To Lanyard or not to lanyard, that is the question

Depends on the hotel card. These are RFID of some kind, not something that needs to be swiped. They're very robust and I don't think a phone is going to wipe them out.

Seconding that the cards have an RFID chip in them. I've had some hotel key cards like it, but the older ones (that you should keep away from phones) are different. These only get wiped out if hit REALLY REALLY HARD.

I only know this because mine somehow got wiped out on our WDW day, and I had to get a new one when we got back to the cruise ship. I asked the guy if it could've been b/c of how I was storing it (by my phone, with other cards, etc) and he said absolutely not - they only stop working if they're hit hard. So I guess it was in a bad place on one of the bumpier rides I went on? Who knows.

I like this. How do you do that? A wrist lanyard of sorts?

I loop the standard lanyard 3 times around my wrist - it fits kinda like a scrunchy - tight enough that it doesn't fall off but loose enough not to bother my wrist. Then if I want it off fast, I can pull the loops even and slip by hand out.

We use lanyards. In addition to my KTTW, I carry chapstick and sometimes the paper navigator in it as well.

I just ordered some lanyards for us for our upcoming first cruise as well. I figured it would be good to have!

They can’t because you have to show your card to security at some ports.

Plus you need a card for the lights, I know any card will do but we use the key card.

Plus I would hate wearing a band on my arm all the time too. When at WDW I’m the one that would forget it in the room sitting on a table and have to run back to the room.

get a card at wdw. no need to wear a magic band if you don’t like them. That’s what I do. When I get to the hotel I tell them I want a card. Does all the same things as a magic band. Park tickets, key to your door, photo pass etc.

Reactions: NAB

I tend to wear the lanyard for the first bunch of days but eventually stop. I like it in the first few days.

I'm going on my first cruise in September, so like you I wont get a free lanyard. I'm planning to use a lanyard pouch with a retractable belt clip, the same as I do in the parks, for my parks tickets.

You know, I never thought about it before but a zip-zip seems like a really good idea to replace the lanyard.

I wonder if this technology will be implemented on the new Disney cruise ships??
I know other cruise lines offer equivalent technologies, but I believe they still issue a card and charge if you wish to use the RFID device. The card is used in all the ports by the local authorities to make sure you have the right to enter the restricted area around the ship. I don’t think they can get rid of cards all together because of that.

On Castaway Cay, DCL provides KTTW readers to the local border agents, which could of course read the bands, but I don‘t think the entire industry will move to a comparable solution for all the ports.

I don’t really like the lanyard. We did wear them when we became gold. The yellow ones look much nicer than the grey ones. I have a small ID wristlet for my KTTW card when I am not carrying a purse or a pouch. If you want to wear it on your wrist, you can get a spring coil wrist strap attached to a plastic ID pouch. I think you can find them in a dollar store. Just close the loop by clipping through the key ring.

I use a Lanyard and love it, but I don’t carry a cell phone around with me, so it’s easy. If I kept my KTTW card in a pocket I would be checking it obsessively for loss (that’s even if I could find enough clothes that HAS pockets!). I got a lanyard with a bigger pouch than the ones DCL give out, so I can also tuck in reading glasses and lip balm.

Thanks for everyone’s advice. I will probably wait and get one onboard, if I decide that I need one.

We usually use lanyards but the biggest negative is taking it in and out of the lanyard pocket to get it in the stateroom light switch. So either use one that clips easily to the card or bring an extra card - e.g. a library card or old hotel room card -- for the light switch. Also we take them off for photos, there is usually a table to set them on for photo ops before dinner.

We usually use lanyards but the biggest negative is taking it in and out of the lanyard pocket to get it in the stateroom light switch. So either use one that clips easily to the card or bring an extra card - e.g. a library card or old hotel room card -- for the light switch. Also we take them off for photos, there is usually a table to set them on for photo ops before dinner.

any card will control the lights. We usually have an older Disney gift card or annual pass that we keep In the light switch that we pull up when we leave. We use a lanyard during the day and on excursions/port days. Since you have to have a picture ID when you leave the ship, the lanyard is handy for both, and we tuck some cash between the cards for easy access at ports. We tie the lanyards to our pool bags at the pool. when using a lanyard you don’t have to remove your card when tapping to get off and on the ship and tapping to open your door. I use a wristlet at night during dinner. If you buy a lanyard on the ship you’re looking at $12.99. If you buy prior it’s only a couple of dollars. I hope they never do wrist bands. I hate them and would not wear it. at the parks husbands carries his in his pocket and me clipped to my small bag or fannypack

Like another poster said, I have a small crossbody I use for cruises. I keep my room card, phone, lip balm, Glasses, etc. w me at all times. And it doesn’t get in the way because it’s small. It would drive me nuts to have a lanyard hanging around my neck Plus then I would still need somewhere to put my phone for pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter