To Lanyard or not to lanyard, that is the question

JulieBeeRN

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Getting ready for our first cruise on February 3rd and trying to decide if a lanyard is a life-saver or a pain in the neck (literally and figuratively) for the KTTW cards.

I'm going on my first cruise in September, so like you I wont get a free lanyard. I'm planning to use a lanyard pouch with a retractable belt clip, the same as I do in the parks, for my parks tickets.

My husband and son love having their lanyards. I hate them. They pull on my neck and just get in the way. I keep my card in my phone’s wallet case since I need my phone for the Cruise Navigator. Easy to pull out when I need it and nothing in my way when not needing my key card out.

I put my card in my left front pocket, and I used my wallet when I didn’t have a pocket. I do not like lanyards. They remind me of work and squash my happy mood. Also, I used to get them caught on stuff when I had to wear one everyday. Bad memories.

I checked my pocket so much before leaving my cabin, etc., that I kept checking it the first couple of days when I got back home.

I’m another one that doesn’t like it around my neck, goes in my pocket. It is the one that is used for the lights too since it is already out of the pouch.
Getting ready for our first cruise on February 3rd and trying to decide if a lanyard is a life-saver or a pain in the neck (literally and figuratively) for the KTTW cards.

I love having the lanyard at embarkation. It makes it easier to take photos while having quick access to the KTTW card. I really don’t like it otherwise because I’m not a fan of how they look. Since I carry my phone with me everywhere anyway, I bought a phone case with a tiny zip wallet on the back. It came with a removable wrist strap and chain strap (like some purses have) and it was perfect. I could even use my KTTW card to open my stateroom door without taking it out of the wallet. If I didn’t bring my phone everywhere I would probably just use a lanyard for convenience.

I don't like things around my neck since I've had neck surgery, but I used a lanyard because I'm forgetful. It was a lot easier for me to remember something dangling around my neck than something in a pocket, plus depending on the pants sometimes stuff slips out of the pocket.

I like the lanyard only because it's simple enough to tap the door lock or the gift shop register pad without taking it in and out.
The only drawback is the less than "designer look" on a formal night. I don't carry a purse, wristlet, and my phone has a hardcover. Tried the 'stick it in the bra' but the hard plastic shape showed right through the dress.
Since it's your first cruise, try it in your pocket and see if it works for you. The Mouse sells lanyards if you find the pocket isn't working.

Nobody in my family likes to wear a lanyard. We just use our pockets. I do hang a lanyard up in our cabin as a convenient place to store our KTTW cards, but that's only because they hand them out after the first cruise.

I love having the lanyard at embarkation. It makes it easier to take photos while having quick access to the KTTW card. I really don’t like it otherwise because I’m not a fan of how they look. Since I carry my phone with me everywhere anyway, I bought a phone case with a tiny zip wallet on the back. It came with a removable wrist strap and chain strap (like some purses have) and it was perfect. I could even use my KTTW card to open my stateroom door without taking it out of the wallet. If I didn’t bring my phone everywhere I would probably just use a lanyard for convenience.
Are the KTTW cards like hotel keys? I have always been told to keep hotel keys away from phones because it can cause them to deprogram (not sure what the word is but basically stop working). Is it okay to keep your KTTW that close to your phone and have it still work properly? Thanks!

Are the KTTW cards like hotel keys? I have always been told to keep hotel keys away from phones because it can cause them to deprogram (not sure what the word is but basically stop working). Is it okay to keep your KTTW that close to your phone and have it still work properly? Thanks!

That is a good question...and I don’t have an answer! All I can say is my phone case has the plastic case plus the material (fake leather) of the attached wallet between the phone and the card, and I never had any issues. Someone else may know exactly what kind of tech is in the card and if that can interfere with phones.

I used a lanyard on our first cruise, but after reading what others have used, I will be using a very small cross body purse that fits just my phone and KTTW card. I use my phone for pictures and navigator, and I can't stand having it in my pocket or carrying it. With an ultra small cross body, my hands are free.

I wish they had all the info on Magic Bands like at WDW and the resorts. I love being able to not have to carry anything.
They can’t because you have to show your card to security at some ports.

Plus you need a card for the lights, I know any card will do but we use the key card.

Plus I would hate wearing a band on my arm all the time too. When at WDW I’m the one that would forget it in the room sitting on a table and have to run back to the room.

I have to wear a lanyard for work every weekday with my work badge and don't even notice it. But then, I have a nice soft well-made lanyard that I bought myself. Maybe some of the cheaper ones people get because they are Disney-themed are not as comfy. Get a good quality one and you won't even notice it is there.

No--I kept my lanyard and phone together in a case together on a lanyard the entire time of our 7 day cruise and had no issues.

Depends on the hotel card. These are RFID of some kind, not something that needs to be swiped. They're very robust and I don't think a phone is going to wipe them out.

I wear a lanyard. It's convenient.

The only drawback is the less than "designer look" on a formal night. I don't carry a purse, wristlet, and my phone has a hardcover. Tried the 'stick it in the bra' but the hard plastic shape showed right through the dress.

This is why I become the designated KTTW holder on formal night. It keeps the lanyards out of our classy photos and I can slide the cards into a jacket pocket without much bulk showing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter