TODAY, March 20th 2018 is the last day for Free Parking!!

BridgetBordeaux

DIS Veteran
NOTE--- this message was originally posted somewhere else and got moved over here---

As part of your strategy to visit WDW I wanted to make one last shout out to anyone here that has not been visiting the Resorts Board or the Rumors/News Board.

Today is the last day!!!

Make as many one day reservations as you can handle. Each stand alone reservation can be modified and will still be eligible for free parking because it will be grandfathered. You can change the dates, change the resort, even change the number of people in your party. This is your last chance.

I made three and plan to use mine in 2019, 2020, and 2021.

All resort only reservations are 100% refundable up to 5 days before arrival. If you can float the cost now, you will have a nice bit of savings in the future!!

It will be up to you to track and modify them in the future for your use. Good luck!

Last edited:
Even though you will have free parking the cost of just about everything else is sure to increase which will eat up your "free parking" . . . . .IMHO

Wouldn't this be promoting circumventing Disney's policies? Clearly they are fine with grandfathering in existing reservations but this is going way beyond their intent.

Wouldn't this be promoting circumventing Disney's policies? Clearly they are fine with grandfathering in existing reservations but this is going way beyond their intent.
This is not circumventing any policies. Many people who have no idea that the parking fee policy has changed will be making reservations today. And many of those guests may have to modify the reservation in the future. All in all, several hundred to several thousand reservations will be modified and that is the flexibility that any hotelier maintains in order to keep customers from being trapped in a reservation. No one can predict the future.

the problem I see with making multiple 1 night reservations is that you may be taking away a reservation someone else needs for more than 1 night.
Not to mention the furthest in advance you can make a reservation is 499 (or is it 500?) days.

the problem I see with making multiple 1 night reservations is that you may be taking away a reservation someone else needs for more than 1 night.
In order to minimize the impact on others, I did make them for summer 2019, not 2018. I plan on pushing the dates out a couple of times a year to reduce the impact on others. Right now, there is not any sort of room shortage for summer of 2019. Most people don't make plans out that far.

All to save a few bucks for parking? Pennies in the total of a Disney trip. Hardly worth all that trouble. Plus, what about the money you are tying up for years for those later trips? What point in that to save on parking? I am just not seeing why you'd pay $200 (or whatever) for a room today that you won't use for 2021, just so you don't pay parking on that stay. Am I the only one that is left shaking my head at that one?

All to save a few bucks for parking? Pennies in the total of a Disney trip. Hardly worth all that trouble. Plus, what about the money you are tying up for years for those later trips? What point in that to save on parking? I am just not seeing why you'd pay $200 (or whatever) for a room today that you won't use for 2021, just so you don't pay parking on that stay. Am I the only one that is left shaking my head at that one?
A ton of people make many major decisions based on tax deductions. It’s weird, but happens a lot. Saving on parking fees is kinda like saving on taxes.

I don't think many people will bother doing this, but it's not a bad strategy. If you're planning on staying at a Deluxe for a couple of weeks, it will save you almost $350. If parking fees increase to let's say, $35 per day by 2021, you'll save almost $500.

Making reservations that far in advance is not something I would have the energy or desire to do. However, I will not criticize someone who wants to do that in order to save what could be hundreds of dollars depending on the resort and length of stay. Staying at a deluxe for just 5 days would save $120 (not figuring in tax). That's a couple of QS meals for a family of 4.

I thought about making a couple reservations, but I still don't know whether I will continue going to WDW after my three 2018 grandfathered trips are over. I can't bring myself to cancel the three planned trips, but I feel like I am betraying my principles by going when I so profoundly disagree with what they are doing. The stress has really taken a toll this week. I totally understand why people might have done so though, as it could save a significant amount. I feel bad for people who aren't as savvy as the DIS patrons, and find themselves surprised by a big parking bill because they only missed it by a day.

So sad................the eligibility window for free parking is now closed.
I wonder how much the fees will be each year in the future?
Time will tell..................

So we made reservations yesterday for AoA in July. We like it there. Today this Summer Room Offer comes out and I can save $450 by switching to a Preferred Room at POP. Can I modify to that and not pay the parking fee? I realize it will still save money, just wondering.

So we made reservations yesterday for AoA in July. We like it there. Today this Summer Room Offer comes out and I can save $450 by switching to a Preferred Room at POP. Can I modify to that and not pay the parking fee? I realize it will still save money, just wondering.
Have you tried to do it online? If so, without question, it will even keep the same confirmation number. If you have to call, it gets trickier as you can never tell for sure exactly what the CM will have to do.

Have you tried to do it online? If so, without question, it will even keep the same confirmation number. If you have to call, it gets trickier as you can never tell for sure exactly what the CM will have to do.
Thank you. It was going smoothly online until I hit Check Out, then I got the "We are unable to update at this time" warning. I'll try again before calling.

Has anyone made a new reservation today? Curious if the parking fees are being added at booking, or if it will be applied at check in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter