Tokyo Disney in DC?

stlrod

DIS Veteran
Not that I'll ever go there, I was just curious as to whether Tokyo Disney was included in the DC?

I haven't seen any Tokyo Disney Resort hotels in DVC's Disney Collection in past years. I haven't looked at this year's charts, but I'm sure someone would have mentioned it if Tokyo had been added.

There have been Official Hotels at the Tokyo Disney Resort, but until recently, there haven't been any Disney-branded hotels there. That changed with the addition of the Disney Ambassador Hotel and the Tokyo DisneySea Hotel MiraCosta (which looks really inviting).

Actually, Tokyo is wonderful destination. I was there last Fall. I devoted a day to Tokyo Disneyland, which outshines the Magic Kingdom in Florida. I regretted that Tokyo DisneySea wasn't open when I was there; all indications are that it will be incredible. Tokyo itself is a great, great city. I was surprised how easy to get around even if you only speak English. Commuter train service between the Tokyo Disney Resort and Tokyo is frequent and convenient.

There are somtimes good airfares to Tokyo Narita Airport from the US, especially from the West Coast. The dollar is strong. Tokyo Disneyland prices are similar to Walt Disney World prices.

Nope. I paid BIG BUCKS to stay at the new Disney Ambassador Hotel this past October. Tokyo Disney was really nice though. Very different than anything we are used to. They have three levels of passes. One just gets you into the park, the next includes minor attractions but no rides, and the third is the big park hopper! You also have to wear your pass on your shirt so the CM's can see at a glance what you're entitled to. We loved every minute of it, and can't wait to go back to see the new park. We have now been to all the Disney's in the world!
Anita.

I asked a CM at DVC member services and she said tht DVC wants to concentrate on the Disney locations at WDW first and then when that has been developed properly they will then potentially be able to move into exploring other markets in depth. I really would love to go, I have a best friend who lives in Tokyo.

Based on past history, many of us on this board think it'e unlikely Disney will ever develop another DVC resort outside of WDW.

But the question in this thread was whether any Tokyo Disney Resort hotels are included in the Disney Collection. The answer is no -- which is surprising, considering that the Disney-branded hotels at Disneyland Paris Resort and the Disneyland Resort (California) are included in the Disney Collection, so you can stay at them with your DVC points.

The Tokyo Disney Resort isn't owned by The Walt Disney Company, but then neither is the Disneyland Paris Resort (however, unlike Tokyo, The Walt Disney Company owns a minority interest in Euro Disney SCA, the owner of the Disneyland Paris Resort). But I'm sure that DVC could work out a business arrangement with the Oriental Land Company, owner of the Tokyo Disney Resort, if they thought there would be enough interest.

My guess is that there are many DVC members who would be interested -- especially now with the opening of Tokyo DisneySea -- though probably still far fewer than are interested in visiting the Disneyland Paris Resort or the Disneyland Resort in California.

There was an article in the WSJ yesterday. This may explain why no Tokyo DL in the DC. Unlike EuroDisney, which is 49% owned by Disney, Tokyo DL is not owned by Disney, Disney only collects a royalty and fees. Article was in referance to DisneySea there, where Disney is expected to collect $100MM a year in royalties and fees. HK DL will be part owned by Disney when it opens, but both sides (HK and Disney) carry options to both increase and reduce their ownership.

The Walt Disney Company owns owns 39% (not 49%) of Euro Disney SCA. The second largest stake is held by Saudi Prince al-Waleed bin Talal, who owns has a 17% stake.

But that's really not the issue.

DVC could negotiate with Oriental Land Company to include the Tokyo Disney Resort hotels in the Disney Collection, just as DVC has negotiated Concierge Collection deals with all sorts of deluxe hotels and resorts in which Disney does not have any ownership. I can only assume that DVC management has assumed there would be too little demand for the Tokyo Disney Resort hotels to justify the effort.

That could change now that the Tokyo Disney Resort is becoming a true destination resort with the opening of Tokyo DisneySea, Disney-branded hotels, and Ikspiari.

Werner, you are right, I forgot that Disney reduced its stake in the bankruptcy restructuring in Euro-Disney. They did have 49% as I had a prospectus when the company started trading on the NASDQ in the 1980's. I also remember that when I was issued warrants in the company, the documents said Disney's stake had been reduced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter