Tokyo Dining & Illuminations

TexanInTheMidwest

DIS Veteran
I have a dinner reservation in Tokyo Dining for one night of my trip and hope to catch Illumniations. But I was just watching a Disney Food Blog video on YouTube and she said that often, it's hard to SEE Illuminations because folks stand on the balcony outside the windows. AND that the food is just so-so

I can get into La Hacienda de San Angel at the same time. It's just the last time I was there (2018) the food and the service weren't great....

(I also have Spice Road Table booked for later in my trip - a 2nd chance at Illuminations...)

Thoughts?

Spice Road is great. I personally LOVE the food at Tokyo Dining, but unless you leave your table and go on the balcony, you are not gonna see much. But to be fair, i might just have bad luck with a crowded balcony

Id recommend "Rose & Crown" If you sit outside you have an outstanding view of the show. We had a great meal there(chicken masala curry was to die for) just last week. They even let us go into their private fireworks viewing area even though we did not book the dining package.

but like 90% of the outdoor tables have a great view already.

Last edited:
I have a dinner reservation in Tokyo Dining for one night of my trip and hope to catch Illumniations. But I was just watching a Disney Food Blog video on YouTube and she said that often, it's hard to SEE Illuminations because folks stand on the balcony outside the windows. AND that the food is just so-so

I can get into La Hacienda de San Angel at the same time. It's just the last time I was there (2018) the food and the service weren't great....

(I also have Spice Road Table booked for later in my trip - a 2nd chance at Illuminations...)

Thoughts?
Not sure which vid you watched but this is the one I saw (begins at 5:01)and thank goodness she didn't say Illuminations wasn't visible which is good because it is, LOL:

I disagree with her assessment of the non sushi offerings in the video and apparently she changed her mind since in a written review she enjoyed all the cooked entrees her party ate. She gives a shout-out to the vegetable udon but felt the filet mignon was over cooked. No idea how she ordered it (medium? well done?)but to me it looks medium; I prefer my beef cuts medium rare and that's how it's been prepared in the past for our table. Were it not I'd send it back. I agree with her thoughts on the desserts; not worth the calories but they look very pretty.

This is a link to her written review:

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2017/01/09/review-tokyo-dining-in-epcots-japan-pavilion/
We enjoy our meals here, tend to request and receive a window seat and have seen Illuminations. Don't worry so much about the people of the outside terrace. The terrace is at least a foot lower than the restaurant's floor, the show is in the sky threfore much to see:).

Never eaten at Spice Road during Illuminations but would guess the inner dining room has good views. Love the food!

Id recommend "Rose & Crown" If you sit outside you have an outstanding view of the show. We had a great meal there(chicken masala curry was to die for) just last week. They even let us go into their private fireworks viewing area even though we did not book the dining package.

but like 90% of the outdoor tables have a great view already.

Unfortunately there's nothing available at Rose & Crown on the dates I will be there. Then again, I didn't plan this trip until 62 days out so a lot of reservations are taken.

Not sure which vid you watched but this is the one I saw (begins at 5:01)and thank goodness she didn't say Illuminations wasn't visible which is good because it is, LOL:

I disagree with her assessment of the non sushi offerings in the video and apparently she changed her mind since in a written review she enjoyed all the cooked entrees her party ate. She gives a shout-out to the vegetable udon but felt the filet mignon was over cooked. No idea how she ordered it (medium? well done?)but to me it looks medium; I prefer my beef cuts medium rare and that's how it's been prepared in the past for our table. Were it not I'd send it back. I agree with her thoughts on the desserts; not worth the calories but they look very pretty.

This is a link to her written review:

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2017/01/09/review-tokyo-dining-in-epcots-japan-pavilion/
We enjoy our meals here, tend to request and receive a window seat and have seen Illuminations. Don't worry so much about the people of the outside terrace. The terrace is at least a foot lower than the restaurant's floor, the show is in the sky threfore much to see:).

Never eaten at Spice Road during Illuminations but would guess the inner dining room has good views. Love the food!

THANKS @NYCgrrl - I watched a video that walked through ALL the Table Service places in Epcot and ranked them. And since AJ likes her burgers medium, I am guessing she likes her steaks medium as well.

With this being a solo trip, I'm eating at as many "different" places as possible - he isn't a fan of sushi or Moroccan foods 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!