To Rent and Car or Not?

thebigman65

DIS Veteran
Hey All, Going to be staying at BLT for the first time, 1st week of Nov this year. We usually rent a car when we go, but I was thinking since all our dinner reservations are either at DS or Epcot this time, there might not be much point. We can take the Monorail to Epcot and the Bus or Minnie Van to DS.

Thoughts?

We have skipped the rental car on the last few trips. We used Walmart for groceries and found it very easy and cost effective. Didn't miss not having the car.

I have used Lyft when not in a position to wait on Disney Transportation. Cheaper then renting a car, and imo, not really all that inconvenient.

Depending on party size, LYFT is probably going to be a lot cheaper than the Minnie Vans. Again - if you are comfortable using it. Just know that DS has dedicated pick up locations.

I have used Lyft when not in a position to wait on Disney Transportation. Cheaper then renting a car, and imo, not really all that inconvenient.

Depending on party size, LYFT is probably going to be a lot cheaper than the Minnie Vans. Again - if you are comfortable using it. Just know that DS has dedicated pick up locations.
I thought Lyft was the Minnie Vans?....so I can use Lyft app and any Lyft Driver can come on property or just DS?

I thought Lyft was the Minnie Vans?....so I can use Lyft app and any Lyft Driver can come on property or just DS?
You get the Minnie vans thru Lyft, yes, but you can also use a regular Lyft Driver - at least as of 4/30/19 you could. I had them come right to Beach club
At DS there is dedicated pick up stops, one all the way on the west end, and I think another by world of Disney

We've gone "carless" and actually enjoyed the freedom of not having a car, though certain locations are difficult to get to. We haven't used Minnie Van service but will certainly consider it if we go without a car in the future. This year we are taking Magical Express to/from and then picking up a car from Alamo at the Car Care Center near MK so we don't have to lug bags around. You really have to dig for discounts these days and if you are willing to take an internal bus to DS and can walk over to Hotel Boulevard there are some smoking deals at autoslash.com . You plug in your info and wait 10-15 minutes for an email - amazing prices, however I got an equally good deal several months ago by stalking Alamo coupon codes and am paying $356 (including tax) for a Fusion for 10 nights of our 13 night trip (BRV for 3 nights so no car needed).

Yes, normal Lyft drivers can come on property.

The advantage of a Lyft Minnie Van over a normal Lyft is the added accessibility. Minnie Vans have free roam to go wherever to drop you off at the more convenient location.
MK is the prime example of this-- normal Lyft drivers can only drop you off at the TTC while a Minnie Van is equal to a WDW Bus and can take you all the way to the front gates/bus drop off.

Personally we have rarely had a car as we only rented when we would go some place else after Disney and when we did we only used to go to DS and sometimes to get decent coffee..... BLT is great if you want to walk to MK but as far as the rest of the parks it can be slow being for EPCOT you have to walk over to the monorail wait and than transfer. All the MK deluxe resorts are SLOW to DS.... But truthfully I have never seen much of a time savings with the new garage in DS.... by the time you drive park and walk to..... you may see a few minute difference in either direction... The value in having a car for DVC these days is eating some of your meals else where as it is very easy to save a lot even eating one meal off property.....

We’ve done it both ways - rental car and without it. I prefer without it and taking the Magical Express. Parking at the parks esp MK/TTC is a pain and more time consuming than the buses or monorail. If we want a car, we take a Lyft.

We have very early on rented a car and we also used car service prior to Magical Express. My husband doesn't want to be bothered with having to navigate his way around WDW, he would rather leave the driving to someone else and enjoy the ride. Once or twice we ventured over to Universal Studios, when we did we used Mears transportation which worked out very well for us. Now I'm retired so we drive to WDW, when we get there we park the car and it sits there for the entire time we are staying at WDW. The transportation system at WDW works very well for us, IMHO there isn't a need for a car at WDW.

I’m old school... no nothing about Lyft or Uber.
That said, unlike the past we NEVER drive around WDW. We are all drinkers and just refuse to get behind the wheel. It would inhibit our party if someone had to drive.
We have found cabs just as cheap to get around (now the lyft thing I guess) vs a car.

Never a need to rent a car.

We usually rent only when the grandkids (toddlers) and/or my elderly in-laws travel with us because it’s just easier for them and a quicker process to get them back to the resort if the need arises. I personally enjoy a break from driving while at WDW.

If we can get a good deal on a rental (thats getting more difficult), we will rent for several reasons.
1. From the airport, we can stop at the grocery store and get the food items we want. We have used online grocery delivery before, but they are much more expensive and have minimal purchase requirements. We have used Black car before and they also will stop at a store for you.
2. We also stop at DS for a few hours before heading to our resort. This saves us 2 long bus rides.
3. We frequently will eat at a signature restaurant that is not at our resort. Bus service doesn't work. we have used Uber and taxis and that adds about $25 each way.

Thanks for all the responses! WE usually rent a car, but I thought for this visit, since we are staying at BLT and all of our dinners are either at EPCOT or DS, a car would be a moot point....only long bus ride would be to AK, but I don't think we are doing it this time. Looks like it will be Disney Transportation or Lyft for this trip!

we always rent a car, hate buses, hate the wait, the crowds to get on them, the screaming kids on the way back from the parks at night, that buses aren't that regular during the middle of the day, etc. It's much easier to drive and have your own schedule

I rented a car once on a 3 day weekend... But we still used Disney transportation for everything except to and from the airport... And some food shopping.... For us..there just isn't the need. Sure you can make out faster leaving the parks at closings and special events when Disney transportation is at its peak and crowded.... But not needing a car at Disney is one of the pleasures of the trip for us.

However... During the name your own price days of a website.... I knew if some tricks to get a really good rate but those days are over..... And Uber or Lyft can usually take me where I need for less than a rental car anymore in total.

I rent...Hit Publix on the way, then Shades of Green then the resort. Also 'cuz we go to Universal or sometimes Sea World. My daughter loves going to Uno's on International and H8's the one that is close to Disney. Plus if we need xtra groceries we can access them ourselves. I'm old school. I actually like buying my groceries myself. My brother worked for InstaCart...Just shook my head...."Really?"

We usually rent a car. We used it fairly often this past May. There were 5 of us ( our 2 adult sons,16 year old and the two of us) it was wonderful getting to AK and AKL for dinner. Also Epcot and HS was a breeze! As much as I like Disney transport it can be a pita. Our rental was thru Costco, we had a Pathfinder for 7 days and it cost about $250. Worth it to me! Oh yes and we picked it up/ dropped off at the Dolphin.

Renting a car strictly depends on the type of vacation we are in and where we are staying. Time is the most precious commodity on vacation, and the buses are just not very dependable--often the time boards will be updated extending wait times for next bus. If I am staying at BLT or POLY, with Monorail to 2 parks, never get a car. If staying at OKW, SSR or Animal Kingdom usually get a car. The exception is when traveling sans kids/grandkids, that is a more relaxed trip and more likely to not get a car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter