the registration and insurance were cheaper for a while; don't think it's a thing anymore.

If you are travelling to Florida every year or so, having the pass can make a lot of sense. We have been taking the 417 around the I4 congestion for years now, and the congestion is worse while they rebuild I4 to add the new toll lanes. It's somewhere around $6 with the discount for the full length of the expressway from north of Orlando to the Disney area. Once I4 construction is completed (in maybe 30 years at the rate they are going), we will be setup to use the new toll lanes on the more direct route.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter